Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 10:09:16 PM EDT
Well, I picked up a tac vest and drop leg mag pouch for $120.  Stuff seems pretty nice for what it is, and good enough for messing around in the woods and such.  Has a lifetime warranty so I figure you can't go wrong.  Eager to see how it is.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
This one looks like the cheapo I bought from Cheaper Than Dirt.  The only difference is Tapco wants $90 and I paid $50.  I guess Tapco bought up all their gear.

Tactical Vest
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit.  Maybe I can cancel my order in time?  This is what happens when I buy impulsively.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
This one is similar and $30.  There are others there, but definately cheaper than Tapco.

Tacticool Vest
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of those from CTD. Of course, I paid $50. The belt is crap and I don;t like the holster break, but other than that I was happy with it for the price. Several makers produce really similar ones, roughly similar in quality. But MOLLE is in, and these are fixed features. Many of these are really not meant for anything more than airsoft, but if they work for you, they work for you.

Anybody want mine? I upgraded recently.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to start out by saying that if that is what you can afford for now that that is great use it for all you can. However you may want to look in the EE and you may be able to find what you are looking for at a resonable price. The vests and mag holders that you are looking at are not even on par with Blackhawk standards, I guess they are made in the crappier part of Vietnam by younger less experianced children. Like I said if that is what you can budget for now then thats fine just save up and get something better down the road. I have been that route and I regret it. Just my .02  Flame away.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to start out by saying that if that is what you can afford for now that that is great use it for all you can. However you may want to look in the EE and you may be able to find what you are looking for at a resonable price. The vests and mag holders that you are looking at are not even on par with Blackhawk standards, I guess they are made in the crappier part of Vietnam by younger less experianced children. Like I said if that is what you can budget for now then thats fine just save up and get something better down the road. I have been that route and I regret it. Just my .02  Flame away.

I totally understand.  I just want something that will work somewhat well, and hold my mags and such.  Only time I am really going to use it is when I am out in the woods blasting.  I just didn't feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars on the better stuff.  I know this can be an unpopular route on ARFCOM.  Now, I just hope I can get my order canceled in time.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My cheapo one is just fine.  I'm sure it is for airsoft, but I have all the pockets full of mags and hanging on a wall hanger for some time now.  It hasn't fell apart yet.

While it is a fun simple vest, I would definately use my HSGI Wasatch for any real emergencies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My cheapo one is just fine.  I'm sure it is for airsoft, but I have all the pockets full of mags and hanging on a wall hanger for some time now.  It hasn't fell apart yet.

While it is a fun simple vest, I would definately use my HSGI Wasatch for any real emergencies.

And that is just fine hopefully no one thought I was being an A-hole because that's not how I wanted to come off. If you are not going to use it for anything other than going out and blasting in the woods and playing around with it then that vest will serve you just fine. Again hope I wasn't to much of a jackass and a gear snob.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
None taken here. I understand where you were coming from and totally agree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I totally understand.  I just want something that will work somewhat well, and hold my mags and such.  Only time I am really going to use it is when I am out in the woods blasting.  

For your needs 2 to 4 USGI LC-1 pouches, a web belt, and suspenders would have done every thing you need on the cheap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of the new molle gear that Cheaper Than Dirt is selling is actually pretty nice.  I have a couple of their double and triple mag pouches that are very well made, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I had my order cancelled.  I have been thinking that maybe I should invest a little more, just in case I do want to use it for something like practical rifle, etc.  I am really quite new to any sort of tactical gear, so I need a little advice.  I know I want a vest, one I can put mag pouches on and a holster possibly, and be able to have a drop leg mag pouch.  Is MOLLE what I am looking for?  And if so, can anyone point in some directions.  Is Blackhawk the only choice when it comes to nice stuff?  Is there anything maybe in between Blackhawk and the TAPCO/CTD stuff.  Thanks for any pointers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Heres what I going to get, or already have.
1. drop leg pistol holster or belt holster.
2. pistol belt w/HSGI suspenders. suspenders are so I don't have to tighten my pistol belt as tight. I may make this a under belt/ pistol belt combo.
3. drop leg molle panel to carry 2 TT 7.62 shingles + pistol mag carrier.
    this will be my 1st line gear. if I take off my vest/ plate carrier etc. I'll still be GTG.
4. dump bag on vest or belt.
5. Wasatch or other vest/ plate carrier.
6. Ruck or 3 day AP.
This is a work in progress I still need to work out all the details.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't buy cheap gear... that's a lesson EVERYONE learns sooner or later... now heres a tip from your Ole Uncle Harv.....

I rarely buy new gear, their is so much used stuff floating around on different boards and their Exchange forums.
And I can tell you that 90% of the sellers are selling practically new in the wrap gear, or gear they bought for a class, wore it once, and decided it was not for them. Pick up a piece here...a piece their... I can buy top quality Eagle and SOTech and Paraclete gear that is slightly used then what you could any of that cheap chinese made Tapco crap.....

Propblast is correct, a lot of that stuff is horribly made overseas Air-soft  crap.. but hey, if your happy with cheap crap.......welcome to America.. land of free choice.. but their are such better options if your a smart shopper.

You just have to be patient... watch the boards and strike fast when something pops up...

oh , and if you like like the cheap crap... then your one less guy I gotta compete with when it comes to buying the good stuff on the EE board....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't buy cheap gear... that's a lesson EVERYONE learns sooner or later... now heres a tip from your Ole Uncle Harv.....

I rarely buy new gear, their is so much used stuff floating around on different boards and their Exchange forums.
And I can tell you that 90% of the sellers are selling practically new in the wrap gear, or gear they bought for a class, wore it once, and decided it was not for them. Pick up a piece here...a piece their... I can buy top quality Eagle and SOTech and Paraclete gear that is slightly used then what you could any of that cheap chinese made Tapco crap.....

Propblast is correct, a lot of that stuff is horribly made overseas Air-soft  crap.. but hey, if your happy with cheap crap.......welcome to America.. land of free choice.. but their are such better options if your a smart shopper.

You just have to be patient... watch the boards and strike fast when something pops up...

oh , and if you like like the cheap crap... then your one less guy I gotta compete with when it comes to buying the good stuff on the EE board....

Thanks for the advice.  Can you tell me anything about this vest from Blackhawk.  It looks a lot like a vest CTD is selling, but I am assuming this is a better vest since it is Blackhawk.  Is that a fair assumption?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I would say anything with the word "leapers in it is pretty much crap( My opinion..YMMV). the Black Hawk gear gets a bad rap but is not that bad, that sale price is good. No one buys those types of vest much anymore as MOLLE type modular vests with removable pouches is all the rage. Black Hawks quality is pretty good and the customer service is VERY good from my experience. For what you want, that BH vest will last you a lifetime.

Plus you want to stay away from vests with Holsters on them. Try doing a transition from Pistol to rifle when you have your dead carbine and sling hanging over that holster where you pistol is....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice.  Can you tell me anything about this vest from Blackhawk.  It looks a lot like a vest CTD is selling, but I am assuming this is a better vest since it is Blackhawk.  Is that a fair assumption?  Thanks.

Both vests look like ripoffs of Eagle's vests. I bought an Eagle Tac V1-MS and I'm VERY happy with it. Added 4 Paraclete double M-4 pouches (8 mags total), a double accessory pouch (old LBE gear I had), and just need to add pistol holster and pistol mag pouches.

Better you should save your money and get the good stuff. Blackhawk is not good stuff; it's barely adequate crapola made in Vietnam or China for the most part. You can buy cheap, but you run the risk of it not holding up and then you have to buy the good stuff to replace it.

Browse here to get educated: lightfighter.net/eve?cdra=Y&s=7336015661  Be SURE to post an intro in the Crusader's Hall BEFORE your first post or people will jump your shit. There are alot of folk who really know alot there, but they can be a bit abrasive at times.

As far as vendors, try lightfighter.com/
www.optactical.com/
tacticaltailor.com/
eagleindustries.com/welcome.asp
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks a lot guys, that helps.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I ended up ordering this after reading some reviews, and figuring out what I really needed.  This should have everything I need, with a little room for customization.  Should be quality as well.  Thanks for eveyone's advice.  

ETA pic

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Smart move I was going to tell you to get a chest rig rather than a vest, much better route. Now get out to a PR match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top