Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 8:34:02 AM EDT
Can anyone assist me in putting together a complete gear setup based on a quality MOLLE system (ammo pouches, thigh holster, hydration system, belt, suspenders, etc.) or, refer me to someone who can?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to provide more information. What are you using the gear for? What type of set up are you looking for. What type of pistol do you run, what type of rifle etc... things like that

I can tell you what I run but that won't help you out because your use of the gear could be different then my use of the gear. Some of it may seem great and then when you actually run it you find it doesn't work for you. So one thing I will say is no matter what anyone reccomends, find someone who has the gear and is willing to let you try it out first. Or at least get a good hands on look at it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
General setup for extended combat operations, can accomodate SAPI plates...M16 mags, sidearm is a Glock 21.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
General setup for extended combat operations, can accomodate SAPI plates...M16 mags, sidearm is a Glock 21.

Still many many ways to go with that.
granted I'm not going on any combat ops though

I run an SOTech Callahan for my plate carrier and to carry my mags, it's augmented with a couple additional mag pouches from Specter gear to give me 10 rifle mags. There is a double pistol mag pouch on it as well.

I Run a Specter drop leg holster for my pistol on a TT pistol belt. Also on the pistol belt is Maxpedition M5 pouch that i use as a med kit(not a BOK but a general boo boo kit) and SOE dump pouch with two pistol mag pouches on it as well.

On the back of the callhan I run a Blackhawk STRIKE hydration carrier for my camelback.
It works for my uses, which is mainly firearms classes and training sessions with the local crew.

The other routes are of course the HSGI Woosatch/Weesatch/Wasatch

Then there is the standard interceptor vests used by the military as well.

Then ya got all the blackhawk gear and the paraclete stuff and the TT stuff and specops brand and.....well you get the picture.

As far as holsters there are tons of them, most people will probably say get a safariland 6004. I know I'd would go that route if they made one for my primary pistol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks - I appreciate your time...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks - I appreciate your time...

Not a problem, just remeber try before you buy if you can. I've gone through three different setups and the first one never made it into use before I realised it just wasn't what I wanted.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can anyone assist me in putting together a complete gear setup based on a quality MOLLE system (ammo pouches, thigh holster, hydration system, belt, suspenders, etc.) or, refer me to someone who can?

Thanks for your time.

dude, I could tell you what I use, but that would take about 1/2 hour to type out, and you still wouldn't have any idea WHY I 'm using what I am, and whether it will work for you and your circumstances.  

Do some research, buy some stuff, and then USE it, train with it.  You will find that what you thought you would like is crap, what you didn't realize you would like is GTG, and so on.  

There are as many opinions about this stuff as there are options to be had.  

One good piece of advice is to avoid cheap crap off of ebay or stuff made for airsoft.  

Brands like Tactical Tailor, Eagle, High Speed Gear, Kifaru, Esstac, etc. will serve you much better than something that looks like a cheap copy of a Blackhawk vest made in God knows where.  You won't save money with that stuff, you'll end up spending more because you won't like and you'll have to spend more in the long run.  I know from experience.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fortunately, my choice of a .38 and a 10/22 for weapons has drastically reduced the amount of gear choices I must make.

All that aside, read this forum back and forth and you will get a huge amount of advice, info, opinions, and techniques.  You should get a pretty good idea of which way you need to go just from that.

Hey brassburn to tie this thread with the patches thread, you need to post some new gear photos on the other board.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fortunately, my choice of a .38 and a 10/22 for weapons has drastically reduced the amount of gear choices I must make.

All that aside, read this forum back and forth and you will get a huge amount of advice, info, opinions, and techniques.  You should get a pretty good idea of which way you need to go just from that.

Hey brassburn to tie this thread with the patches thread, you need to post some new gear photos on the other board.

HELLS YEAH!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
C.I.R.A.S.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
C.I.R.A.S.

Thx.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of the important factors have been covered. Look at your area of operation and apply common sense.

For instance... if you're running or contorting your self a lot (read urban environment) then you might want to avoid subloads and other crap that will be ripping up your legs as it bounces and chafes!

If you're going to be prone a lot, then subloads are cool once you figure out how best to situate them. At the same time, you'd want to avoid the bulky front/chest/belly mounted pouches that are going to make it uncomfortable and awkward to be prone.

If you're just looking for general use gear, you still need to remember that you get what you pay for. I'm a huge Tactical Tailor fan, haven't had any of that gear fit badly or fail. Eagle is next on that list for me, followed by HSGI and SpecOps. I personally stay away from Blackhawk brand or blessed gear because it really isn’t made as well as implied and I don’t like wasting my finite funding on crap gear.

Remember as well that just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. If you're getting a plate carrier and plates, that stuff alone ain't very light. Add ammo, water, tools, knives, aid pouch, flares/strobe. commo and other basic sustainment and you end up with 50+ pounds of gear (haven't weighed mine because I know that bitch is heavy) to start. That doesn't count a typically over loaded pack and secondary sustainment gear.

I'm set up so that I have my side arm, fixed blade knife, 4 mags (2x2 pouches), dropleg panel w/ holster all on a separate belt. The Plate carrier has the 10 AR mags, admin pouch and hydration. This way I can be without the chest rig and still have my side arm and not have to change up the side arm holster again.

When I need to move cross country or shoot long range, I opt for a traditional LBE w/ a minimum of gear attached. Been eye’ing a few waste packs, but the LBE (good old USGI issue) has always been there for me and I know it is not going to fall apart on me in the field.

Just again remember, gear up for where you are going to be using it. Don't buy Woodland cammo if you live in the desert, don't buy black unless you think you're a fricken Ninja or are planning on doing a personal cammo job on it. Yes Nylon likes Krylon, I just don't advise it.

This is my personal opinion and drawn from my personal experience... take it with a grain of salt and do your research. The net is a good place to find gear opinions... but they are all just opinions. You will have to decide what your budget and preferences are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top