Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:27:38 PM EDT
chest rigs? which ones and why .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:05:49 PM EDT
I used my TT MAV in its first 3-gun match yesterday with great success. I have the two piece version with four two-mag pouches which turned out to be very versatile. One pouch carried two AR mags, one carried four 1911 mags with the flap tucked inside, one carried one AR mag with the flap tucked in (very quick access for the AR reload), and the last was empty with the flap tucked in to serve as a dump pouch. Each carried two shotgun shells on the outside. I was extremely happy with the setup a ran much faster with it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:04:37 AM EDT
It depends on how much ammunition you want to carry, and what the course of fire may require.

It also depends on your preferences.

Some folks like to have their shotshells secured in loops individually, while others prefer to dump a box of shells in a GP style pouch. Some prefer to carry all their pistol mags on their belt, while others will add them to a chest rig and/or drop rig.

Most matches I've been to, in the course of fire for an individual stage, may be up to 35 shotshells, 60 rifle rounds, and 50 pistol rounds. I usually shoot a 1300 Defender, AR15, and Glock. So, that means I need to carry, on my person, 28 shotshells, 1 or 2 rifle mags (carrying a spare), and 4 pistol magazines (provided guns are already loaded). Therefore, I usually run:

Belt with triple pistol mag pouch, double rifle mag pouch, and a GP pouch with a box or so of shotshells. I add a holster (either thigh or belt, depending on what I feel like), a dump pouch, flashlight (for the shoothouse stages), and a first aid kit. More ammo and such resides in the backpack.

If you want to wear the war load for the entire match (like the Cav Arms guys), then you can wear any quality chest rig/vest with the appropriate pouches for your guns. I've used a fully loaded TT MAV, a PPM Patroller (fully loaded). Fully loaded was 8 AR magazines, 5 pistol mags, 35 shotshells. I recommend balancing the load, and make sure that the pouches/rig/vest does not interfere with your pistol drawstroke.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:03:16 PM EDT
It also depends on what kind of 3-Gun match it is and what your goals are.

If you're shooting USPSA 3-Gun or Multi-gun with the intent of "winning," a chest rig is not only not necessary, it's going to be too slow. You'd be much better served with open-topped mag carriers on your belt made of Kydex or stiff nylon.

If you're in one of the more "tactical" 3-Gun matches, you may have different equipment needs and a chest rig may be more useful to you. This is especially true if you have to carry all of your gear all the time, or have some enormous course of fire requiring 100+ rounds.

If you're shooting to improve your skills and have fun, then it's all personal preferance. I'd go with something that allows plenty of freedom of movement and has quick access to the magazines. Open top single pouches are probably the best bet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:19:08 AM EDT
I have an older Blackhawk shotgun chest plate that carries 24 12ga shells and 2 pistol mags. The shotgun shells are used as my 1st line reloads and the pistol mags are my 2nd line reloads. But I don't run speedloaders for my shotgun. For a USPSA 3 gun match I lose a lot of time because I don't use shotgun speedloaders. They are just too "gamey" for me. Kydex belt pouches for pistol/ rifle mags are very fast. Look at the SOF legal rifle pouches as they are more secure than the regular 3 gun ones.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:19:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:
It also depends on what kind of 3-Gun match it is and what your goals are.

If you're shooting USPSA 3-Gun or Multi-gun with the intent of "winning," a chest rig is not only not necessary, it's going to be too slow. You'd be much better served with open-topped mag carriers on your belt made of Kydex or stiff nylon.

If you're in one of the more "tactical" 3-Gun matches, you may have different equipment needs and a chest rig may be more useful to you. This is especially true if you have to carry all of your gear all the time, or have some enormous course of fire requiring 100+ rounds.

If you're shooting to improve your skills and have fun, then it's all personal preferance. I'd go with something that allows plenty of freedom of movement and has quick access to the magazines. Open top single pouches are probably the best bet.

+1

I have shot at a few of the more "tactical" type 2 and 3-gun matches and preferred a belt set-up over a vest. A duty belt (on my 34" waist) holds a pouch of 25 shotgun shells, 6 pistol mags and 4 AR mags all within easy reach. The really nice thing about it is it is easily configurable from stage to stage depending on what I need for that stage. Much faster than a vest for mag changes, but perhaps less Tacticool though if you are going for the mil/LE training aspect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 9:56:12 PM EDT by SinistralRifleman]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:03:42 PM EDT
I think the tactical and competition gear are two different things that overlap a bit...

But for 3 gun, love my 3gg drop leg dual pouch for rifle and have typical IPSC safariland rig for pistols on belt. I use the rifle mag drop rig for M1A and have one for HK91 on order. For AK, I run a drum and carry a spare for malf. (never happens w/AK) on the belt, AR run a beta drum and carry one 30 rounder on belt

shotgun shells are on receiver w/3gg sidesaddle and wrist carrier and also on belt between pistol mags and pistol holster

and yes the M14 can hang w/ the .223 guys and is MAJOR
Top Top