Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:04 AM EDT
I bought a blackhawk 4 mag hip pouch, uncle mike leg holster for three gun, everything is black and I wanted to do something to make it less noticeable if the SHTF, black stands out too much.  Besides smearing mud all over it what else can I do?
Buying new gear is not an option right now, and I couldnt order the holster in OD green, back order for ever, they may not make it anymore.
thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Spray paint.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Krylon will do wonders.  Basic rules apply...multiple light coats.  THe nylon will absorb the paint so it will take several coats to get the desired effect.  Practice on an old piece of gear if you feel the need.

Kryoln makes a "Camo" line.  The OD is good.  I added some "Mushroom Satin" almost identical to the Marine Corp. coyote.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
paint will flake off, but when done correctly, it will remain on for a fair amount of time.

take whatever piece and SCUFF the surface with some medium grit sand paper, do not go back & forth as this will lead to pilling , one diraction and once the surface has been prepped, then LIGHT spray 3-5 times over.  repeat as necessary.

buckles, definitely sand that surface

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
paint will flake off, but when done correctly, it will remain on for a fair amount of time.

take whatever piece and SCUFF the surface with some medium grit sand paper, do not go back & forth as this will lead to pilling , one diraction and once the surface has been prepped, then LIGHT spray 3-5 times over.  repeat as necessary.

Excellent advice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've painted black gear  with good lasting results.

Tactical Tailor.

TG
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
anyone know why SWAT and such use black/dark colored gear?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Intimidation...I doubt six guys kicking your door in are worried about blending in to the environment.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

what about the nylon portions of my gear?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the consensus, if any, as to which color gear would be best in a city scenario?  I can guess that OD is good for suburban or woodsy areas, where there is greenery to blend into, but what about cities?  Would black work in cities, if not outside of same?  In what scenario would black gear work?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1 intimidation
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the consensus, if any, as to which color gear would be best in a city scenario?  I can guess that OD is good for suburban or woodsy areas, where there is greenery to blend into, but what about cities?  Would black work in cities, if not outside of same?  In what scenario would black gear work?  Thanks.

Black is good for intimidation.  It looks badass.
Even woodland is better in blending inan urban than black.  It breaks up the outline, and that's what the eye's look for, shapes.  Look at a person in wodland at a distance.  They sort o look like a blob.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its slimming.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 intimidation

And to differentiate themselves from a military unit.  Camo would look "army" and not "police" to the civilian observer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 intimidation

And to differentiate themselves from a military unit.  Camo would look "army" and not "police" to the civilian observer.

some SWAT units in the USA use woodland camo as well
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Intimidation...I doubt six guys kicking your door in are worried about blending in to the environment.

+1 Visual Impact
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top