Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 10:53:12 PM EDT
Any brands any good at all?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]

All I've tried are Tru-Spec.  The material is quality but after several washings they start to fade.  I wash them inside out which slows the fading but they still fade a little.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Dosen't Propper make the BDUs for the Military?

If so, I think you can buy Propper ones that do not have the USMC's emblem on it
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
ive looked at the tru-spec and they are kind of lame compared to the real thing. my issue uniforms are a very heavy weight twill. heavier than even the winter woodlands. the issue utes are made by Propper and they also make a version without the EGA embroidery. these are sold in clothing sales right next the Marine uniforms for wear by sailors who are authorized to wear Marine uniforms. namely Corpsman and Chaplains. if you can find these you will have the real deal and avoid the Marine emblem drama
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a former Marine so anyone who has a problem about me wearing MARPAT can suck my salty dick.

Finding the Propper for less than anal rape prices is the problem.

I heard about the fading issue with tru-spec; but right there in the ad it says "fade resistant"...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
uh, who cares if you wear MARPAT and arent in the Marines or not?  Its a freakin camo pattern
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
uh, who cares if you wear MARPAT and arent in the Marines or not?  Its a freakin camo pattern

B/C the real Marpat has the Eagle Globe and Anchor in the pattern.  You have to earn that, along with the title.  If you don't understand, you probably never will.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I can understand that part.. I'm refering to the pattern itself.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B/C the real Marpat has the Eagle Globe and Anchor in the pattern.  You have to earn that, along with the title.  If you don't understand, you probably never will.

BS.. If they had little infantry crossed rifles I could give a shit.  If you're not a 300 pounder talking about how you got threm in "the NAM" in front of the beef jerkey booth at the gunshow knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe it has more to do with the Marine Corps and many Marines considering the MCCUU and all its parts a Marine Corps uniform.  I personally don't care about the pattern, it's the uniform that matters.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS.. If they had little infantry crossed rifles I could give a shit.  If you're not a 300 pounder talking about how you got threm in "the NAM" in front of the beef jerkey booth at the gunshow knock yourself out.

You OK now?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I doubt the cammo effectivness is reduced due to the deletion of the miniature EGAs, so I would buy the "Navy-type" MCCU if I could get it.

And why the sensitivity to the MARPAT in particular? The woodland BDU was the "uniform" of the Corps when I was in, and can't remember other jarheads being upset at civs wearing it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I like American Apparel, they seem to be closest to actual uniforms. I own "proppers", they are lighter material than the issue uniform.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
But I thought American Apparrel WAS issue...

But what I'd REALLY like would be fatigues in solid COYOTE BROWN....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I doubt the cammo effectivness is reduced due to the deletion of the miniature EGAs, so I would buy the "Navy-type" MCCU if I could get it.

And why the sensitivity to the MARPAT in particular? The woodland BDU was the "uniform" of the Corps when I was in, and can't remember other jarheads being upset at civs wearing it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention though.

Gen Jones created the MCCUUs with an  idea to make a uniform that was destinctively Marine, to distinguish us as US Marines.  *Navy Personnel assign to the green side were more Marine than they were Sailor in most cases.

It's justs not Marine uniforms, I never really understood why someone would wear any uniform or uniform part .  I don't know about you but when we wore cammies I never wore any part of them other than when I was in uniform,  having worn them like 12-13 years at the point we switched to the MCCUUs, I never bought off on them being comfortable.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Were the restrictive regulations about wearing cammies (i.e. not authorized for liberty wear, unlike Dress and Service uniforms) also in effect for the older cammies or were those introduced with marpat?

They instill the sense that it is a uniform item and not utility clothes to be worn anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Were the restrictive regulations about wearing cammies (i.e. not authorized for liberty wear, unlike Dress and Service uniforms) also in effect for the older cammies or were those introduced with marpat?

They instill the sense that it is a uniform item and not utility clothes to be worn anywhere.

Yes, as long as I have been in the Marines cammies have not been authorized for leave or liberty (or mowing the lawn at home or hunting).  I know the wing has often turned a blind eye to the wear of uniforms in town, but in the division people got their asses chewed if caught in town in cammies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The reason I like to wear BDUs is that for shooting I find them to be BY FAR preferable to any other clothing out there. Tough, lots of pockets, loose fitting for ease in getting down into shooting positions, don't worry about them getting dirty, easy to replace, etc. I still have some Issue BDUs (I had to buy a complete seperate issue because I got stuck with a junk-on-the-bunk IG inspection) but they won't last fotrever.

And I think they are very comfortable. STLRN, I can see why you as an active duty guy would not feel right about weraing parts of your uniform; not a problem for me. Aside from my work clothes I'm a tee shirt and shorts kind of guy anyway.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Part of the rationale that I heard when I was in the Corps (most of the 1990's) was to keep some poser hosebag from running around town in utilities and making the Corps look bad.  Getting a set of Charlies right, the line went, was much more difficult and consequently harder for a poser to get ahold of.  Also, utilities are dirty work and field uniforms, and not deemed as presentable as Charlies and blues.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was on active duty, I spent so much time in BDUs I didnt care to be in them when away from work.  Now that I'm away from the military, I recognize some of the benefits BDUs (especially pants) offer. If some active duty guy gets pissed because I have a set of BDU/MARPAT/ACU/etc on.... get over it. They're just clothes afterall
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone bitching about acivvie wearing surplus BDU's is like me bitching about someone wearing khakis or looking down my nose at them becuase they have a tape measure.  Everyone has a work unfirom and gear, and there is always someone else wearing your work unifrom or gear outside of your job.  If Uncle Sam didn't want the unfiroms being used outside of the military, DRMO wouldn't be surplusing them.

[ETA]  I have sen the Truspec ones, and they are pritty chintzy (plus they don't come in a standrd mil sizes, at least anything smaller than a "med reg").  The proppers looked decent, mbut I am not expert.  For the prcie I think the Proppers woudl be ok, and I think bdu.com carries them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
jeebus, it didnt take long for this to degenerate into the usual MARPAT pissin contest. i really dont give a shit if wearing them to the gunshow and the range makes you feel tacticool and just a little bit more more highspeed than the guy in the lane next to you. this thread was about whether or not the copies are as well made as the issue. they are not. case closed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If Uncle Sam didn't want the unfiroms being used outside of the military, DRMO wouldn't be surplusing them.

They actually stopped DRMOing uniforms, along with armor, to civilian sources years ago.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If Uncle Sam didn't want the unfiroms being used outside of the military, DRMO wouldn't be surplusing them.

They actually stopped DRMOing uniforms, along with armor, to civilian sources years ago.  

Huh, I didn't know that...news to me.  

So where do the huge lots of suprlus cammies in all the surplus stores come from?  I know they are not buying the stuff one piece at a time from guys who get out of the service...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So where do the huge lots of suprlus cammies in all the surplus stores come from?  I know they are not buying the stuff one piece at a time from guys who get out of the service...

Don't know where it's coming from but I know for sure that DRMO was suppose to stop DRMOing clothing and armor, and a few other things, a couple years ago.  They only people eligible to get those items are other government agencies.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Picked up a pair of the ACU pattern at www.bdu.com, they also have other patterns, not sure about the marpat though?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#27]
were they milspec, edblevi?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
My issued DCUs are Tru-Spec came in a Bulk Buy.  Look normal but all my DCUs have been Tru-Spec except I do like my flight suits when I was on a Air Crew when I was in intel.  Dont know why I said that but its late and I need sleep out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#29]
No they are Propper. From my nonfabric oriented mind I can not tell the difference between these and the military issue ones, velcro and all. Fit is standard and consistent. No complaints from me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Got any pics, edblevi?

Propper makes the MCCU; who makes the ACU?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know where it's coming from but I know for sure that DRMO was suppose to stop DRMOing clothing and armor, and a few other things, a couple years ago.  They only people eligible to get those items are other government agencies.

Government Liquidation has a s**tload of auctions coming out of Barstow, CA that are nothing but bins of DCU pants/shirts/hats. You want 150 pr of small/short DCU pants? It's there. The only sizes they don't seem to have are the medium and large sizes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Well since the ACU in the Army and the MARPAT are replacing both te woodland and desert BDU's, they aren't truly uniforms anymore.

Didn't the Marines patent the pattern or something?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#34]
My old man who was in the marines bought mine for me at pendelton and says nothing about me wearing them to dink around in. I told him about people being mad that only marines should be able to wear them he said its the man in the uniform not what hes wearing that makes a marine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey edblevi, is the bdu.com fabric the older greener variety or the newer darker/tanner kind?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top