Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/19/2003 6:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 6:14:56 PM EDT by xbigfootx]
US cav has a nice looking "enhanced alice" pack on their website, but it is different from the other large alice packs I've seen. The description is kinda vague on USCAV site. Will a normal ALICE frame work with this pack, as with the extra thick shoulder straps and nicer kidney pads? The pack is going to be used for hiking/backpacking a few times a year if that matters. Thanks for any info you can guys can give me.

www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail.asp?stk_code=WB19717=

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 7:10:58 PM EDT by Hoplophile]
A normal frame should work, but I notice that it's made by Blackhawk. That means that it's made in a 3rd world country, probably VietNam, and doesn't use real Cordura. If you're going to spend a couple hundred on a pack, make sure you're going to get your money's worth.

Take a look at offerings from other manufacturers such as Tactical Tailors MALICE pack. www.tacticaltailor.com/catalog/detail/malice.htm

www.lightfigher.com sells several good packs.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:51:05 AM EDT
I have to agree with Hop on the Blackhawk comment. I have some of the "1st gen Blackhawk" stuff that was made here. Top notch, well made.

I also have some of the current gen, overseas made stuff and it cannot hold a candle to the US made stuff...I gave it to my kid to play Army in...

You can get a ALICE pack, there is one for sale in the Gear forum, and get the better, padded straps and belt from Ranger Joes or whoever and have a better ALICE pack than the original....at a fraction of the cost...
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
You could probably find that pack 10$ cheaper,but even at that price I would go for the higher quality pack or just a decent issue pack.

Bigger pack = heavier loads

I have a BHI patrol pack and that is holding up,but I can see that if I was capapble of loading it heavier how(fabric and seams) could fail.I have 'destroyed'a BHI LBV.I have a bunch of BHI black gear,that seldom gets used,and would be afraid to take to the field.

Your about/almost halfway ($200) monetarily, to a 'top of the line' pack,a LIFETIME investment,if that's the way you look at it(gear),so I would save up,and leave the mediocre gear for someone else.
If finances are a concern get a GI large.Save and by the time you wear it out you will be able to afford the best.

BulletcatchR
Top Top