Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2017 2:14:46 AM EDT
I'm looking at either getting a .410 pump action or s x s just for fun, maybe for my wife to use. What defensive ammo is recommended?

What guns are there that shoot .410 / .45 LC besides what Taurus and S & W make?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for 45/410 in a SxS pistol, have a look at the IFG Howdah. It's kinda based on the old 1920's era Ithaca Auto & Burglar...

IFG Howdah

Hickok45 playing with the Howdah

If you are looking for pump, I picked up a Mossberg 500 Home Security 410 a few years back just for giggles (it was on sale), and my teenage daughter has claimed that as her personal home defense gun.

Mossberg HS-410

As for Self Defense ammo - since the Taurus Judge & S&W Governor came out, ammo makers have come out with a good selection of ammo for them.  I have mine loaded with Federal's 3" 000 Buck load - you get 5,  000 pellets in each shell - at close range, it will do the job.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are looking for 45/410 in a SxS pistol, have a look at the IFG Howdah. It's kinda based on the old 1920's era Ithaca Auto & Burglar...

IFG Howdah

Hickok45 playing with the Howdah

If you are looking for pump, I picked up a Mossberg 500 Home Security 410 a few years back just for giggles (it was on sale), and my teenage daughter has claimed that as her personal home defense gun.

Mossberg HS-410

As for Self Defense ammo - since the Taurus Judge & S&W Governor came out, ammo makers have come out with a good selection of ammo for them.  I have mine loaded with Federal's 3" 000 Buck load - you get 5,  000 pellets in each shell - at close range, it will do the job.

Have fun,
Bob S.
View Quote
I saw the Youtube video on the Pedersoli Howdah in .410 and .45 LC and would really fit what I'm looking for, but the MSRP of $1300 is kind of out of my price range. the 20 ga version in cool and has a MSRP of $800-900, but isn't what I'm looking for right now.

I will probably end up getting the Mossberg 500 .410. I still really want something that shoots .410 and .45 LC besides what Taurus and S&W make.

As for ammo the Horandy 2 1/2 FTX slug, Federal 3" 5 000 buckshot, and Remington Ultimate Home Defense 3" 5 000 buckshot all look like there worth a try.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not the Rossi Circuit Judge?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Bond Arms makes a two shot Derringer in .410/45 Long Colt which I've shot.  A Friend bought the Bond Arms but the only cartridge I would use for defense would be 45 LC like Silvertips.  The .410 slugs are ok but not accurate in the Bond Arms whereas there were good enough for close range out of the Taurus judge.

For defense against feral  dogs the buck shot might be OK but I think the real utility of the .410/45 is for use against snakes and 45 LC against 2 legged vermin.

Another good shotgun in 410 is the Old Stevens or Remington 870  pump if  you can find one.  A Friend has a Stevens .410 and it is really a good shooter.

The only design flaw on the Stevens/Savage shotguns is the magazine cap is made out of plastic.  My buudy's .410 Sstevens cap broke but I found a replacement from Out Back gun parts in Southern Indiana.  Most of the other parts are available on Numerich.

Here is an example like my Buddy's .410

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/692969888

http://www.outbackgunparts.com/Products.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top