Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 3:07:58 PM EDT
So I just bought an old Remington model 11. 12 gauge, 1923 made.
It's in pretty good condition, no cracks or anything, but the fiber pad needs to be replaced. I found a new one but no idea where to find the rivet. So my questions are this.

- can I cut the barrel down without effecting function? Since the whole barrel moves under recoil.
- anybody successfully replaced one of those fiber pads?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I've replaced the fiber pad. Tap the new rivit in with a long ratchet extension from the removed barrel end of the broke open receiver. A third hand helps hold the receiver steady.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
They work fine with a cut down barrel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They work fine with a cut down barrel.
View Quote
Yup. Mine is 1926 vintage IIRC. Had a "normal" longer, hunting type barrel. Steve Rose at RAS cut it to 20-inches for me and installed a base and bead. The thing is a monster,  runs everything put into it without fail. The little fiber pad on mine is intact and appears to be in pretty good shape, so I have no experience with that. If I did need help I'd call Steve at RAS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Never done it myself but I was once told that a little dab of this

to "glue" the new fibre buffer to the receiver eliminates the need for the rivet and does a much better job holding it in place for it's intended purpose.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Any photos of the new purchase??
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a new fiber pad online and paid a gunsmith to install it correctly with a new rivet. Badass!! I'm adding a rem 870 mag extension to it soon. Here's a picture of it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top