Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 1:15:58 PM EDT
Assuming you got ahold of a virgin action, could you whack the barrel down, slap on a "birds heads" grip as long as it is 26+??? I have a shock wave already, but for some reason I want a short barreled side by side... NYS dont allow SBS, but.... the shockwave is 100% good to go.. soo seems there might be a work around...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup should be fine.

Finding the virgin action is the hard part.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The reason the Mossberg Shockwave  can use a 14" barrel is the length of the action is much longer than a SxS - with the SxS, you'll be very close (if not longer) than 18" barrels to make the 26" OAL.

Get out your tape measure.  

Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The reason the Mossberg Shockwave  can use a 14" barrel is the length of the action is much longer than a SxS - with the SxS, you'll be very close (if not longer) than 18" barrels to make the 26" OAL.

Get out your tape measure.  

Bob S.
View Quote
26 is 26.. barrel may be over 14 inches, but the gun will be the same length as the shockwave..
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought some company in US should make a receiver that would accept Chinese coach gun parts. Then you'd have ability to do AOWs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
27.75" for the triple threat shotgun without the stock attachment.  If you got a little more aggressive on shortening the grip you could get closer to 26" and not lose any control.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/1/14/chiappa-arms-triple-threat/
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Double barrel pump, one rack loads one shell into each chamber, single trigger like a single trigger break open, action locked until second of two rounds is fired.

12 rounds of self-defense on tap.

We went to the moon. It can be done.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Double barrel pump, one rack loads one shell into each chamber, single trigger like a single trigger break open, action locked until second of two rounds is fired.

12 rounds of self-defense on tap.

We went to the moon. It can be done.
View Quote
Yup - it's called the DP-12...

Double barrel pump shotgun
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

26 is 26.. barrel may be over 14 inches, but the gun will be the same length as the shockwave..
View Quote
Yes - I know that.   Maybe I should have added it might be as simple as buying a modern coach gun, and cutting the stock down until you hit 26" OAL.  It will still be a shotgun legally and not a "firearm", but the end result would be the same.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll  raise you....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This^

I measured my 20ga SxS coachgun. It has 20" barrels and it would be 27" if I cut it off right at the end of the grip.

The thing that makes me hesitant is the thought of the tang safety shredding the web of my hand.  

Gloves might help.

It could be fun though............

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/13714003_1416793061670568_711512561_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMwNzg3MDc4NDM5NTg2NzgwOQ%3D%3D.2
View Quote
This what Im getting at, only with a OAL 26.5..

ETA... What is considered the "Action" or "receiver" part of gun like this.. In other words where does the barrel begin.. Immediately at the end were you load the shells? or after the "chamber"
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA... What is considered the "Action" or "receiver" part of gun like this.. In other words where does the barrel begin.. Immediately at the end were you load the shells? or after the "chamber"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This^

I measured my 20ga SxS coachgun. It has 20" barrels and it would be 27" if I cut it off right at the end of the grip.

The thing that makes me hesitant is the thought of the tang safety shredding the web of my hand.  

Gloves might help.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/13714003_1416793061670568_711512561_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMwNzg3MDc4NDM5NTg2NzgwOQ%3D%3D.2

barrel length is breechface to muzzle

ETA: measured with the action closed of course
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always wanted a 12" BP sxs with a stock
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always wanted a 12" BP sxs with a stock
View Quote
Me too... I have plenty of shotguns, but there is just something about a short SXS... I cant own SBS in NY, but the shockwave is legal, hence me starting this thread.. Agreed a short sxs with a stock is hands down better, but I would settle for a short barreled "birdshead" gripped one if Its do able..
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Me too... I have plenty of shotguns, but there is just something about a short SXS... I cant own SBS in NY, but the shockwave is legal, hence me starting this thread.. Agreed a short sxs with a stock is hands down better, but I would settle for a short barreled "birdshead" gripped one if Its do able..
View Quote
I had cut down an old fox sterlingworth to 18.5 and formed a birdshead grip with the stock. I sold it to a friend but I've killed a turkey with it while backpacking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This^

Gloves might help.

So it sounds like you could get what you want by taking a 20" barreled coach gun and cutting off the stock to form a pistol grip, then cutting the barrels to 19.5" (why bother for 1/2"?). This would put the overall length at approximately 26.5", so it would not be an NFA regulated, short-barreled shotgun. Any shorter than 26" overall length, and it becomes a short-barreled shotgun.

The important thing to remember is that with a "shockwave", you are trading barrel length for pistol grip length. Also, if the host gun ever was a "shotgun" (meaning it has/had a shoulder stock), you cannot shorten its barrel(s) to less than 18", regardless of the resulting overall length, without becoming a short-barreled shotgun. Either way, the overall length of the "firearm" still must be at least 26" to be non-NFA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a 1897 stock that had an unrepairable split in it. I was able to make a pistol grip out of it. I had it on a E model 1897 with 18 inch barrel.

I thought the OAL was something less than 28 inches. Maybe 27 inches. I have it around here some where, but have not been able to find it.

I pull out one of the 97 trenchguns and check if I am remembering right.

A 97 shockwave take down would be neat. I would have a Bullet SBS if I could own one here. SBR yes but no SBS yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This^

Gloves might help.

View Quote
Bought an old single shot from my cousin for $10 years ago. Chopped both ends. With an 18 1/4" barrel I had to leave a couple inches of stock past the pistol grip to stay above 26". With the barrel going back into the receiver like singles and doubles do, you'll have a tough time finding one where the design of the gun will allow a sub-18" barrel and a short enough rear end to maintain legal OAL.

And it's not the thumb safety you have to worry about shredding your hand, it's the lever to open the gun. I think only 4 people shot that gun before I sold it(including me). All 4 of us split the web of our hand with the lever. Two more did the same after I sold it and they ignored my advice to wear gloves.

ETA-there have been times I've considered a tax stamp for my H&R 10 gauge. If I cut it to 10" who wants to shoot it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bought an old single shot from my cousin for $10 years ago. Chopped both ends. With an 18 1/4" barrel I had to leave a couple inches of stock past the pistol grip to stay above 26". With the barrel going back into the receiver like singles and doubles do, you'll have a tough time finding one where the design of the gun will allow a sub-18" barrel and a short enough rear end to maintain legal OAL.
View Quote
Just for clarification, if it was ever a "shotgun" (had a stock), you can't legally go below a 18" barrel without paying for the SBS tax stamp - even if you make the 26" OAL requirement.

At my LGS, they have the Zenith Coach Gun in stock, with it's 18.5" barrel, you could cut it down to just the pistol grip and maintain a 27" OAL - it's tempting...  

Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just for clarification, if it was ever a "shotgun" (had a stock), you can't legally go below a 18" barrel without paying for the SBS tax stamp - even if you make the 26" OAL requirement.

View Quote
Well aware of that-just pointing out that with the location of the barrel and how it ends up farther back in a break action the vast majority are going to hit the 26" mark well before the barrel gets short enough for the gun to need "not a shotgun" status.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#21]
You could make it happen with a side-by-side: All it would take to run barrels shorter than 18" and remain non-NFA would be a virgin receiver and a reeeeally looooong "shockwave" style pistol grip. Yes, it would look quite ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
HOLY crap OP you absolutely MUST post pics please.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
You could always buy the Pedersoli "Auto & Burglar" Howdah 45/410 double barrel pistol. Not cheap, though.

Howdah pistol

Howdah review
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You could always buy the Pedersoli "Auto & Burglar" Howdah 45/410 double barrel pistol. Not cheap, though.

Howdah pistol

Howdah review
View Quote
If avoiding NFA issues is the point, then Pedersoli's repro of the old Ithaca Auto-Burglar is the way to go for a quality piece. The only issue with it is that the gauge (.410) sucks.

In a 10" dbl barrel shotty package, the optimum minimum caliber is 20ga, but then there's that pesky NFA thang.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy one!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds pointless since you'll have to have a barrel over 18" to meet the minimum length requirement of 26" overall. Even if you use a 18" barrel it will be NFA because the overall length is under 26" long. So you can forget using a barrel under 18" and not being NFA, not going to happen.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yup should be fine.

View Quote
Can I just make one? Let's assume I have the machine skills, would it be legal to make an other receiver?

I'd like a sxs other but honestly what I really really want is an A5 other.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can I just make one? Let's assume I have the machine skills, would it be legal to make an other receiver?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup should be fine.

Yeah it's no different legally than machining an AR lower
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Howdah pistol

Howdah review
View Quote
I'm digging this!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd rather have a 12ga
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sarco has, or had A5 receivers, lots believe them to be virgin, unbuilt receivers. IF THEY ACTUALLY ARE, they'd be a legal foundation for a project like that. Buy one(they were $50 or so) get the SN. Email Browning and see if they can confirm whether the receiver was ever completed. Buy the right screwdrivers so you don't booger the screws on assembly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If avoiding NFA issues is the point, then Pedersoli's repro of the old Ithaca Auto-Burglar is the way to go for a quality piece. The only issue with it is that the gauge (.410) sucks.

In a 10" dbl barrel shotty package, the optimum minimum caliber is 20ga, but then there's that pesky NFA thang.
View Quote
Wait, caliber makes a difference?? I didn't know the NFA discriminated between calibers
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wait, caliber makes a difference?? I didn't know the NFA discriminated between calibers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s because the pedersoli can chamber .45 colt and has rifled barrels, same as the judge.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The .410s are not handgun-size .410s. They are rifled bore, .45 Colt handguns with chambers that happen to fit a .410 shell. A 20 gauge would be a handgun-length smoothbore, ATF says no. Or, a rifled 20 would still be a gun only suitable for "shotgun" ammunition. Falls under AOW/SBS BS. This is what killed the 28 gauge Taurus Judge a few years ago. Pissed me off, I was looking forward to it. A bunch of guys ran some numbers and figured with certain powders it would be possible to get a 550 grain cast bullet out of a 28 gauge shell to .38 special velocities with similar pressure. I loved the idea, AFTER approving Taurus to bring one into the country for SHOT ATF said "nope. Can't have it here."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top