Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2017 10:23:52 PM EDT
This

With these:

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. The shockwave is allowed because that grip is not a pistol grip, so if you replace it with a pistol grip then it's an NFA weapon
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Even when all the added parts bring it way past 26" when the brace is in the open position?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Or do you mean I cannot make one based on the factory shockwave, but the idea should be ok on one built from a different pistol grip only shotgun, then shortening?

I mean, since the black aces guns are legal with folding braces and 8" barrels????
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as the overall lenght is greater than 26", you are fine.  Just like the Black Aces firearms.

On a side note, what brand of folder is that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the Hera Arms SFU.

Quality piece, I have one on a different setup.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm tempted to do that to my shockwave as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the SBX-K (as pictured) or the SBV would be the best, as far as what brace. I am not a shockwave brace fan.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. The shockwave is allowed because that grip is not a pistol grip, so if you replace it with a pistol grip then it's an NFA weapon
View Quote
Lol swing and a miss...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Should be GTG!

Only down side I see is the Mossberg safety isn't very easy to use with a vertical pistol grip setup, one place the 870 style shines.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind stocks are measured in the open position.

Braces on the other hand might be different? To be safe you might have to go with a fixed brace.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done it, pretty fun imo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep in mind stocks are measured in the open position.

Braces on the other hand might be different? To be safe you might have to go with a fixed brace.
View Quote
That is my biggest concern too, but Black Aces got their folder setup approved. I know that is a specific letter to them, on their setup....

If I can't do the folder, I may just ditch it and buy a bullpup shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Assuming one does all of the necessary NFA paperwork and decides to use one of these arm braces as a stock how would it handle the recoil? Since they are kinda soft, does it just flex and move around, or is it usable as a stock, of course after the stamp
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know how to link a youtube video, but MAC has a great video with the Fostech Origin SBV......it has a folding brace, and he shoots it from the shoulder.

If I had $3000, I would buy that SBV....mmmm
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Assuming one does all of the necessary NFA paperwork and decides to use one of these arm braces as a stock how would it handle the recoil? Since they are kinda soft, does it just flex and move around, or is it usable as a stock, of course after the stamp
View Quote
It is actually  pretty solid. I have an SBtactical SOB brace on my AR pistol and it works well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope to your "Nope"

The Raptor/Shockwave is legal because it was never a Shotgun. Starting as a virgin receiver or built from a pistol-grip-only firearm that has never had a buttstock installed, it was never designed to be fired from the shoulder which is part of the NFA/GCA definition of a "Shotgun". So now, you just need to keep it out of the AOW category by keeping the OAL >26".

Now, we could get into the DD argument but NOBODY wants to peak inside that messy diaper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I think there was a max length too?  If I'm remembering correctly it was a very narrow window meeting definition for the non-NFA guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I found a cheap knock off of a mesa high tube adapter on amazon. Should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found a cheap knock off of a mesa high tube adapter on amazon. Should be here tomorrow.
View Quote
Let us know how the copy works out.  I got my Mesa Tactical High tube adapter  for the Remington clearance at Midway, but I 'd like to see how these copies look and hold up as I am tempted to get one for the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I received the stock adaptor (in this case, brace adaptor) and it seems to be real decent. Has a few sharp corners, but very good bang for the buck....happy wirh the $30 purchase.

I haven't installed it yet as I am waiting for my pistol buffer tube and brace to show up.

More to come.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
What brand is the adapter? I see a tacstar one on amazon that looks similar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It is sold by ProSupplies and is $27.99 free shipping with Prime membership.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I decided not to do a folder. It is just shy of 32".

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20170913_181520.jpg
View Quote
 Looks Great!   Thanks for following up with a pic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is a bunch of awesome
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks both.....I think I like it too.

I ordered and received my little mini-shell adaptor too. Going to try my hand at converting  some birdshot loads into minis, as well as try the same with some cast Lee slugs. I will be careful
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you like the adapter set up now that you got it all together? I got a cheap maverick 88 that might be a good candidate for, is it easy to reach the trigger? It looks like a bit of a reach, but then again I don't a have any experience with pistol grip stocks on shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I like it. I have longer fingers, so the distance actually feels real natural.

I have had MESA adaptors in th3 past and this seems as good as they were...they never seemed too be real "precise"...haha.

I haven't (nor plan to) attach any top rail to the adaptor or anything, so can't really speak for alignment, etc...as far as that goes.

I would buy it again....especially for $28.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep us posted on rolling your own mini shells works out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Keep us posted on rolling your own mini shells works out.
View Quote
Will do. Everyone say a little prayer for my safety
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks better than I thought it would.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I shot about 3 slugs, 10 buckshot (9 pellet 00) and about 20 birdshot.

It went bang every time. Not much more to talk about...haha.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
the only thing I would hate (not your fault) is the safety location.  On a setup like this Remington wins IMO.

But that is a nice looking shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only thing I would hate (not your fault) is the safety location.  On a setup like this Remington wins IMO.

But that is a nice looking shotgun.
I won't argue that, but it's a pump shotgun, leave the chamber empty until ready to go, then pump one in the pipe...we don't need no stinking safeties
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I also have this option

It is an inch longer (if i kept it this way I would shorten the pistol buffer tube by about 1/2" so the brace would butt up against the rear of the adaptor...like that look the best).

It has recoil mitigation.

It is a bit lower to the bore, and i can use a slightly lower mount height for the reddot.

Which one looks better?

This option wouldn't be able to add a folder, the high tube option would.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it's done now...famous last words...

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Great looking firearm!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Tell us about the new sight and the mini shell holder.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Thr fiber optic front sight is made by Hiviz. It is the medium height one. I don't plan to add any type of rear...just a somewhat heads up big bead.

You do need to drill out and tap the original tapped bead hole to 6-48 and locate the rear hole too. Not real hard, but not super easy either.

The shell holder is just a standard velcro 12 guage card with self adhesives velcro cut and added to side of receiver..it fits my home brew mini-slugs real nice. They are 1.5" OAL.

Need to shoot it more. Have only test fired a handful of my mini slugs and my 7.5 mini birdshot.

Having fun with with the build though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]
My local store is selling shockwaves with braces.

I don't see how.

The braces are for pistols and these are firearms.  

Putting a brace ON a pistol doesn't change pistol status.

But putting a brace ON a firearm....?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Any brace is GTG. Arm brace and strap it to your ankle is no problem from a legal perspective. Better be more than 26” when it’s all said and done. How you use it, nobody cares. It didn’t start life as a rifle.

Everyone has a program attorney here, right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thr fiber optic front sight is made by Hiviz. It is the medium height one. I don't plan to add any type of rear...just a somewhat heads up big bead.

You do need to drill out and tap the original tapped bead hole to 6-48 and locate the rear hole too. Not real hard, but not super easy either.

The shell holder is just a standard velcro 12 guage card with self adhesives velcro cut and added to side of receiver..it fits my home brew mini-slugs real nice. They are 1.5" OAL.

Need to shoot it more. Have only test fired a handful of my mini slugs and my 7.5 mini birdshot.

Having fun with with the build though.
View Quote
can you share some info on making the mini shotgun shells? I've googled it a bit and couldn't really come up with good solid info.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Use this info at your own risk...what worked for me may not work for you. Consult an attorney.....

That behind us...

I bought the 100rd packs of Federal 7.5 Shot at wally world for $20.

I made a fixture out of a piece of 3/4" Iron pipe and a fitting. I made one to cut the shell right behind the crimp ring (saw this on youtube) and another for 2" and 1 3/4" overall unloaded shells.

I started with ones that I had cut to 1 3/4". I had removed the wad and shot, but never disturbed the powder charge.

I did purchase a Lee melting pot, the one with the pour spout on it. I used this to melt down the shot and then cast 7/8 oz. slugs in a Lee drive slug mold.

I would cut down the wad stack to what I call the gas seal (bottom portion) and then cut the top portion off and use as a mini-shot cup.

I would stack the gas seal and the mini shot cup on top of the powder charge. This would work for either the slug or a 300 grain charge of 7.5 shot. For those I would roll crimp. The shot got a clear plastic over shot card and the slugs just got the roll crimp.

The overall completed length on these would be 1.5".......that is the shortest I would go with the components I was able to use.

These worked just fine, were reduced recoil and fed good with the Opsal mini-shell adapter.....although the adapter would move around and get screwed up after a mag of shells. This could be due to my mini-shells being slightly longer then the Aguilla minis...which the adapter was designed for.

After the range session, I decided that I was going to experiment with different lengths to see how short I could go that would work without the adapter.

I have put the 1 3/4" (1 1/2" when loaded) on the back burner for now...until I save enough to buy a KSG.

My new findings are showing that if I cut the loaded birdshot to 2", I can load basically the same shells (both shot and slug) to a total loaded length of 1 3/4"......they test cycle with no adapter! With this slight added length, I can leave a little more of the wad column still in tact, and use a clear plastic card over the shot and the slug....which makes the loading more uniform every time.

I still need to do some live fire testing, but the length seems to work fine in my shockwave and my 500. WITH NO ADAPTER.

Oh, the point to this is where I was able to fit 5 standard shells in the tube, I can get 7 of my new 1 3/4" loaded length loads, as well as make reduced recoil, cheap slug loads. A person could argue the need on the birdshot loads, but the process is fun.

I may add some pictures later if people have any interest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I almost forgot.....

During my range session, I somehow ended up loosing my detent assembly in the barrel that holds the barrel nut from loosening up.

I just kept checking it and making sure it was tight. Bummer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
*snip*

View Quote
Sweet! Can't wait to see some pics of your DIY mini shell process.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Use this info at your own risk...what worked for me may not work for you. Consult an attorney.....

That behind us...

I bought the 100rd packs of Federal 7.5 Shot at wally world for $20.

I made a fixture out of a piece of 3/4" Iron pipe and a fitting. I made one to cut the shell right behind the crimp ring (saw this on youtube) and another for 2" and 1 3/4" overall unloaded shells.

I started with ones that I had cut to 1 3/4". I had removed the wad and shot, but never disturbed the powder charge.

I did purchase a Lee melting pot, the one with the pour spout on it. I used this to melt down the shot and then cast 7/8 oz. slugs in a Lee drive slug mold.

I would cut down the wad stack to what I call the gas seal (bottom portion) and then cut the top portion off and use as a mini-shot cup.

I would stack the gas seal and the mini shot cup on top of the powder charge. This would work for either the slug or a 300 grain charge of 7.5 shot. For those I would roll crimp. The shot got a clear plastic over shot card and the slugs just got the roll crimp.

The overall completed length on these would be 1.5".......that is the shortest I would go with the components I was able to use.

These worked just fine, were reduced recoil and fed good with the Opsal mini-shell adapter.....although the adapter would move around and get screwed up after a mag of shells. This could be due to my mini-shells being slightly longer then the Aguilla minis...which the adapter was designed for.

After the range session, I decided that I was going to experiment with different lengths to see how short I could go that would work without the adapter.

I have put the 1 3/4" (1 1/2" when loaded) on the back burner for now...until I save enough to buy a KSG.

My new findings are showing that if I cut the loaded birdshot to 2", I can load basically the same shells (both shot and slug) to a total loaded length of 1 3/4"......they test cycle with no adapter! With this slight added length, I can leave a little more of the wad column still in tact, and use a clear plastic card over the shot and the slug....which makes the loading more uniform every time.

I still need to do some live fire testing, but the length seems to work fine in my shockwave and my 500. WITH NO ADAPTER.

Oh, the point to this is where I was able to fit 5 standard shells in the tube, I can get 7 of my new 1 3/4" loaded length loads, as well as make reduced recoil, cheap slug loads. A person could argue the need on the birdshot loads, but the process is fun.

View Quote
Thanks for sharing.  I like the idea of the pipe as a fixture!

I wonder how the slightly longer shell length (longer than Aguila) will do in an 870
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I haven't forgotten about this.I will be at the range on saturday. One thing I will be doing is testing these shells out.

I hope to have good info for you next week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I think you just cost me a bunch of money OP. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think you just cost me a bunch of money OP. Thanks!
View Quote
Glad to be of assistance:)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top