Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2017 11:43:01 AM EDT
I found a Remington 1100 at the local pawn shop yesterday.  It came with 21" smooth bore rifle sight barrel and scope mount/ red dot.  It was in good exterior condition but problems inside.   I got it out the door for $270 including a plastic hard case.  The piston/ piston seal were rusted stuck inside the barrel.  The barrel was tough to remove.  Well I used a barrel brush and oil and cleaned up the rust.  I added a new o ring too.  Picked up a +3 Remington mag tube extension this morning.  I will probably take scope mount off and get gas piston upgrade.  It's my first auto, I have several pumps.  Not sure if was a good deal but I am happy.  Here is obligatory pic.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good deal, I had one with the 21" slug barrel and it was a hammer.

I'd take that "sight" off and throw it back in the cast off drawer, strip the furniture and oil it, and bead blast/parkerize all of the metal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a great deal. A new piston and seal are cheap.  

The metal and wood look like they are in very good shape.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I took the 1100 to the range yesterday.  Only had two fail to ejects out of forty, both cheap low brass Winchester targets.  It was fun to crank shots out faster than my pumps.  I had a problem loading though.  I had added a Remington +3 extension before.   I check for dimples and there are none but still can't load more than four in the tube.   It has the original plastic follower in it which I will replace I think with a Scattergun one.   I cleaned the mag tube also.  Any other suggestions to be able to load seven?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took the 1100 to the range yesterday.  Only had two fail to ejects out of forty, both cheap low brass Winchester targets.  It was fun to crank shots out faster than my pumps.  I had a problem loading though.  I had added a Remington +3 extension before.   I check for dimples and there are none but still can't load more than four in the tube.   It has the original plastic follower in it which I will replace I think with a Scattergun one.   I cleaned the mag tube also.  Any other suggestions to be able to load seven?
View Quote
I'll assume you've had the follower completely out of the gun so you know that the follower can clear the end of the tube (no dents or dings to hang it up).

The extension tube is likely a 2 piece thing (coupling nut and tube). Disassembly those 2 parts. Screw the extension tube coupling nut on to the gun so it holds the forearm tightly in place. Now insert the follower and spring, then screw the extension tube into the coupling nut until it bottoms out against the gun's mag tube.

This assembly method should ensure there is no gap between the end of the gun's mag tube and the extension tube; a gap there can let the spring or follow hang up and limit capacity
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up up a $165 rusty 870 express magnum couple years ago.. after some action work, polishing out the dimples and a new finish of rattle can ceramic engine paint, it's a beast... I ruv pawn shops.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll assume you've had the follower completely out of the gun so you know that the follower can clear the end of the tube (no dents or dings to hang it up).

The extension tube is likely a 2 piece thing (coupling nut and tube). Disassembly those 2 parts. Screw the extension tube coupling nut on to the gun so it holds the forearm tightly in place. Now insert the follower and spring, then screw the extension tube into the coupling nut until it bottoms out against the gun's mag tube.

This assembly method should ensure there is no gap between the end of the gun's mag tube and the extension tube; a gap there can let the spring or follow hang up and limit capacity
View Quote
Yep our agency took off all the factory extensions because of the hang ups.  Five reliably is better than maybe eight.   These were factory police 870s that came with factory extensions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the follower out it looks original and worn.  Ordered the Scattergun follower this morning.  I stopped by the LGS this morning.  I found a 28" vent rib rem choke blued barrel on their orphan barrel rack for $70 otd.  Feel lucky on that, eBay barrels are a lot more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the follower out it looks original and worn.  Ordered the Scattergun follower this morning.  I stopped by the LGS this morning.  I found a 28" vent rib rem choke blued barrel on their orphan barrel rack for $70 otd.  Feel lucky on that, eBay barrels are a lot more expensive.
View Quote
Damn! I bought a 26" vent rib rem choke blued barrel from an individual for $80 and thought it was a steal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice deals OP. If it was me, I'd take the red dot and mount off, sell them(there's bound to be somebody who would want them) and turn the $270 shotgun into a $235 shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a similar setup. Bought a well hunted 1100 for $250 with a Mod choked vent rib barrel. Found a Rem Choke slug barrel (with a rifled choke) for $25 and ordered a Remington plus 4 extension then relaced the stock sights with Tru-glo steel sights and the choke with a Carlson's extended IC choke. Upgraded the piston ring and new O ring. Throws cheap slugs to POA like a pussy cat! And I have the benefit if having a beater bird gun too. It's not pretty but it's killed a shit ton of dove.

Check the extension for burrs in the tube and when you are screwing the tube into the nut with the spring inside give it a couple raps to free the spring from binding before it's seated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top