Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
First, I mean no offense in my posting. This is purely for educational purposes.

I only question the folding brace due to no clear cut regulation or stance from the ATF. I had the same concerns about all braces until Remington started selling the Tac 14 with a brace.

My main concern is that the firearm is less than 26" OAL when folded, and that it is still able to fire while folded. I completely understand what you are saying, but the ATF draws a very fine, and confusing line in the sand that I don't want to cross. I'd rather add a mag tube spike or something to make up the 26" OAL while folded just to be safe.

Again, thanks for everyones comments. I'm only here to learn, and this thread has taught me quite a lot!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, the barrel has since been chopped to 12.4" and a rail installed for a red dot. Also sports Hogue furniture now.

Problem with the Mesa Tactical adapter is that it creates a very high comb and you end up "looking over" the front sight.   It's not much of an issue if you install a rail/red dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the non angle on the adapter.  That straight looks much better
Yeah, the barrel has since been chopped to 12.4" and a rail installed for a red dot. Also sports Hogue furniture now.

Problem with the Mesa Tactical adapter is that it creates a very high comb and you end up "looking over" the front sight.   It's not much of an issue if you install a rail/red dot.
I agree 100% about the Mesa adapter. I ditched mine and went with an ergo. the ergo doesn't look as good and its plastic. However,the front bead is useable with the ergo and I don't beat the shit out of my cheek with every trigger pull....

For a red dot or probably even ghost ring sights the Mesa would work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, I've tried 3 foreends:

Magpul Moe
Speedfeed Corncob
Hogue Overmold

Of the three, I have to say the Hogue is the best feeling, smoothest action, and best looking.  Really think I'm going to stick with it.
View Quote
Should have come from Remington with the Hogue instead of the Magpul abortion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Totally agree!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The overmold finish on the Hogue gives it a big advantage. The rubber rail covers on my Magpul one will do for now. I'm working on an aluminum Mlok forend currently, but its still a month or two out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, I've tried 3 foreends:

Magpul Moe
Speedfeed Corncob
Hogue Overmold

Of the three, I have to say the Hogue is the best feeling, smoothest action, and best looking.  Really think I'm going to stick with it.
The overmold finish on the Hogue gives it a big advantage. The rubber rail covers on my Magpul one will do for now. I'm working on an aluminum Mlok forend currently, but its still a month or two out.
You will have to post pictures.  Aluminum furniture sounds badass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I really think a laser would make this most effective. Whats the best option?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Totally agree!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree!!
The fucking thing didnt even allow my conventional mag tube wrench deep enough to engage the nut. my wrench works on every other 870 foregrip on the planet.
I cut it off with wire cutters and threw it in the trash where it belongs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The fucking thing didnt even allow my conventional mag tube wrench deep enough to engage the nut. my wrench works on every other 870 foregrip on the planet.
View Quote
I didnt have any trouble removing the Magpul fore end. I wish Hogue made a rubber covered birdshead grip.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I didnt have any trouble removing the Magpul fore end. I wish Hogue made a rubber covered birdshead grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interestingly, Hogues pistol grip is only like a quarter inch shorter than the birdshead.  But i agree, i want a hogue birdshead.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Remington #81240 had it for a few weeks but just remembered to post. Added mod BCM grip, MCS Slide, Volquartsen Exact Edge, F16966 carrier spring.  Next will probably be S&J LH safety, cut barrel 12" or so
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel chopped to 12 15/32”  (could have gone to 12 7/16” if I didn’t use the Streamlight rail adapter).

Mesa Tactical picatinny rail and stock adapter

KAK buffer tube and brace

Hogue forend and grip

—————————————————————————

Edit to add: it shoots a 5” group at 10 yards using Federal low recoil 00 buck.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a Stream light TLR 2 light/laser combo. It was ok, too bulky on the handguard. I want to make a pic mount that fits like a barrel/mag tube clamp and mounts the light laser closer in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You will have to post pictures.  Aluminum furniture sounds badass.
View Quote
PM me next week and I'll send you pics privately. Got one in the 3d printer this weekend for concept/test fit before having extrusion made. Can't post pics public until release.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Did you buy or make the grip? I've got an old stock I need to chop up
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice vents....
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Love the wood!! Please give details.... I just bought a tac14... and love this classic look!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
@sq40 in the Shockwave threads we have been using a CMR-206 greenlaser from Crimson trace mounted upside down on top of the receiver. With the Mossberg it's great because as you slide your thumb forward to take it off safe you just keep pushing forward to activate the laser. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on the pump or barrel making it less likely to take incidental abuse. At $120 there are certainly more expensive/durable options but this has held up to slugs and buck just fine. I was able to get mine dialed in quickly by eyeballing the beam down the barrel over the front bead and then turning it on it's side I eyeballed down the barrel again and adjusted the laser to where the dot lined up with my view down the barrel about 50 feet away. With the laser I can make 25 yard hipshots with slugs quite accurately and probably further but I haven't tried. With shot shells it seems impossible to miss and ridiculously fun. Lasers on rifles and pistols can still miss due to trigger pull or hitting above or below the dot because of the range to target vs range it was set at. Shot shells make that a non-issue. Two drawbacks though, direct sunlight will make the dot invisible, some shade is needed or cloudiness. The second is that the exposed switches make it easy to get turned on accidentally during transport. There is a minor third I suppose and that is that it is a fairly uncommon battery, order some off the internet ahead of time becuase they won't likely be found locally. Between "training" because we never play with guns, and accidentally getting turned on extra batteries on hand are a wise decision.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@sq40 in the Shockwave threads we have been using a CMR-206 greenlaser from Crimson trace mounted upside down on top of the receiver. With the Mossberg it's great because as you slide your thumb forward to take it off safe you just keep pushing forward to activate the laser. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on the pump or barrel making it less likely to take incidental abuse. At $120 there are certainly more expensive/durable options but this has held up to slugs and buck just fine. I was able to get mine dialed in quickly by eyeballing the beam down the barrel over the front bead and then turning it on it's side I eyeballed down the barrel again and adjusted the laser to where the dot lined up with my view down the barrel about 50 feet away. With the laser I can make 25 yard hipshots with slugs quite accurately and probably further but I haven't tried. With shot shells it seems impossible to miss and ridiculously fun. Lasers on rifles and pistols can still miss due to trigger pull or hitting above or below the dot because of the range to target vs range it was set at. Shot shells make that a non-issue. Two drawbacks though, direct sunlight will make the dot invisible, some shade is needed or cloudiness. The second is that the exposed switches make it easy to get turned on accidentally during transport. There is a minor third I suppose and that is that it is a fairly uncommon battery, order some off the internet ahead of time becuase they won't likely be found locally. Between "training" because we never play with guns, and accidentally getting turned on extra batteries on hand are a wise decision.
View Quote
Thanks sixnine!

I have been looking at this unit for a little while, and a top of the receiver mount should look great and be very functional too?  Made specifically for Shotguns;

Amazon Product
  • Mossberg Shockwave Laser
  • Laser dots are like a shotgun pattern
  • Ring of dots grow at 1 inch per yard

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks sixnine!

I have been looking at this unit for a little while, and a top of the receiver mount should look great and be very functional too?  Made specifically for Shotguns;

www.amazon.com/dp/B0180OYGCA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@sq40 in the Shockwave threads we have been using a CMR-206 greenlaser from Crimson trace ....
Thanks sixnine!

I think the consensus on the Center of Mass laser was that it was too dim to see at normal light levels.  Inside the house I think it would rock; but then how do you train with it if you can't see the thing outside?

I went with the CT CRM-206 on mine.  It's visible even in sunlight out to short-barreled-shotgun distances.  Mine is mounted on the side of the gun- not optimal but I don't want it blocking my sight.  I don't intend to keep it there but use it to train muscle memory.  Get some time at the range point-shooting using the laser to ensure hits, develop the muscle memory so that I don't need to use the laser at all, and then no worries about the added step of getting it turned on.  I don't have a sidesaddle or any other accessories- the idea being to keep the benefits of the compact/lightweight gun.  The bonus is that once I'm happy with my point-shooting skill I still have a great laser I can put on my nightstand gun, or maybe an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered one last night when I got an email from PSA they were on clearance for $270 shipped. Can't wait to pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ordered one last night when I got an email from PSA they were on clearance for $270 shipped. Can't wait to pick it up.
View Quote
Ordered mine from psa friday... can't beat that price!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks sixnine!

View Quote
No problem! I have no experience with that one but I can tell you the 206 is bright as Hell and the gun feel like a big heavy laser pointer. The receiver mount I got was $6 I think because it rely didn't need to be fancy. It is awesome not having to hold the gun up and out from your face to get your hits, just swing it from the hip which also makes the recoil easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Untitled by loranger1, on Flickr

Untitled by loranger1, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm having trouble finding +1 extensions for the 20 gauge. Are there any available other than Saurez?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble finding +1 extensions for the 20 gauge. Are there any available other than Saurez?
View Quote
Nordic Conponents is the answer for everything shotgun extension related
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nordic Conponents is the answer for everything shotgun extension related
View Quote
Normally I'd agree with you about Nordic. Unfortunately the shortest 20ga extension they appear to make is a +4.  I'm trying to find a +1.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went the Saurez route because it was the only option when I bought my 20ga, they were brand new at the time and the +1 extension was a presale - still had to wait a couple of weeks to get.  But it did show up and the quality was good (the sling plate didn't fit and required some grinding to clear the barrel - wasn't a big deal for me to fit it and I ended up not using it anyways).  Admittedly I didn't know of all the issues others have had with him when I ordered, it was a simply the only one "available" so I got one.  Had Nordic made one, I would have bought theirs.  Thankfully I'll have more options for the new 12ga I picked up from PSA last week, just couldn't pass up $270 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd (reluctantly) order from Saurez for this, but it's out of stock. I'm just itching to get an extension so I can finally do my Duracoating and finish my build.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd (reluctantly) order from Saurez for this, but it's out of stock. I'm just itching to get an extension so I can finally do my Duracoating and finish my build.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Those Nordic tubes can be cut down and rethreaded.  I've done a few for me and customers at the shop.  Get the Nordic set and get it shortened.  Easy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Dont send a fucking dime to Suarez.
Look back 2 pages and youll see why.

$300 and waited 6 weeks for an "in stock" barrel that looks like a 12yr old put together.

I wouldnt piss on that fucking crook if he was on fire.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally got around to posting a pick of mine.

Its impressively loud at my indoor range  The range only allows slugs, which 2 3/4 federal truballs are actually are not to bad with the SBM4 brace.  the 3" slugs I got clearanced were a little harsh, but fun!  I need to get outdoors with it and use up my cheap walmart Suprema buckshot!

The gun was modded with a Mesa Tactical High stock/PG Mount, SBM4 brace and Law Tactical hinge.  Cheap red dot I got clearanced actually holding up to the 12 ga well to date and holding zero.

" />
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dont send a fucking dime to Suarez.
Look back 2 pages and youll see why.

$300 and waited 6 weeks for an "in stock" barrel that looks like a 12yr old put together.

I wouldnt piss on that fucking crook if he was on fire.
View Quote
Don’t get me wrong, I understand you are pissed... and if I was in a similar position, I’d be too. My vent rib barrel had a misaligned extractor cut, which was the host barrel issue (Chinese made, but surprised they didn’t test fire it). Contacted them, sent it back, and got a replacement. They were going to try to inlet it, but couldn’t due to the angle. Offered a ported version, which I declined (I run a light up there, and didn’t want it to get dirty; plus, I had ports on my trap gun... cleaning is a bitch). Got the barrel I ordered, off of a new one, and works. Barrel looks good, and will look even better when refinished in NP3 Plus.

When I looked for a rifle sight barrel, I got a Remington one instead of S/I... due to your post. Headache I didn’t want to deal with. Only issue with the Remington is that it uses compact rifle sights, so likely no RMR cowitnessing. But it is high enough above the bead that you get a more comfortable cheek weld when shouldering the S/I brace (which I am very happy with). My original route was going to be picking up a second TAC-14, put the rifle sight barrel/RMR on that, then have a brace to go between them. Now, I’m sticking with the one, and having two barrels and either the regular birdshead grip (actually S/I stippled one, which I bought with their Uke bag; guess they smoke there, as I had to air out the bag... but again, no issue) or folding brace.

In short, sorry you feel that way. As a person, Suarez does rub me the wrong way. I’ve read a handful of his stuff, which I disagree with his approach. I’m a pussy because I know I’m responsible for every pellet I fire downrange? Ok, I can live with that. That being said, he is doing things with the TAC-14 that you don’t see most other people doing... even though I feel he (and S/I) are poking the ATF to the point that they might reevaluate the shouldering a brace issue due to it.

If someone is looking to buy a 20 Gauge extension, and nobody offers one except him, it is sort of childish to say not to buy his. I still say you should have complained, even filed a complaint with your credit card company for the crappy work. It took me about twenty minutes between unpacking the barrel to sending them a message on it... and that was more to diagnose and take comparison pictures.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I finished my Tac-14 12 gauge, with a few pretty simple mods:
Mesa Tactical 4-shot carrier
Wilson Combat +1 extension
GG&G aluminum follower
(I used the XS Sights swage to hammer out the magazine tube dimples to allow the additional round)
Vang Comp big speed safety
Volquartsen exact edge machined extractor
Traction Grips on Magpul foreend and on Raptor grip
Taccom nylon foreend strap

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered one of these...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#42]
@osprey21 what case is that? I just got a Tac-14 this morning and would love an easy way to move it around.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally took it out.

I can’t believe how much I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Just picked this up last week.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Shifted the BCM grip back and on the left side.  It makes a great hand stop for web of your hand.  Still deciding on a brace option.  The DM fits in the Hornady RFID safe without modification and, in my opinion, does a better job of keeping the weapon safe than the shotgun version as the trigger is not accessible in the safe.  Secured by 3 lag bolts to the stud.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Shifted the BCM grip back and on the left side.  It makes a great hand stop for web of your hand.  Still deciding on a brace option.  The DM fits in the Hornady RFID safe without modification and, in my opinion, does a better job of keeping the weapon safe than the shotgun version as the trigger is not accessible in the safe.  Secured by 3 lag bolts to the stud.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142434/tac14_1-652277.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142434/tac14_2-652276.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

eBay item number: 401567390836
View Quote
ordered! thanks for that, my as well spend money on a gun I can't figure out why I own.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ordered! thanks for that, my as well spend money on a gun I can't figure out why I own.
View Quote
I bought mine to use as a money dump.
Going to have a wood worker friend make the pistol grip and shorten the forend from a Rem. laminate stock set.
Maybe have the barrel choked and ported.
Not keeping receipts on this one.
Pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142434/tac14_1-652277.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142434/tac14_2-652276.JPG
View Quote
Dude that’s awesome.  I would have to laugh maniacally every time I dumped a mag.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top