Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 4:16:39 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a shotgun for self defense, 3 gun matches and deer hunting. The primary focus will be on self defense, and then for 3 gun. I will be shooting rifled slugs for deer hunting so as long as I can attach a reddot sight to the receiver or the shotgun is fitted with iron sights I'm not worried.

After much thought, I think I want to stick with a pump. I have been considering a Benelli M2 or M4 if I was to got semi-auto, however these are expensive and I have heard that sometimes they have issues cycling super light loads (I have had this same issue on various field style semi-auto's as well). The pump gives me versatility to shoot any sort of 12 gauge load I would like, at the cost of slower followup shots (for the average shooter).

I like everything about the 870, except for the ejector. Just can't get over having the ejector riveted to the receiver. I like to have all of my firearms user serviceable, so this is just a personal beef I guess.

Anyway, so I am considering the Mossy 18.5" 590A1 as a shotgun to fill the roles I described above. To make it easier to transport and pack, I was thinking about getting a folding stock for it and the Butler Creek model seems to be a popular choice.

My concerns with this setup are:

1) The durability/comfort of the folding stock

2) The ability to access the safety when pistol grip is installed without removing hand from pistol grip

What does the hive think on this?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The butler creek folder is very durable.  It is not great to shoot but that can be dealt with for the convenience of storage the stock gives and conversion to a more compact weapon if needed.  It would not be a stock I would put on a competition gun or hunting gun.  Seems like you want to much here.

The Mossberg safety is going to be an issue with any pistol grip stock, nothing different with this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top