Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 8:12:37 AM EDT
I have been looking at these for a while and intend to buy one over the weekend but had a few questions first. Whats the total capacity of these guns? They appear to be 7 shots, but I have seen them advertised as 5 shots. How is reliability/durability? This will be my "truck gun" for coon hunting and such, but I may need it to defend myself. The action feels very tight at first, but does this "loosen up" with use? I have also heard the hammer can bite the web of your hand, how often does this actually happen? Has anyone tried mini-shells in thier 1897's? Are there any recurring problems with these guns or anything I need to be aware of before buying? As I mentioned, this gun will constantly be in my truck being knocked around, abused and slam-fired. Do you think it will stand up to this abuse? Can you think of anything else I need to know before buying?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Norchester I use for CAS and it's been slicked up by Coyote Cap.  It's a fast cowboy gun but after 50rds you have to clean it or it starts to fail to eject. If you don't get it slicked up it will loosen up but it takes too much time unless you use toothpaste in it and start shooting all the bad guys in a movie for the next two hours :)

If it weren't for Cowboy Action Shooting, I wouldn't use one, I'll stick to my 870 if I need a gun that won't fail me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top