Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for a reasonable 20ga (only!) O&U for under $1000, NIB. I've looked at the new Mossburgs & the Turkish guns don't impress me much. I've seen pics of the new Marlin/LC Smith guns & they appear to look good & they're eye-talian made, which is good, IMO.

While I wouldn't be against buying a Red Label or another Beretta, but these are now all over $1000, it seems.

I have cruised thru the CDNN catalog & a couple of others, nothing really jumps out at me.

Anyone have some suggestions for a decent 20ga?????
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:25:34 PM EDT
You might want to just shop around. I've seen new Ruger Red Labels go for around $800 or so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:40:24 AM EDT
If you intend to shoot the gun alot I'd stay away from the LC's and Rugers, the felt recoil is pretty sharp compared to a Browning Citori or even a Beretta. If you look around a Browning can be had for around a grand. The action of the Browning is pretty much a bank vault, very strong and will last tens of thousands of rounds before a rebuild. Most have screw in chokes but some older guns are fixed. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jshooter:
If you intend to shoot the gun alot I'd stay away from the LC's and Rugers, the felt recoil is pretty sharp compared to a Browning Citori or even a Beretta.

Well, a 20ga is why I'm looking to drop the felt recoil. No, I won't shoot it a lot, maybe 3-4 times a year, max.

Looks like I'll keep shopping..........................

Thanks for the replies, BTW.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:34:20 PM EDT
Bob, 20ga is definitely lighter shooting than a 12 but smaller frame sub gauges weigh sometimes a lot less than a 12ga frame and felt recoil may be the same (or nearly so). I shoot sporting clays twice a week and I shoot mostly Beretta M390's both in 12 and 20. I can hardly feel a difference in recoil between the two guns. Again, my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jshooter:
Bob, 20ga is definitely lighter shooting than a 12 but smaller frame sub gauges weigh sometimes a lot less than a 12ga frame and felt recoil may be the same (or nearly so).

While not disagreeing with your logic, I think the starting factor of lighter recoil in the 20 may outweigh the lighter 20's weight. I may not be explaining it correctly, but I'm hoping for less beating.

I shopped Bass Pro today, the cheapest they had was a Red Label at a mere $1200!

Looks like a used 20 may be my best bet????????
Top Top