Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
Greetings and thanks for looking/helping me out.

I have a LEO-trade-in Remington Wingmaster 870 that I got last year that is in need of major TLC.  I would like to put a new barrel on it, but am wondering which one I should get.  The current barrel is stamped for only 2 3/4" shells.  Is there anyway I could upgrade it to accept larger shells as well?

Does anyone know a gunsmith that could install a MMC ghost ring sight on it?

Your help is appreciated.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The only difference between a 2 3/4" gun and a 3" Magnum gun is:
The barrel.
The ejector.

To shoot 3" shells, all you have to do is put a 3" chambered barrel on it, and have a gunsmith with the special riveting tools needed for the job, to install a longer 3" Magnum ejector assembly in the receiver.

I don't know about your local gunsmithing situation, so I can't recommend anyone.
The problem with installing a ghost ring sight set is the FRONT sight.

Remington brazes the bead's base on the more recent guns, and you have to cut the base off.
Once the base is off, you have to braze a new sight on.
This requires refinishing the barrel, and re-polishing the bore.

One option, is to send the gun to Wilson's.  
They have a "Remington Steal Deal" where they completely refurbish your gun, convert it to 3", install synthetic stocks, and parkerize it.
I would assume they would also install their ghost ring sights at the same time.

Another option is to buy a new Remington barrel with the front ghost sight already installed.
Remington's Law Enforcement site lists a new 18" barrel with a factory ghost front sight at $143.00 list price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only difference between a 2 3/4" gun and a 3" Magnum gun is:
The barrel.
The ejector.

To shoot 3" shells, all you have to do is put a 3" chambered barrel on it, and have a gunsmith with the special riveting tools needed for the job, to install a longer 3" Magnum ejector assembly in the receiver.

I don't know about your local gunsmithing situation, so I can't recommend anyone.
The problem with installing a ghost ring sight set is the FRONT sight.

Remington brazes the bead's base on the more recent guns, and you have to cut the base off.
Once the base is off, you have to braze a new sight on.
This requires refinishing the barrel, and re-polishing the bore.

One option, is to send the gun to Wilson's.  
They have a "Remington Steal Deal" where they completely refurbish your gun, convert it to 3", install synthetic stocks, and parkerize it.
I would assume they would also install their ghost ring sights at the same time.

Another option is to buy a new Remington barrel with the front ghost sight already installed.
Remington's Law Enforcement site lists a new 18" barrel with a factory ghost front sight at $143.00 list price.

Thank you for that information.  Any idea how much the Wilson's "Steal Deal" is?

Bigfeet

Edited to add: I found it.

www.wilsoncombat.com/s_remingtion_steal.asp

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top