Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT
I'm souping up an 870 Wingmaster.  I'd like to add an 18.5" barrel and go with one of those extensions for the magazine.  Seems there are several options (tacstar, choate, remington, ATI).  Are there some that are better than others.  The polymer one (ATI) looks interesting.  Anyone use it?  

Thanks,

Jake
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my opinion on "rating" mag tube extensions-
1) Factory Remington
2) Choate
3) Tac Star
4) ATI

I dont have experience with the polymer ones. I have 2 Fac remingtons and a Choate. I don't know if Remington makes a blued one for your Wingmaster though (even if that is a big deal to you). If you want everything to match, go with a Choate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I recommend factory only. I've used the Choate and had feeding problems with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm souping up an 870 Wingmaster.  I'd like to add an 18.5" barrel and go with one of those extensions for the magazine.  Seems there are several options (tacstar, choate, remington, ATI).  Are there some that are better than others.  The polymer one (ATI) looks interesting.  Anyone use it?  

Thanks,

Jake

Yes, I have tried a couple ATI mag extensions.  I would advise heavily against them.  When you clamp them, it bends or crushes the tube.  

I really like ATI's stocks and I like ATI's people, but I don't care for their other products.

There is another thread on mag extensions ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=194354&page=1 .  If you wade through the nonsense, there's a few good tidbits there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
For price/quality, the best is Choate.
The Choate comes as a complete kit with the extension in either parkerized or a satin black sulfate finish, a longer spring, a heavy-duty magazine follower, the all-important barrel clamp, and a sling swivel.
Choate has been making extensions for almost as long as Remington, and has a LONG history of quality products that have stood up in actual use.
Over the years, I only saw one Choate with a problem, and the company replaced it ASAP with apologies.

ATI is plastic molded over a steel connector collar.  These have some history of bad manufacturing jobs that allow the tube to separate from the collar.  Plus, as above the tube can be crushed by most clamps.
I don't recommend it.

Tac-Star is available n blue/black or parkerized, but doesn't come with a better follower or clamp.
Tac-Star has some history with out-of-line tubes, and out-of-round mounting collars.
They're serviceable, but I didn't care for them.

Remington is the best made, but is expensive and more difficult to get.  Remington only sells these through Law Enforcement distributors, and they usually only sell to FFL dealers.
If you can afford the price, and can get one these are the best.

The others are:
Wilson/Scattergun is good, very expensive and doesn't come with a clamp.  Some people like or don't like the sling swivel system.

Hans Vang is good, expensive, and doesn't come with a clamp.  Same deal with the sling swivel.

Tank's Rifle Shop is great, a close copy of the Remington Factory and comes with a Uncle Mike's copy of the Remington barrel clamp.  If you can't get a Remington factory this is as good.

If you want to buy a better clamp for an extension, the Uncle Mike's is a very close copy of the Remington factory model, and it's the best clamp made.
www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004490&catky=1465723&subcatky1=4548843&subcatky2=2000180
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Theres one on eBay right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top