Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 8:40:42 AM EDT by High_Plains_Drifter]
I have a friend who just bought a Mossberg shotgun. I am guessing it is a 500 field (all he knows is that he got it at Big 5 and it came with a long and a short barrel). Anyway, it has a plug in the mag tube only allowing two rounds to be inserted. I shoot an 870 and a guy I know who has a 590 said that his comes apart differently (both Mossbergs are new production, purchased within the last year), so we are stumped as to how to unblock the mag tube. My only guess would be to unscrew it from the receiver since it looks to be threaded on there and taking it out that way, but it is not mine and I am not going to attempt this without a confirmation that it would work. Any Ideas?

edited to change "500persueder" to "590"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:13:51 PM EDT
Yes is does screw into the reciever. It is glued into the reciever with locktite. I will take some force to get it off. Just be sure not to bened the tube. I put the reciever into a paded vice with the tube pointed strait up and get a good grip and unscrew it (counter clockwise).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:23:05 PM EDT
Just remove the barrel, point the mag tube to the ground and shake. The plug will fall out of the end, it only a wooden dowel rod with 2 o-rings to hold it inside the mag tube. There should be no reason to remove the mag tube.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:01:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BradleyW:
Just remove the barrel, point the mag tube to the ground and shake. The plug will fall out of the end, it only a wooden dowel rod with 2 o-rings to hold it inside the mag tube. There should be no reason to remove the mag tube.

+1

I called Mossberg and they said to remove the barrel and the dowel is under it as you have stated.

I can fit 4+1 that is for competition from what I have read, I just want it FULL 8+1 !

I have not got around to checking mine out yet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:20 AM EDT
Oops - see edit above

Mossberg500man - That is what I was thinking. thanks for the confirmation. Have you tried it yourself? I was considering securing it in a vise and using a strap wrench (carefully) on it right up next to the receiver.

BradleyW and John11167 - The barrel retainer screws into a cap that is permanently attached to the end of the mag tube. There is only a tiny hole in the cap and I can't see a way to get a dowel rod out of that small hole unless it was slightly smaller than a pencil and loose inside the mag tube. The method you suggest worked on my other friend's Mossberg though (and apparently everyone else's!). That is why he was stumped when he saw this one.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:03:27 AM EDT
The 590 has a completly different set up than the 500. The dowel rod is small enough to fit through the hole. Just try it before you go through the trouble of removing the mag tube.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:10:24 AM EDT
Yeah, we noticed that they are different.

I will give it a try. We tried pointing it toward the ground and shaking it on that first attempt and nothing happened. I will try to get ahold of his shotgun and try again. I really don't want to make it harder than it has to be. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:11:43 PM EDT
I asked this same question on this forum about 2 months ago. It's simple!

Shake and pull out through the little hole in the front of the mag tub- that's it!

My 500 is a standard field gun, too made in the late 80s.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
Read the fucking manual! it says to shake it out the small hole. Just read the manual! Please!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:26:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Real_estate_salesman:
Read the fucking manual! it says to shake it out the small hole. Just read the manual! Please!

When all else fails, grab the torch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:14:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Milldude:
When all else fails, grab the torch.

I was thinking about a nice pair of 12" Vise-grips myself.

Seriously, if you want to remove the mag tube, for whatever reason, go to Harbor Frieght and buy a rubber strap-wrench or like $5. Place the buttstock between your feet/shoes and twist hard on the strap wrench (around the mag tube) in a lefty-loosey manner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:42:07 AM EDT
Real_estate_salesman and Milldude- I would have read the manual IF:
1 - the shotgun was mine, that I purchased NIB with a manual.
2 - The assclown who actually owns the shotgun didn't lose the manual immediately upon purchase.
As stated above, I know nothing about Mossbergs (and nobody that I know who owns one knew how to correct the "problem") - I shoot Remingtons and was trying to help a friend out (who has no owner's manual). He actually saw me out shooting, came over, and said "check out my new shotgun...hey...why does it only hold two shells in the mag tube?" I hope this adequately passes the litmus test that determines if I am worthy of help on this subject.

steveinct - I told my friend to try that again, but he can't figure it out. I'll try it next time I see him out shooting.

eric10mm - a strap wrench was what I was planning to use if we can't fix it otherwise- I'll check out Harbor Freight if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:08:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 9:09:08 AM EDT by Mossberg500man]
I am sorry that it took so long for my reply. I am a gunsmith I do this stuff for a living, and i love what I do. The reason I say take off the magtube is so it will make for easy cleaning in the future, and get all the gunk and locktite out of the reciver. I always manage to bust the magtube loose with my bare hands with the reciever in a padded vice. If you have any question feel free to ask me I am a certified Mossberg Armorer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:45:22 AM EDT
Mossberg500man - that is definately sound advice. Cleaning the mag tube is something that most people don't think about (I clean my Remington's regularly). Thank you for the reply.
Top Top