Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a TacStar sidesaddle for my Rem. 870. How difficult are they to install? Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to get a gunsmith to do it?

Thanks

Nic
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:00:26 PM EDT
Side saddles are very easy to install on 870's. If you can field strip your shotgun, you can install a saddle. Have you checked out the mesa tactical side saddle? I sprung for it even though it is more expensive. You really get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:09:18 AM EDT
+1 on the Mesa Tactical side saddle. It is head and shoulders above the Tac-Star product.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:38 AM EDT
Got a link to the Mesa Tactical saddle?

Nic
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 7:23:44 AM EDT by CAR-AR-M16]
Link to Mesa Tactical Rem 870 Shell Holders. I have two of these and like them much better than the TacStar. They are 3x the price of the TacStar, but I think they are worth it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:29:17 PM EDT
If you're serious about your shotgun, and want to spend your money on a dependable product, well worth it's price, buy the Mesa Tactical.

If your shotgun is just for playing "Range Commando", buy the TacStar.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:39 PM EDT
Hey, don't "Range Commando"s need the best?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:46:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
if you do get the TacStar...loctite the damn screws..!!!!
i was shooting a friends 870 and the rear screws that hold the two pieces together came loose, a live round ejected under the recoil and slammed into my head, right above my left eye, it hit hard enough for the brass to cut my forehead..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:24:56 PM EDT
There's nothing wrong w/ the Tac-star side saddles. I have them on both of my 870s & my 11-87 & they work great. I do agree w/ the loctite on the screws.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:35:41 PM EDT
will the tac star intefere with the front handguard when I pull it back. Mine does not have the small handguard and i think it will hit the saddle if i get one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kimber_45:
will the tac star intefere with the front handguard when I pull it back. Mine does not have the small handguard and i think it will hit the saddle if i get one.

you'll probably have to get the 4 shot instead of the 6 shot model
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
Don't let folks blow smoke up your backside. Hundreds upon hundreds of LE and military groups as well as many, many more civilians have used the Tac-Star side saddles for years without problems. I personally wouldn't own a "social" shotgun without one.

That said, one would be wise to use blue (removeable) Loctite on ANY screws that you don't want to come loose at an inopportune moment.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
DEFINITELY get the one from Mesa!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smokytbear:

Originally Posted By Kimber_45:

you'll probably have to get the 4 shot instead of the 6 shot model

if you get the 6 shot, you will either have to notch the left side of the handguard for it to fit, or replace with a Wilson or something similar short handguard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
I think I decided on the Mesa 6-shot. I know the stock Remington forend overlaps on the reciever, which, if you have a sidsaddle installed, will keep it from moving back far enough. But does the Surefire forend overlap on the receiver?

Thanks,

Nic
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:28:49 PM EDT
With the Mesa Tactical 6-round shell holder, you'll need to shave off about 1/2 inch of the rear of the SureFire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:54:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OEF_VET:
With the Mesa Tactical 6-round shell holder, you'll need to shave off about 1/2 inch of the rear of the SureFire.

Incorrect. With the Mesa 8 rounder you will have to shave about 1/4" off. The 6 rounder will work as is. I cut my Surefire forend with a fine tooth wood blade on a miter saw as recommended by the folks at Mesa with excellent results.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:52:29 PM EDT
tacman,

You're absolutely correct. I don't know how I screwed that one up. I have both a SF618FA and a M/T 6-round holder on my 870P. I was thinking about the 8 round holder, but typed 6-round. I'm blaming it on a long week of work and mid-terms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT
So then it is correct that a Surefire forend will work with the Mesa Tactical 6 shell holder without modification? Just want to be sure.

Nic
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:53:20 AM EDT
Nic,

Here's a pic of my 870P with Surefire foreend and 6-round holder. You can't see the shell holder too well, but it's there. I didn't have to modify my foreend. (I'm blaming my previous post on a week and a half of 8-hour work days, 4 hours of sleep a night, three mid-terms and a four page English paper.)

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By marc1979:
if you do get the TacStar...loctite the damn screws..!!!!
i was shooting a friends 870 and the rear screws that hold the two pieces together came loose, a live round ejected under the recoil and slammed into my head, right above my left eye, it hit hard enough for the brass to cut my forehead..

+1

I had a screw back out during a match and I forced the slide back breaking my extractor pin. Lock tite is good stuff.
Top Top