Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 2:30:30 AM EDT
Last weekend I finally got a chance to shoot some low recoil ammo I've managed to collect. Gun is a Mossberg Maverick 88 with an 18.5" cyl. choke barrel and composite furniture.

First was Winchester Ranger 00 Buck. I've haven't shot a lot of buckshot, only a few rounds, but those few recoiled a pretty good bit. The Ranger low recoil shells were better. Less recoil and pretty much no muzzle rise. Back on target with another round chambered near instantly.

After that I practiced switching ammo by pulling a slug off the stock, loading it into the mag, and cycling the action. I need to work on that a bit . The slugs in question are Remington Slugger Managed Recoil. 1 oz. slugs @ 1200 FPS. Before I found this stuff I was shooting Winchester Super-X slugs and after 15 rounds I was hurting. And continued to hurt 3 days later. Muzzle rise was measured in yards and, with such a light weapon, it kicked like an enraged mule. No good for followup shots. The Remmy slugs, however, felt like an AK. Like the Ranger buck, no measurable muzzle rise and much less recoil. Back on target in a heartbeat. Best part is that these slugs are just as accurate as the Super-X and at 20 yards they turn a beer can into confetti

One very good indication that the recoil is under control was the elastic shell holder I have on the buttstock. Before it would slide forward on the first shot and get in the way constantly. It didn't even twitch this time

So now I have an opinion and have no reservation on recommending this stuff to everyone. I paid about $12/box of 25 for the Ranger and $2.50/5 for the slugs. And on a related note, I can recommend the Maverick 88 to anyone looking for a 12 gauge. It's extremely light, much more accurate than I expected, dead simple to strip, and dirt cheap at under $150.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top