Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:58 PM EDT
I have been toying with the idead of buying a 20 gauge again....but this time a semi auto for bird hunting and trap and I was wondering what kind of 20s you guys like.

My Dad just bought a used, but in really nice shape Beretta 303 upland 20 with a english stock and has made some really nice shots with it bird hunting.

I am thinking about a Benelli M1 20.  Would be nice to find a Benelli M1 20 gauge 4 shot tube for it too. But I hear those are hard to find now.

So lets hear from the 20 fans. What is your favorite 20 gauge and what hunting load do you use.

Thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot sporting clays, upland birds, even jump shoot ducks with either my Model 12 Winchester or my Beretta 390 both in 20 ga. I love shooting a main event clays tournament with a fixed choke 20 ga pump. It really messes with some folks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Winchester Ranger Compact 20gauge that I adore.  Works well on squirrel out to 75 yards using Remington Game Loads, 7/8oz #7 1/2 or #6 shot.

I've also got 4 NEF single shots (actually 6), 28" full choke 12ga, 28" modified choke 12ga, 26" full choke 20ga, and a 26" modified choke 20ga.  The 12ga mod and 20ga full are new to me and I haven't concluded my testing yet.  The 12ga full and 20ga mod have been shot alot, and have taken quite a few critters.  The 20ga gun has taken squirrel at 75 yards with Remington Game loads with 7/8oz of #7 1/2 and #6.  It has also taken several feral cats and english sparrows.  

The reason I mention the 12ga guns is because I use them with gauge reducers and 20ga shells with great success.  The 12ga w/full choke has been my favorite with the above mentioned shells and more so with the Remington Heavy Game or Heavy Dove loads that have a full ounce of #7 1/2 shot.  Just for fun, I pattern tested that gun against itself with 12ga and 20ga shells with a 1oz payload of the same size shot.  The pattern was the same, which I guess isn't a huge surprise, but of course, I'll take the recoil of a 20ga any day over that of a 12ga if the choice is given.

The 20gauge Heavy Game loads have proven themselves with the 12ga gun.  I've been dealing with a major feral cat problem for 6 months.  That gun/ammo combination using #7 1/2 birdshot has dropped 15lb tomcats at 25yards through very heavy brush.

There is no doubt that the 20gauge will get the job done.  As far as make/model, have you looked into the Remington 1100's?  Last year there was a Walmart special-type gun that I wanted to get but didn't.  It was a 20-22" barreled youth model, vent rib barrel, screw-in chokes I think, and took 2 3/4" or 3" shells.  This year that model was replaced with an 11-87 youth turkey gun.  Too bad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an old Savage pump that works fine.

Practice your stealth, these little guys will look at the brush and wonder "Wasn't that further away a minute ago?" get with in 50 ft and fire away.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a ground hog or prairie dog?  I've seen a few critters toes up, but I usually saw them upright first
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is that a ground hog or prairie dog?  I've seen a few critters toes up, but I usually saw them upright first

PD ,         SW   MT.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top