Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 11:16:34 AM EDT
I have a remington 870 with a choat +2 mag extention. i am useing the barrel clamp that came with the extention, but still useing the factory follower. the reason is that the follower from choat dose not want to work with the dent in the tube, even though the dent has been pressed out. the factory follower works (in any rotation). the problem i am haveing is that the spring gets cought in the extention when fully loaded. i was going to take the extention off to fix the problem and when i releases the clamp the spring shot forward in the mag tube. I guess i just had it to tight. but im afriad that i will end up keeping it to loose and it will fall off. i really do not like that clamp anyway. what clamp should i replace it with and will that fix the problem (ill replace that clamp anyway). if it dose not fix the problem then is there anything i can do other then be carfull not to put it on to tight when i tighin it. thanks for the help.

sorry this post is sloppy, i wanted to get it posted before i went to work. thanks again
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If I read you right, there's a dent in your extension tube??

First, you need to do a better job or removing the dent, or buy a new extension.

Second, don't screw the clamp screw down so tight.
I know, the Choate clamp tends to move under recoil, so you have to tighten it down, but not so tight the extension tube collapses.

Third, chuck the Choate magazine follower in a drill and use some sand paper wrapped around a file to sand down the diameter just a LITTLE bit.  NOT TOO MUCH.
Some Choate followers are just a bit too big for some tubes.

The best clamp for you will be the Uncle Mike's version of the Remington factory clamp.
This one doesn't need to be screwed down so tight:
You can help things stay stuck, by putting small pieces of black electrician's tape on the extension part of the clamp.
This give the clamp more friction and it stays put.

www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004490&catky=1465723&subcatky1=4548843&subcatky2=2000180
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that you can contact Choate directly and inquire of your problem.  They are very nice and helpful people.  They also stand behind their product for life.  Any problems, they will get you a refund or a replacement product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top