Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:34:42 PM EDT
Beretta 1201FP for 3-gun use????
i've heard that you canot top off the tube until the gun is empty?
does any one know if this is true?
or any other reasons this would be a bad idea for 3-gun use???
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a 3-gun Forum you could get a definitive answer from?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i am sure there is but i don't know any off hand
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a great gun for 3-gun if you want to be competitive.  Biggest problem is mag capacity.  No one makes an extension for it, so you'll be reloading twice as often as everyone else.  You won't win like that. That's also true for most other accessories like speed loader brackets, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
although i don't know about that particular weapon,, check your clubs rules on  weapon types and restrictions ,   most allow both semi  or pump shotguns  but there may be a  round count  or capacity  rule  to even out  the compation,   also thermay be a saftey issue  on how and  when  you can reload during the  stage  or couse of fire  ie   load only when  at the start  line  or the stage starts with  a full mag but the chamber is empty.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I really enjoy the Beretta 1201FP. It hold 7 rounds vs 8 like a Benelli or Remington.
But, IMO it is fast and light and easy to reload.

I do not shoot very much 3-gun matches....but I have shot hundreds or birds with a 1201FP.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
i guess my main concern was if you could load the tube on the go/run to the next set of targets if ya could that'd be great if not might be better off with a 11-87p for 3-gun unless theres a way to defeat the trap door mech.???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Both the 1201 and 1187 police will work for 3-gun, but neither will be optimal. Round capacity is 8 + 1 in limited and Heman class and 10 +1 for Open class. Anything under that, you'll have fun but not be competetive. Many will tell you that fast shotgunning is all about the reload.  The 1201 kicks hard, probably harder than the benelli since its slightly lighter. To make it worse, sometimes you need heavier (stronger = more recoil) shells to work the action. In a game that plays with light birdshot loads, you'll be at a disadvantage again.  The 1187 Police is also designed to be used with heavy defensive loads and may or may not cycle reliably with 7 1/2 birdshot. There is a workaround using a barrel seal activator for the SuperMag but I've never tried it.

For starting out, I would recommend an 1100 or 1187 sportsman if semiauto is your thing. Look for a turkey gun with a 20"-21" barrel change the choke to IC or Mod and your set. Get a choate extension to bring it up to 8+1, it will be close to the length of the 21" barrel. You'll also need an EZ-Loader to help load shells and work the action. Probably the most common setup in 3-gun.

Many shooters are moving from the Remmy platform to the Benelli because of the reliability. If you can tame the recoil the Benelli would be a good option. Others are using Winchester SX2 practicals, suppose to have a faster action than either Benelli or Remmington.  Winchester is discontinuing the mark 1 although they are keep the mark 2. FN (who owns Winchester) will be selling the SLP MK1 under the FN name in April. This is my next purchase.

I shoot an HK Fabarm Pump in Heman  and typically can outshoot semiautos with limited capacity (down just 1 round)....but if they have the same capacity I have to fight to keep up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Both the 1201 and 1187 police will work for 3-gun, but neither will be optimal. Round capacity is 8 + 1 in limited and Heman class and 10 +1 for Open class. Anything under that, you'll have fun but not be competetive. Many will tell you that fast shotgunning is all about the reload.  The 1201 kicks hard, probably harder than the benelli since its slightly lighter. To make it worse, sometimes you need heavier (stronger = more recoil) shells to work the action. In a game that plays with light birdshot loads, you'll be at a disadvantage again.  The 1187 Police is also designed to be used with heavy defensive loads and may or may not cycle reliably with 7 1/2 birdshot. There is a workaround using a barrel seal activator for the SuperMag but I've never tried it.

For starting out, I would recommend an 1100 or 1187 sportsman if semiauto is your thing. Look for a turkey gun with a 20"-21" barrel change the choke to IC or Mod and your set. Get a choate extension to bring it up to 8+1, it will be close to the length of the 21" barrel. You'll also need an EZ-Loader to help load shells and work the action. Probably the most common setup in 3-gun.

Many shooters are moving from the Remmy platform to the Benelli because of the reliability. If you can tame the recoil the Benelli would be a good option. Others are using Winchester SX2 practicals, suppose to have a faster action than either Benelli or Remmington.  Winchester is discontinuing the mark 1 although they are keep the mark 2. FN (who owns Winchester) will be selling the SLP MK1 under the FN name in April. This is my next purchase.

I shoot an HK Fabarm Pump in Heman  and typically can outshoot semiautos with limited capacity (down just 1 round)....but if they have the same capacity I have to fight to keep up.

thx,
do you find that it is a common need to port the gas system on the 1187 to get it to run light recoil  birdshot and buck??
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
It depends. I've known guys who have ruined barrels with a bad port job. I would probably break it in first, then try the barrel seal activator or an extra "O" ring before resorting to porting. Alot of people shooting 1187s have problems with cheapo Walmart Winchester shells. Most have found the green remington 1 1/8 oz shotshells to be more reliable. (this is on a stock gun). Because its gas operated you can use heavier loads for reliablility and still have light recoil. My friends 1187 was working great for several matches then in the last match he was having alot of trouble. He thinks cleaning the gas system actually made it LESS reliable. He said a good amount of carbon built up around the gas ports and probably was helping in the functioning department. The 1187 is different from the 1100 in that it can use 3" shells. Some believe the 1100 which was designed for 2 3/4 shells to be more reliable with light loads for this reason. I saw some good used 1100s at my local gunshop for around $300. With another couple hundred in parts and tuning you could have a good 3 gun shotgun.

Checkout http://www.brianenos.com/forums/  for more 3-gun info.

Also checkout Matt Burkets Shotgun Mastery video...he goes through setting up a Remington and a Benelli for 3 gunning.
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/videosmatt.html#dvd8
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#11]
i currently own a rem 870 that highly modified but i was thinking of useing this type of shotgun gfor 3-gun use and was just trying to find out which gun would be a better fit
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I would just use the 870 and get to know your local 3 gun crowd. Most people are very helpful and will even let you shoot their gun. Try different ones out to see which you like best. Modified Browning Golds are also a nice 3gun shotgun. I'm all for "shoot what ya got."  You might be surprised at how well you do with the pump, you'll have reliablity and ease of action on your side. If your going to use the pump, since it will eat anything, shoot the lightest shells you can get away with (strong enough to knock down the steels). 1oz or 7/8 oz are real light kicking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top