Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:28 PM EDT
Well, dad's 500 is finally starting to show its age--failure to lock up into battery at least half the time is evidence of its 30-some years on this planet.

That said...

It's time for a new boomer.  Primary uses will be Gobblers, Honkers, and the occasional whitetail in states that don't have rifle seasons (like Iowa).

I'm curious on experiences with the Mossberg 835 for such uses.  I can pick up a "combo" 12-gauge with 2, 24-inch barrels (one with screw-in chokes and one fully rifled with a cantilever scope mount) for about $375 OTD--in my choice of MOBU or Realtree Hardwoods HD.

So....anyone care to opine on this firearm?  

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked on a used 835, just a basic clean&inspect plus a bore polish.  The 835 seems to be a little more heavy duty than the 500's.

There are 2 things that I don't like about any Mossberg-
1- Mossberg customer service, and
2- they port most of their barrels (unnecessary!)

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
shooting magnum rounds used to hurt till I stuck a spec-op stock on it
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
shooting magnum rounds used to hurt till I stuck a spec-op stock on it

mags typically tend to be "less than comfortable" anyway.

thanks for the input fellas.  i had a couple issues with dad's old 500 a few years ago, and Mossberg got me the hookup with nary a hassle.  I would go with an 870, but I can't find anything near the price locally with the options.  Plus, I'm partial to the Mossberg safety as opposed to the Remington.  I guess when you grow up with something it's tough to switch to a new format.  

If I were looking for an autoloader, there would be no question that I'd be going with an 1187 or a Benelli (maybe a Stoeger to save a bit of cheese since it's the same gun).  I'm aware of some of the difficulties Mossberg has had with autoloader reliability.

That's why I'm sticking with a pump.  

Sure I plan on using it, but I'm not a die-hard waterfowl guy--once or twice is all I can manage to get out each season--so it won't be used as heavily as many others in that respect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a model 835 in Realtree camo that I bought new in 1995 for turkey and duck hunting. It's a great gun except for the fact that it kicks the living shit out of me when shooting those heavy turkey loads. I don't abuse my guns, but that 835 has been through some crap with me, especially when I duck hunted with it. It's very reliable and I wouldn't part with that shotgun for any other gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
That's the kind of thing I like to hear.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've got a model 835 in Realtree camo that I bought new in 1995 for turkey and duck hunting. It's a great gun except for the fact that it kicks the living shit out of me when shooting those heavy turkey loads. I don't abuse my guns, but that 835 has been through some crap with me, especially when I duck hunted with it. It's very reliable and I wouldn't part with that shotgun for any other gun.

We have one used for Dove/Duck hunting and has had about 10.000 rounds through it over the years without any mechanical problems. Only thing changed was the stock. I just picked up another for around $220 new.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had an 835 for the last 5-6 years.  I bought one in realtree camo with a 24 inch turkey barrel and fiber optic sights.  I have had no problems whatsoever with it.  I mainly use it for turkey and some pheasant hunting.  Last year I got a rifled slug barrel with a cantilever for deer hunting.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
When you are shooting 3 1/2" shells, particularly through an extremely tight choke you are going to feel a lot of recoil.  This reminds me, the 835 I went through did indeed get a LimbSaver Prefit recoil pad www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423385 .  That is $30 well spent for the comfort of the shooter.

I can't give any reports on how much recoil was dampened because the owner did NOT shoot the gun with the factory buttpad since it was hard like a tractor trailer bumper.

Mr. Ferret, I'm glad Mossberg took care of you when you had a problem.  As long as I have owned and shot their guns, they really broke my heart when I called.  (Watch for some Mossberg s'guns going up for sale in the EE section.)   You are correct, you should stick to what you are used to.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother and dad have one each. Only had one problem once at the range, shells in the tube seemed to be ejecting under recoil. Took it down and looked around inside, swiped it clean in the process, haven't been able to replicate the problem.

That only happened with one gun though, and despite that, I still like them since the problem has not come back.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#13]
How many rounds per year on the average went through that 500 over 30 years?

By "failing to lock into battery half the time" do you mean the bolt lock up on the barrel?

If so, chances are the locking lug and locking lug recess on the barrel extension are worn beyond the point of being serviceable.

A new bolt or at least a new locking lug and a new barrel should solve that problem.

Remington locking lugs are more oval shaped - not a square shaped lock up like the Mossberg's
When the Remington wears - the lock up starts to rattle and slosh around after about 100,000 to
150,000 rounds. The Mossbergs typically start doing this after 5,000 to 10,000 rounds depending upon what kind of ammo is used and how long the shooting sessions are.

What Remington did was offer an oversize locking lug with an "L" etched onto the lug. This takes up
the space in the worn locking lug recess in the barrel and extends the gun's life another 50,000 rounds by which time the barrel extension itself will likely develop a hairline crack near the end of the recess.

There's no official "lifetime" for these bolts and barrels - but I have been shooting trap for 25 years with Remingtons (1100 and 870) and have observed the barrels last about 150,000 - 250,000 rounds. The receivers possibly LESS since the rails wear down faster and the brazed on magazine tubes break off after  - in my case 17 years of 10,000+ rounds per year.

Hall of Famer Rudy Etchen put a qtr million at least - through one 870 and I know of an 1100 that went about 200,000 rounds through a 1963 - first year production barrel

The Remington 870s and 1100s are more durable than Mossbergs over the long haul - just as you've revealed with your thread (although I have been "flamed" before for saying that on other shotgun threads) for continuous firing over long periods of time.

Nothing wrong with the Mossbergs - they're fine for what they were intended for. I have two 500s and two Rem. 870s
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#14]
well, i went out last night and was all set to put the mossberg aside, and lo and behold i had an issue with it.  the truglo sights were as loose as a times square hooker, and nothing the guys at the shop and i tried would get them tightened down short of superglue.  that, combined with the fact that it just didn't seem to shoulder well for me, led me to take a gander at an all-black 870 super mag.

it fit me MUCH better, was more natural to shoulder, has a bead sight only, but they can drill/tap for a turkey scope no problem if i decide to do that.

so, while it would have been nice to have the camo finish and the fiber optic sights for the jellyheads, it turns out the Remington's gonna fit me better and save me a few bucks too.  I may look into a new bolt and barrel for that 500 eventually, and thank you for that info!  I just figured it was time to move up to a new primary, and I think I'll be quite happy with what I got.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Great picture! Boy do you and your dad look alike! MIKE.

Haha thanks but that's my brother and I! My brother is the one who dragged my dad along hunting when he was old enough, and now I'm trying to get both of them to shoot more since I am at 1 shell expended per goose this hunting season. Can't say the same for them!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...led me to take a gander at an all-black 870 super mag.

it fit me MUCH better, was more natural to shoulder, has a bead sight only, but they can drill/tap for a turkey scope no problem if i decide to do that.

so, while it would have been nice to have the camo finish and the fiber optic sights for the jellyheads, it turns out the Remington's gonna fit me better and save me a few bucks too.

Now you're talkin'!  

When it comes time for the Mossberg parts, if Mossberg starts to give you the paranoid, lawyer driven bs, go to Havlin for your parts.  Havlin's good people.  www.havlinsales.com/

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But the 410 would not feed from the mag right out of the box. It took two trips and a nasty letter from me to get it fixed. MIKE.

I've noticed that Mossberg's quality or attention to quality has grotesquely slipped on their 410's.  I handled a 410 Persuader recently at a gun store.  The gun was brand new and the bolt failed to lock in battery.  I was not impressed at all, nor was I impressed with the store owner's response of, "I don't know much about those..."  Pitiful, absolutely pitiful!

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

go to Havlin for your parts.  Havlin's good people.  www.havlinsales.com/

THANK YOU for that link!  that's even better than the pricing on Numrich's website (the only place i'd looked at to this point).

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, goodness!  I'm glad I spoke up!  Num-nuts (actually NO-nuts is better since little girls answer the phone that know absolutely nothing about guns) is the worst place to get parts.  30 or so years ago Numrich was a top-notch place.  They are still riding on that reputation, but people will start to learn that they ain't what they used to be.

Havlin is a husband and wife team as far as I know.  When you call, you are talking to the husband, Vic, I think.  He is a Mossberg finatic, so he is highly qualified and knowledgable in anything you would ever need to know to fix a Mossberg.

2guntom
454 Casull +

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually since you mentioned (the original post) you like the Remington, you can pick up a used
870 in good shape for less than what you'd pay for an 835 Mossberg new and get a gun that will last longer (small parts still need replacing like extractors and firing pin springs) but as far as bolt, receiver and and barrel extension life - Remington is better. And older Remingtons are better than new ones about ten times over.

Not to mention they made over 5 million 870s and 5 million 1100s (the real number may be near 6 million - but the last ten years or so, qc has suffered as with ALL guns)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#21]
already getting an 870 steve.  look about 6 posts above yours.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top