Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 12:59:43 AM EDT
I know this is a simple question but would using slugs in a regular 870 mess it up? Its not rifled like a deer shotgun or anything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Your smooth barrel will allow shots of accuracy to 100+ metres. No you will not hurt the barrel. On the second thought, Leaving in the modified choke or Cyl choke is a good option, but I have gotten away with five rounds thru a removed choke for one hunt, with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your smooth barrel will allow shots of accuracy to 100+ metres. No you will not hurt the barrel. make shure the choke is removed.

will shooting without a choke damage the threads on the inside of the barrel?

eta....
i think some chokes allow use of slugs so you don;t need to take them out.
also, use rifled slugs and not sabot slugs in a smooth barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Your smooth barrel will allow shots of accuracy to 100+ metres. No you will not hurt the barrel. make shure the choke is removed.

?

Get an improved cylinder choke
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
ALWAYS use a choke even when shooting slugs, improved cylider is what I would use, and it is definately ok to shoot sabot slugs as well
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember to get rifled slugs not the sabot style.

Out to 100 yards you can put an oz. of lead throug a lung and heart sized target.

Lots of "knock down power."  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried rifled slugs in my M590 out of curiosity. I was surprised to see a 3 shot group in 5". Pretty impressive. Kinda thumped my shoulder, too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...and it is definately ok to shoot sabot slugs as well.

Sabot slugs are designed for barrels that have rifling to spin the slug. Shooting these from a smoothbore will yield poor accuracy.

Rifled slugs actually have rifling built into them, which causes them to spin in a smoothbore barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
yup accuracy wont be that great out of a smooth barrel with Sabot slugs, BUT you can shoot sabot slugs out a smooth bore.  It all has its place...example, going into bear country   take the sabot slugs
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The ribs on the foster style slugs are not to spin the slug but to allow the slug to compress and  pass safely thru modified and full chokes.

Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and it is definately ok to shoot sabot slugs as well.

Sabot slugs are designed for barrels that have rifling to spin the slug. Shooting these from a smoothbore will yield poor accuracy.

Rifled slugs actually have rifling built into them, which causes them to spin in a smoothbore barrel.

Roger that!
With one caviat, the grooves in the slug kiss the choke on the way out, yes, and that causes them to spin, yes, but they are there to allow for compression through the choke, no more-no less.
For instance, my S&W 1000 shoots best with modified.  Go figure. But at 100 yards i have great groups.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top