Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:32 PM EDT
Hey all,

Need a new home/defensive shotgun.  Gave my brother my Mossberg 500 20" with extended tube and dual pistol grips (no buttstock), 5shell carrier, and barrel shroud to my brother and now I need one for my own.  I never had any problems with the Mossberg but she's HEAVY!  Are Remington 870's (or any others) any lighter?  Looking for a higher capacity, shorter barrel/tactical 12ga that will be 100% reliable and tough, just lighter than my old Moss 500.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
M500 and 870 are actually very similar in weight, despite the 500s alloy receiver.

If you want lighter, don't use an extended mag, and go for one of the plastic stocks.

Not often you hear someone ask for a LIGHTER shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the Mossberg never seemed heavy till the one night we had a break in.  I got to hold it at the ready for nearly 30 minutes, guarding outside the room my family was in until the police came to clear the house.  (I kept watch over the family, my taxes payed for the house clearing).  It just seemed real heavy.  

Will an 18" barrel be noticeably lighter than the 20?  I know it'll drop capacity but I'd really rather use 12ga instead of my AR for home defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top