Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 1:23:40 PM EDT
Has anyone trimmed a Surefire plastic integral forend light so that it does not overlap the receiver of an 870 so that it will be compatable with accessories such as the Mesa Tactical 8 round shell holder.  If so, could you post a picture of the finished product.  Preferable both an overall profile of the complete gun with forend light mounted and a close-up of the cut area.  I would also like to hear what technique /tool you used for the cutting.  Mesa Tactical says that they have done one with a radial arm saw and were satisfied with the finished product, but they didn''t have any pics.  I just want to do my research before I go hacking on a $200 light.  I know some of you are going to say to just use the 6 round shell holder, but after seeing the 8 round model I will never be satisfied with the 6.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you need to cut off??  I've done the same thing modifying a Remington Express forearm to use with a 6rd side saddle using a hack saw. A tiny little bit of clean up and edge rounding with a fine file, a little sandpaper, and it looks like it was made that way. The hack saw cut right through it very quickly. Take your time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to get uber clean and sharp, use a chop saw or miter saw.  Perfect 90 degree end and the chop saw is fast and the friction heat keeps the ends' from looking frawed.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The SureFire fore ends do not need trimming. They are based on the short LE fore end design and do overlap the receiver...or at least the two I have don't. Check out the picture posts tacked at the top of the forum and you should see what I mean.

They need trimming with the Mesa Tactical eight-shell holders.  I have to flee right now but I will try to post a photo tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are two images, the first of a modified Surefire forend, and the second of an unmodified Speedfeed forend, both installed on 870 shotguns fitted with our 8-Shell Holders:

As you can see, the shell holder goes right up to the edge of the receiver, so any forend that extends over the receiver, even a tiny bit, will have to be modified.  The Surefires extend over the receiver about 1/4".  We cut about 1/2" off the end of our Surefire forend.  The Speedfeed requires no modification.

The factory Remington forend (NOT the police tactical forend) is so long it needs to be cut even to fit with our 6-Shell Holders.

We recommend simply putting the forends in a miter or radial arm saw fitted with a wood blade and chopping away.  It only takes a second, and a sharp wood blade leaves a clean, almost factory appearance.

When we modified our Surefire, we mistakenly used an old pipe-cutting blade that someone had put on our saw, so it wasn't a very clean cut.  But a few minutes with some sandpaper restored its tidy appearance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks tremendously.  If your help on this forum and via e-mail is any indication of the overall customer service of your company, you have my business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top