Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:03:03 AM EDT
OK, being an 870/1100 Remington shooter I am not that well familiarized with Mossberg designs.

On a standard, field grade model 500, how is the magazine plug removed to allow the standard 5-shot capacity?

It can't be done from the front end where the barrel attaches. It appears solid and threaded for the barrel nut screw and there appears to be a crimped, "disk" on top of the front end of the magazine tube that to me, looks like it was meant to be permanentl.

I see the threads at the base of the tube where it goes into the receiver - Does one need to unscrew that? If so, are special tools required?

Any help from Mossberg shooters would be appreciated. I don't want to dive in and ruin my $149 purchase which is now a two shot gun.

Thanks In Advance
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:54:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 11:50:59 AM EDT by steveinct]
Thanks for the link! Excellent pics. Tried it to no avail. The gun is basically new even though it's 20 years old. Must eb assembly tight?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:12:06 AM EDT
Does anyone know how hard it is to "break" the thread and get the tube to turn? I don't want to bend the tube. It's definitely not coming off by hand turning the way the link shows in the picture.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:11:39 AM EDT
Why are you trying to take it off? The plug is just a 1/4" wooden dowel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:05:28 PM EDT
Yes. How is the dowel (plug) removed from the mag tube?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:10 PM EDT
remove the barrel point the gun down and shake it, if that don't work try putting some shells in the gun and see if it will push it out the front
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:30 PM EDT
THANKS A MILLION !!! tcmech!!!!

Holy crap! How freaking simple! I read your post, and voila! out popped the front end of the dowel rod that I just pulled through the little hole in the front. !!!!

Well, this is my first Mossberg. To think, for 25 years I shot nothing but Remingtons and for 25 years
I stripped 870 and 1100 actions and plug removal and replacement was always - - - put on the safety glasses - gently pry up and away on the bushing with the three little slits - keep face away from tube - get hand over tube and keep pressure to ease up the mag spring - - ease out spring - - remove green plastic plug - - reassemble in reverse

three seconds of no sweat versus ten minutes of white knuckling and three hours of searching dark brown carpet for missing black steel part behind my black painted steel work cabinets!

No wonder why Mossberg is now the world's #1 pump shotgun!!

Thanks again
Top Top