Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Despite all the bitching in this thread, I will say that the vids have given me some ideas with my shotgun.  I hadnt thought of practicing reloads like that before, but I can see where it would be a good thing to learn, so I'll give it some practice.  It would be good to get fast with reloading...

...at least so I can get back to my AR
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real nice...perhaps they should try it with loads made for defensive purposes instead of busting clay birds

uhm the splits might be 0.1 to 0.2 seconds slower...so what?

I'm not concerned with the split times but I think it will slow down the average shooter more than 0.1 or 0.2 seconds.

The significant increase in recoil would add another degree of difficulty to the procedure and be closer to what we may really encounter when having to use that method to load a shotgun. The first time you cut loose with a slug (or buckshot) from a shotgun that isn't shouldered properly may affect your ability to reload quickly without having "fumble fingers".

Try it for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for home
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll watch this when I get home...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm not concerned with the split times but I think it will slow down the average shooter more than 0.1 or 0.2 seconds.

Thats why you need to practice. I shoot a lot of birdshot, mainly due to price. My times on the Dozier Drill, however, are less than .03 difference between birdshot and buck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya know, I kind of like the heavier loads...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
What type of sights does he have on that 870?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been trying to find out who makes the shotgun in the vid. It looks like a Robar. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been trying to find out who makes the shotgun in the vid. It looks like a Robar. Anyone know?

It says Remington on the shotgun looks like some Wilson combat sights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you guys seen Patrick Flanigan?

Promo
11 clays
World record hip shooting

Also,

Someone posted some videos here a while ago of the single shot reloading and they guy was faster than in the most recent video.

Think he was a member too?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Dumb question:

Why does he only reload one or two shells at a time. (understand he is preforming one step of a reload) But I would like to see how fast he can reload the whole tube.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Dumb question:

Why does he only reload one or two shells at a time. (understand he is preforming one step of a reload) But I would like to see how fast he can reload the whole tube.

Cowboy action rules.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
SR wrote, "Any time score is kept you will have people who will do whatever it takes to win, this is unavoidable.  You will get out of competing, what you put into it.  The trick is putting aside your ego and accepting that you will not win.  Go to fulfull your own personal goals and have fun. "
and also, "I don't shoot cowboy action, but you would be hardpressed to find 3 gunners that can load as fast as those guys can either."

-----------------------

Agreed SR.  I consider myself a student of defensive/realistic shooting but will admit that my competitive nature comes through during matches.  I'm certainly no gamer, but will not complete stages entirely in a "tactical" method.  We all know that would take too much time.  In fact, since it's all a game it's completely unrealistic anyways, because if I knowingly faced (an example) 13 adversaries with little to no cover available and innocents (no-shoots) in close to touching proximity to my adversaries, would I engage?  H!#!ll no.  

Most of the time I find fault with the design of the course.  I prefer short, quick stages which I find to be more realistic.  These can simply be repeated 2-4 times with differences thrown in such as weak hand only, change of cover, etc.  Many field courses at the club I frequent have large field courses, and they sometimes dictate that many targets are taken on the move while transversing from one point of cover to another.  Understandable, but would YOU knowingly LEAVE cover to engage 4-5 targets(armed adversaries), some which were partially exposed due to no shoots placed in front of them?  This at 12-20 yards with a shotgun, while moving?  Yes, it's part of the course.  Yes, I complete it the way they want.  In real life would I leave cover to do this?  Absolutely not.  

Another example would be encountering corners (i.e., slicing the pie).  It's not a hidden stage, so you're standing there watching everyone else complete the stage, and of course you've completed the walk through so you know where the targets are around the corner.  When I do these I shoot the targets in IDPA "sequence" or "order" (I always forget which is the correct term) but I do it quickly.  I'm pying, but very, very quickly!    So...just like you call it a compressed trigger break, I call it a compressed slice the pie!  Some guys, the complete gamers, will simply throw themselves around the corner, completely in view of all targets, and take them down.  I will take them in the order in which I see them which is also in the order of their exposure to me and my exposure to them.  The three gun matches at my club used to be done more tactically sound, but not anymore.  Like SR says, I take it upon myself to shoot as "sound" as I want to, but I'm still competitive.  If I was to approach it like a blind corner, I sure as h!@ll wouldn't go through the turn like I do in a match.  Two completely different things.  Yes, I like to train realistically.  But this isn't training, it's a shooting competition.  I'm not willing to add on 1 min in a 40 sec stage because I want to realistically take my time pying a corner.  As long as I know when the competition stops and real life begins, then I'm fine.  I have no problems adapting to both.  

Regarding the cowboy shooters and their reloading skills.  I've seen some footage of them at the "End of Trail" shoot and also some shooting shows and have always been impressed of their speed and competence.  Most IPSC shotgun shooters use that tube reloader, correct?  I don't believe I've seen anyone faster than the top cowboy shooters in reloading single shells through either the port or the tube.  Amazingly fast.  I only wish I could have the time to practice that and have a percentage of their apparent skill.  

EricO
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top