Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:13 PM EDT
I tried some of the LE13200 "flight control" load today.  8" patterns at 25 yards from my 870.  This same 870 shoots 13" patterns with Hornady TAP Blue, 16" with the old Fed Tac Load, 17" with Fed Classic F12700, 19.5" with Fed Tac Load 000 Buck!

From this 870 the new Federal stuff is the tightest patterning buckshot I have tried.  YMMV.

BTW: I also tried the new "powerball" slugs and was not impressed.  No better accuracy than the conventional slugs in my 870.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Hornady TAP red uses the Flight Control wad as well.  I get very tight patterns with that.  I fired a box of 5 at 25 yards, and was barely able to get my two fists, side by side, through the one big hole.

I was never impressed by the accuracy of the Hornady TAP blue.  Maybe I got a bad lot, I dunno.

I will try the Federal load out when I can find it local.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hornady TAP red uses the Flight Control wad as well.  I get very tight patterns with that.  I fired a box of 5 at 25 yards, and was barely able to get my two fists, side by side, through the one big hole.

I was never impressed by the accuracy of the Hornady TAP blue.  Maybe I got a bad lot, I dunno.

I will try the Federal load out when I can find it local.

Hornady TAP uses a licensed copy of the Choke shot cup.  Federals Flight Control wad is also licensed copy of the Choke shot cup which has been tweaked a little by federal.

I picked up two more sleeves of the Federal at the Del Mar gun show today.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad to here that . I been messing around w/ the chokes that came with my Benelli and an after market choke . After that I had my smith open up my extented aftermarket "Jellyhead" to a tight modified so I could still shoot steel and called it good .

I've tested all these chokes and modifications using ONLY one type load thats the 12 count S&B 00 Buck . I couldn't get it any tighter than 15 1/4 ".  I wasnt happy at all .

I finally talked to two of these guys who sell (Invented) tricked out chokes (patented) and they both told me "yes they work very good XYZ Brand ." Of course high dollar  loads .

I'll have to try some of those Federal "Flight Control" wads .
I like the S&B 12 count for the three extra pellets but they dont have a shot cup OR even a sleeve wrap it's just lead on bore! They are cheap and I'll keep using them for stashing deep , BUT I am going to hunt some of those Fed. shells and reassure myself my Benelli is not broke .

The last Mod I've thought of making to my Jellyhead is backboring it ......?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top