Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:29 PM EDT
I don't know the make and model of it. I'll be able to figure all that out whenever I actually get it. The problem is, it hasn't been shot in a LONG time. There is a rust build up on the barrel, and I'm sure some rust internally. What is the best way to get this cleaned up and safe for use?? I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it home. I'm looking to do all the work myself (I'm a tinkerer, and want to start learning more on guns; already done some work on my Ruger 10/22), so I don't want to bring it to a 'smith if it can be helped.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:11 AM EDT
I owuld just use some CLP or whatever to clean it up. Remove the trigger mechanism and clean it up. Clean the barrel and if youthink you to, have a gunsmith look it over. Some old shotguns are pretty valuable, so I would definitely find out as much as you can about it so you can make a proper decision as to what you intend to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
I would suggest a gun smith and a solvent tank.

It's one thing if your .22LR blows up in your face - it's another animal all together if it's a 12 gauge.

Love those family heirlooms
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:57:24 PM EDT
I have an old WInchester Model 12, 20 GA that belonged to my Great Grandaddy. I have not shot it 5 years or so. I figure its something to pass on if I ever plague the world with my offspring. I say clean it up and leave it alone.
Top Top