Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 2:00:50 PM EDT
Ok, I want to know if anyone can tell a difference between the 3 ½” 12 gauge shells and the 3” shells, say on waterfowl.  I also was wondering what people think or have experienced to be the better performing shotgun, the Beretta Xtrema 2 or the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
While I am no 'expert' I've been a duck and goose hunting guide for the past few years.  I've seen and shot A LOT of different shotguns/loads.  

What do you mean "tell a difference"??   In performance on ducks or recoil?  Performance, 3.5" is better hands down, no question.  As for recoil, both guns mentioned are auto, unless your a 10 yr. old girl recoil shoundn't be an issue.

Seen many autos jam up and handed out a back up 870 on numerous occasion. I personally will use nothing but an 870 super mag if for no other reason than dependability.   Weirdest story involves the said Beretta Extrema.  A goose I shot landed the pits down from me right on to a clients gun!  It was toast.  Does that mean an auto is more fragile than a pump? Not sure.

If you goose hunt and get dirty, auto isn't the best way to go.  While I can't question that an auto is way better for follow uo shots, I will still pick the pump 'cause I've seen autos die, never a pump.

I'll vote for the SBE (Benelli) better system in opinion, if you must go auto.

We do I lot of combo hunts ( duck and geese) as such I load up 3.5" BBB lead & 3.5" #2 HeviShot.  Go 3.5" on shells, HeviShot makes a world of difference, definitly worth the price!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Benelli Super Black Eagle. It will cycle anything. 2 3/4, 3" and 3.5" all at the same time.

The Beretta Xtrema is a good gun too. I have a few friends that own them.

The Beretta is gas, so it has less recoil but will need to be cleaned more than the Benelli. You should always clean your guns, but the Benelli is recoil operated and will take more dirt and grime than the Beretta.

Also for the money a Benelli NOVA pump is a great way to go. The NOVA is 3.5" and is about the 1/3rd the price of a Super Black Eagle. And they come in a lot of camo patterns. The NOVA is cheaper than a 870 SuperMag.

I have locked up a few 870s while shooting birds in the past ( I know it was my error, but a lot of people have short stroked a 870 in the field and the gun locks up and can't be used til it is fixed)

There for I stick to the Benelli Super Black Eagle or NOVA pump.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The Xtrema I saw had a barrel that said it was for steel shot, the Benelli did not. Just wondering if I would need to order a Benelli with a barrel made for steel shot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll be fine, only make sure the chokes you use and good to go w. steel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Chris

Get the gun that fits YOU...  an 870 and a Nova are different 'sizes'  Nova is a little bigger, try 'em both out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Get the gun that fits YOU...  an 870 and a Nova are different 'sizes'  Nova is a little bigger, try 'em both out.

Great point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top