Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 1:24:15 PM EDT
im thinking of picking one up with a 20" barrell do these come with different chokes and can skeet/trap be shot with this setup?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned several 1200's and 1201's.  I have never known any of their 20" bbls to have a  interchangeble choke system. The 20" will more than likely be Improved Cylinder. If you moved up to the 26" you would have multiple chokes. Be fore warned though, it's a vicious recoiler. Great gun, but stout on the recoil, even with trap and skeet loads.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few Beretta 1201FPs they are great shotguns.

My Dad has a 1201FP 20" that has choke tubes. This is not a factory set up. He bought a 1201FP 20" barrel at a gun show. The barrel was sent off to a gunsmith who added Win chokes to the end of the barrel.

It is not the best looking set up....but it works. Dad uses it for hunting and sporting clays.

The 18 and 20" 1201 shotguns are set up HD and LE work. The 26" is set up for hunting/trap/skeet and do come with factory chokes. But the 26" gun will not hold 7 rounds like the 20". And you can not put a 26" barrel in a 7 shot 1201.

If you want I can take a few pics of the shotgun for you.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the 1201FPG3 and was looking at a 1200 wood stocked hunting model.

I started to wonder about parts/bbl.  interchangability between the two, just because...

Then I saw a thread here about the Benelli M1 Super 90 ( very similar to the 1201 --- "identical cousins" kind of thing ) and wondered if the bbls. were interchangable between the Benelli & Beretta...

Why won't the hunting bbl. for the 1201 fit the 1201FP?  magazine tube length?

Anyone have answers to those questions?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I see 'why' now:
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/ber_1201p.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/ber_1201f.jpg

( uh, how do I get these pix copped to this site for explanation? )
Still, if someone would explain the pictures into words, it'd help me understand it better.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Tried it from a different site:

UZI4you, if you've got pix and can explain it, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Benelli barrels will mount into the Beretta receiver, but the magazine tubes are wrong.  The Beretta has a lug that attaches to the end of the mag tube, whereas the Benelli has a ring that slips over the tube.  I haven't tried to switch the magazine tubes, but as long as the threads in the receiver are the same (I'm 99% sure they are) you should be able to switch barrel, magazine and forearm.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tried it from a different site:

www.husaria.w8w.pl/images/icons/Beretta%201201F.gif

www.husaria.w8w.pl/images/icons/Beretta%201201FP%20.gif

UZI4you, if you've got pix and can explain it, that'd be great.

I will try and take some pics tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
would this be a good gun for 3-gun (competition)use????
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Be fore warned though, it's a vicious recoiler. Great gun, but stout on the recoil, even with trap and skeet loads.

Big +1 on the vicious recoil,I have a 1201FP and it only cycles with 3" shells .
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
can u reload this gun on the move with one round still in the chamber "top off"????
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
can u reload this gun on the move with one round still in the chamber "top off"????

I don't think so.
I think it has to run the mag dry.
The way it is initially loaded is to put one in the chamber and close the bolt, then load the mag.

Anybody else add to this?  Please...?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like you'd have to do that in reverse?? load the tube then the breech, cause if you could load the tube with a round in the chamber then you could probable load the tube on the go????

any way if that is true then i don't think they'd be a good choice for 3-gun matches? unless theres a way to get around/defeat that mech.???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so.
I think it has to run the mag dry.
The way it is initially loaded is to put one in the chamber and close the bolt, then load the mag.

Anybody else add to this?  Please...?

Yes you can, in exactly the way you describe it.  Unless I have the question wrong, "topping off" the mag is the only way to load it if there is one in the chamber already.  If the gun is completely empty, it locks back and you have to put a shell directly into the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
are you sure it's the same for this model? i remember reading it has some funny feeding requirements?????
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, you can top off the tube before it is empty.  It works just like a  Benelli.  If the action is open throw a round in through the ejection port and close it.  If the action is closed load into the mag tube like normal.  Doesn't matter if the chamber is loaded or empty as long as the action is closed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yes, you can top off the tube before it is empty.  It works just like a  Benelli.  If the action is open throw a round in through the ejection port and close it.  If the action is closed load into the mag tube like normal.  Doesn't matter if the chamber is loaded or empty as long as the action is closed.

Actually, there has to be one in the chamber to be able to load them into the mag hence you are always "topping off the mag".  This is on the 18inch FP with 6+1 mag, not sure if it's the case with other models.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
does any one know if the make a exyended mag tube that will hold more rounds than the 6+1 for this model? maybe around a 9+1/10+1???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top