Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 5:58:58 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with these two loads?

I have a bunch of the Winchester Ranger 00, 8 pellet low recoil and from what I understand it is supposed to group very well. Anyone know how it does vs. the Federal 9 pellet tactical? I almost bought some of the Federal today, but it was $3.95 a box of 5 and the Winchester was only $2.25.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had bad luck with Winchester 00 Buck, generally and I have had good luck with Federal 00 Buck, gernerally.  That said, I think each load will pattern differently in each shotgun so the only way to know which will pattern better in you weapon is to buy both and then do some patterning tests to see which is best.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone have experience with these two loads?

I have a bunch of the Winchester Ranger 00, 8 pellet low recoil and from what I understand it is supposed to group very well. Anyone know how it does vs. the Federal 9 pellet tactical? I almost bought some of the Federal today, but it was $3.95 a box of 5 and the Winchester was only $2.25.

Wow $3.95 for a box of Fed Tac 00 9-Pell?

Best I can find online is about $6 a box of 5, and that's you having to buy 500rds at a time, from Ammoman.

Anyways, the Fed shoots great out of my Benelli M1S90.  I dont have any other shots to compare it to though, since it's all I use.

It does shoot a little high though at 20 yards for me.

Here's a pic of me just shooting around and shit.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep the Federal in my house gun.  Picked up 50 rounds at a gun show for pretty cheap, don't remember exactly how much.  Good pattern, seems to pack plenty of punch.  No experience with the Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered 3 cases of the federal tactical 00 buck from Streichers for $74.00 a case (250 rounds) If my math is right, thats about $1.50/ box of 5. Single boxes are $2.50 each.

Can't beat that. ANYWHERE.

Ammoman=
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have experience with both of them (Fed Tactical and Winchester 9-pellet Ranger).

Both are excellent.  One shotgun patterns slightly better with one, another shotgun slightly better with the other.  Buy based on price, or buy a couple boxes of each, try them in your gun, and then make your decision.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just ordered 3 cases of the federal tactical 00 buck from Streichers for $74.00 a case (250 rounds) If my math is right, thats about $1.50/ box of 5. Single boxes are $2.50 each.

Ammoman=homepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gif

Your math is wrong.  In order to get 250 rounds, you need 50 boxes x $2.50 a box, that's $125 + shipping, about the same as ammoman.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammoman=homepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gifhomepage.mac.com/mmanus/.Pictures/ha.gif

Your math is wrong.  In order to get 250 rounds, you need 50 boxes x $2.50 a box, that's $125 + shipping, about the same as ammoman.

If you call them you get the case price. Try it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
check your local Wal-Mart for Remingtom reduced recoil 00 buck.  Mine seels it for $2.27 per box. It patterns a little better thatn the Winchester ranger 00 in my Benelli.  I have not tried the Federal load.

Andy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
check your local Wal-Mart for Remingtom reduced recoil 00 buck.  Mine seels it for $2.27 per box. It patterns a little better thatn the Winchester ranger 00 in my Benelli.  I have not tried the Federal load.

Andy

Hell my Chinamart doesnt even carry 00 Buck
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No min order?  Do you have to be LEO?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got my 870P, so I've only fired a few rounds to verify function.  But I keep Federal Tactical 00, as I buy it from the local training academy for $2.50/5  Same price for the Federal Tac Slugs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No minimum. Not LEO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got off the phone with them.  They never heard of any of you guys, they didn't even know how many rounds are in a case, and he wanted, "$90-95 per case" for the Federal.

I'll pass on a business that works like that.

"I'm not sure why he would get a discount if he's not buying on a department contract.  We don't offer  discounts on ammunition because there isn't that much profit."
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got off the phone with them.  They never heard of any of you guys, they didn't even know how many rounds are in a case, and he wanted, "$90-95 per case" for the Federal.

I'll pass on a business that works like that.

"I'm not sure why he would get a discount if he's not buying on a department contract.  We don't offer  discounts on ammunition because there isn't that much profit."

I'll post my invoice when it arrives, if you like.
Streichers is VERY unorganized. But they have what I want at good prices. Call back and talk to someone else.
So, are you saying the never heard of Rock7?? Strange.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#17]
The Winnie Ranger is good ammo, but not in the same league as the Federal. The Federal is simply better ammo, with better components.

I need to try some Hornady TAP 00. I have been told by a couple of guys that have shot it that the patterns are amazing. pie plate at 25 yards amazing. I somehow doubt its that good, but its worth a try.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I called today too.

Dude, said $125 per case....... Eric was his name specifically

If you got it for $74 I consider you lucky.

I'd have bought 3 or 4 cases at that price.

I did read on the website  that the Ammo surcharge is $10 per case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ammoman sells the Federal for $37 / 50rd. "sleeve"  with a 2 sleeve order minimum or $149 / 250rd. that is $74 for 100rd. which is $3.70 for 5rd. bought that way or $596 / 1000 by the 250rd. case ($59.60 / 100 or under $3.00 for 5rd.)

Top quality Buck and slugs are not cheap. Years ago, ordering ten thousand + at a time on government contracts, they still were often over $400 / 1000, so the $3.95 for a single box from a dealer is not outrageous in 2006, and the $2.25 price is excellent.

I have fired and seen fired, thousands of rounds of Federal #00 Tactical. It is a good load and generally patterns tighter in most shotguns. I personally prefer their Premium plated Buck at standard velocities, but the Tactical will get the job done for sure. No experience...yet...with the WW Ranger loads, but I have used mucho standard WW Buck and it all shot just fine.

I thought I was the only one still packing that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 100 rounds of the Winchester Ranger 00Buck for a class when I couldn't find enough Federal in a hurry, and I really liked it.  It patterned almost identically to the Federal Tactical, didn't have much recoil, and was reasonably clean.  If you can get it at a good price (I got mine at www.kieslersonline.com), jump on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll post my invoice when it arrives, if you like.
Streichers is VERY unorganized. But they have what I want at good prices. Call back and talk to someone else.
So, are you saying the never heard of Rock7?? Strange.

Please do post the invoice.  I'd like a couple of cases for myself from them.

I checked wally world in Wisconsin today.  2 3/4 inch 00 @ 3.47 a box, 3" was over $4 a box.  No reduced recoil at all either, it was all full power stuff.  Illinois Wal Marts usually don't carry buck at all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Dunno if it's just a local thing, but I couldn't resist stocking up. Winchester 12ga 2.75" high brass 8 pellet 00 buck - 15rd box, $6.68. 5rd boxes usually go for $4-5 around here.

Nice to walk away with 100 rds of buckshot for $45.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up some Ranger 00 Buck 12ga from www.outdoormarksman.com at the local show last weekend.  25 rd box for $12.50  They don't have it listed on their site, but it was on their table.  Now I need to pickup a box of Hornady and compare patterns out of my 870P.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#24]
The PD I was formerly with used Estate buckshot loads. Estate Cartridge Co. I understand is partially owned by Federal. The Estate buckshot loads performed well. I think you can purchase them from the Sportsman's Guide, but I can't remember the price. Uh oops, just checked Sportsmanguide.com and no Estate buckshot. They do have Sellier & Bellot real cheap and Remington Buckshot (00) for $2.57/box of 5. The Sellier & Bellot is available in larger quantities. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
2.57 a box isn't that cheap.  Ammunitionstore.com has 250 rds for 65 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#26]
$1.30 per 5 rounds. Now that's cheap!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Wonder what happened to the receipt for $74 cases of tactical buck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Streichers screwed me, thats what happened. They quoted me $74.00/case on the phone. "ok, i'll take 3 cases then!"

Suckers, i thought to myself.

Well, the ammo arrived along with the invoice: $125.00/case.

Still not a bad price, though. I'll keep it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Streichers screwed me, thats what happened. They quoted me $74.00/case on the phone. "ok, i'll take 3 cases then!"

how much was shipping?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much was shipping?

Don't remember. Nothing to get excited about, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much was shipping?

Well, doesnt it say it on the invoice?  Or was it $125 a case, shipped?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much was shipping?

Well, doesnt it say it on the invoice?  Or was it $125 a case, shipped?

Yes, there was a shipping charge. Not much as I recall. The invoice went directly to the shredder.(Can't have the wife finding things like that laying around) I'm sure you could find out if you call them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top