Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 11:11:24 PM EDT
I've never owned a shotgun before. I shot a .410 when I was about 8 years old. I would like to get a Remington shotgun. I'm not sure though what model or gauge to get.

I would use the shotgun as a multi-purpose type of gun for both home defense in the event of some sort of attack and as a hunting gun.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to model and brand?

I'm going to shoot my grandfather's 12 gauge mag sometime and see how I like it. It will probably whoop my ass however.

Any replies are appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to Remington's web site.
www.remington.com

For what you want, a Remington 870 Express would be a good choice.
The Express is Remington's "budget" priced gun.  It has the same steel receiver and heavy duty parts as the more expensive Wingmaster or Police guns, but doesn't have the high polished blue finish or fancy walnut stock of the Wingmaster.

Remington sells several "combo" models which come with two barrels, one longer sporting barrel with screw in chokes, and a shorter barrel for slugs or buckshot.

They also sell two guns for home defense, listed un the Express with 18" barrels.
One has a standard length 4 shot magazine, and the other has an extended 6 shot magazine.
These are perfect for defense, but would need an extra, longer barrel for hunting most game.

Although all Remington 870's are chambered for the 3" Magnum shells, and they do make several 3 1/2" Super Magnum guns, MOST shotgunners shoot standard load 2 3/4" shells, and many are shooting "Reduced Recoil" shells for home defense.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the REM 870 EXP
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda depends on how much $$$ you are willing to pony up!  Not to mention, what are you hunting?  Deer, rabbit, dove, quail, all of the above?  

12 gauge if you want a all around great hunting gun
20 gauge if you want less recoil than a 12ga.

Get a 1100 "autoloader" which is semiautomatic for "as fast as you can pull the trigger"
Get a 870 if you want the cheaper pump action shotgun.
Get a 1187 if you have more $$ than you know what to do with.
Get a 1196 for a very nice all around shotgun and is even lighter than the 1100, but still a autoloader.  (this is my next endeavor).

I own a 1100 12ga. and a 1100 LT20ga. (used more by wife & daughter).
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for an 870 Express Combo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Reimgton 870 or the 11-87 if you have the $$. its the most versitial shotgun IMHO.
have fun and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's another vote for the 870 Express Combo.... or, an 1100 if you have a bit more $$$ to spend...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A Remy 870P will need nothing in modifications to suit your needs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top