Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:56:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 11:22:29 AM EDT by cdhicks99]
I am looking for my next shottie. I really like the Rem.870 as do many. However the Moss.500 is much more affordable.

Is there really that much quality difference or does Rem. just like its' name better?

I know I'm probably opening a large can 'o worms but I want opinions on both.

ETA: I can't go with the obvious choice............I can't afford both

Thanks
Cory
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:05:11 AM EDT
The 500 action will never come close to the smoothness of an 870 wingmaster.

When the 500 gets dirty, it's even worse.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:06:23 AM EDT
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I just came from a pawn shop after looking at shotguns as well. I've got my eye on a Mossberg model 500 with an 18 1/2" barrel and a pistol grip.

I've got a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag that I wouldn't part with for the world, but I know that the Remington 870 is a great shotgun. I've only had experience with hunting shotguns, and no experience with tactical guns so I'd like to hear opinions from guys that would know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:09:56 AM EDT
I too figured this was a dead horse but found nothing in the search.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
Also if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to help me out.

This weapon will be for defensive and 3gun shoots.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:31:04 AM EDT
Hvae had my Mossberg 500 for 12 years. When ever we shot my friends will have thier high end shotguns and not be able to chamber a round, they laugh and give it to me since my gun will fire them.

No amount of dirt or gunk will cause it to stop working. People complain about it being a bit noisy, I have found that it is only noisy if you are being noisy as well. So the action isn't as smoothe as other shot guns, I know it will work. I trust mine over any other design that I have from a Benelli Nova to Barretta Urika 391 to an old Stevens single shot.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:38:49 AM EDT
whatever you get, get a knoxx stock for it. they make them for both guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:02:50 PM EDT
I have 3 500s and an 870. Bought the 500s cheap over the years but only a couple years ago found a great deal on an 870.

Both are good guns, and despite the 500's alloy receiver, the guns weigh roughly the same.

Action is much smoother and tighter on the 870 (this one is 50 years old!). All three of the 500 slides rattle (this is normal), the 870 does not.

Safety is a button behind the trigger on 870, a button on top of the tang on 500. 500 works better if you have to share the gun with a lefty. 500 safety is useless, however, if you ever want to put a pistol-gripped stock on it--you can't reach it from a pistol grip.

Plenty of accessories are available for each. 870 prolly has the edge, but almost anything you want is available for 500 too.

With 870, you can add or take off mag extensions whenever you want. With 500 you are stuck with the factory standard or long mag. Most 500s have the standard mags. If you get a long mag 500, be aware that regular 500 barrels will not interchange. Long mag barrels were only made in a few different types and they are not easy to find.

Both guns have a good selection of extra barrels available (except the long mag 500s). Mossberg barrels are cheaper, but you see more 870 barrels floating around.

You prolly won't live long enough to wear out a 500. Your great-grandchildren won't live long enough to wear out an 870. As I said, both are good guns. I prefer the 870 but never felt outgunned or undergunned all those years I had to "make do" with the 500s. I often said the 500 was 90% the gun the 870 was at half the price. It all comes down to what you want to spend. If you really want an 870, look around, you can find good deals on them used sometimes. If you just want a darn good pump gauge cheap, the 500 will do to ride the river with. I'd much rather be armed with a used $100 Mossberg than a $200+ 870 that is still sitting at the pawn shop because I didn't have that much scratch up at the time.

That's prolly about as impartial a judgement as you're gonna get on these two guns, from a man who owns them both.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:16:56 PM EDT
I like the tang safetey of the Mossberg, and everything else about the 870.

I looked at both and bought two 870's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:57:33 PM EDT
I have a Rem 870 12ga Express mag and a Mossberg 500 12ga "cruiser" with standard and pg stocks.

They both have posatives, both shoot well. My Rem has rifled sights, and that is the only thing that gives it an edge.

Neither disappoint. Police and Military use and issue BOTH.

If it's a money issue, get the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:03:19 PM EDT
I am definately leaning towards the Mossy now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Snake45:
I have 3 500s and an 870. Bought the 500s cheap over the years but only a couple years ago found a great deal on an 870.

Both are good guns, and despite the 500's alloy receiver, the guns weigh roughly the same.

Action is much smoother and tighter on the 870 (this one is 50 years old!). All three of the 500 slides rattle (this is normal), the 870 does not.

Safety is a button behind the trigger on 870, a button on top of the tang on 500. 500 works better if you have to share the gun with a lefty. 500 safety is useless, however, if you ever want to put a pistol-gripped stock on it--you can't reach it from a pistol grip.

Plenty of accessories are available for each. 870 prolly has the edge, but almost anything you want is available for 500 too.

With 870, you can add or take off mag extensions whenever you want. With 500 you are stuck with the factory standard or long mag. Most 500s have the standard mags. If you get a long mag 500, be aware that regular 500 barrels will not interchange. Long mag barrels were only made in a few different types and they are not easy to find.

Both guns have a good selection of extra barrels available (except the long mag 500s). Mossberg barrels are cheaper, but you see more 870 barrels floating around.

You prolly won't live long enough to wear out a 500. Your great-grandchildren won't live long enough to wear out an 870. As I said, both are good guns. I prefer the 870 but never felt outgunned or undergunned all those years I had to "make do" with the 500s. I often said the 500 was 90% the gun the 870 was at half the price. It all comes down to what you want to spend. If you really want an 870, look around, you can find good deals on them used sometimes. If you just want a darn good pump gauge cheap, the 500 will do to ride the river with. I'd much rather be armed with a used $100 Mossberg than a $200+ 870 that is still sitting at the pawn shop because I didn't have that much scratch up at the time.

That's prolly about as impartial a judgement as you're gonna get on these two guns, from a man who owns them both.

img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Snake45/870XM1.jpg

Can't argue with that.

I have bolth as well, and I like them bolth, but I would give the 870 the edge.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:54:51 AM EDT
Both are good shotguns, but the 870 is by far the better of the 2... if anything, just for these 2 points:

"Action is much smoother and tighter on the 870 (this one is 50 years old!). All three of the 500 slides rattle (this is normal), the 870 does not."

"With 870, you can add or take off mag extensions whenever you want. With 500 you are stuck with the factory standard or long mag. Most 500s have the standard mags. If you get a long mag 500, be aware that regular 500 barrels will not interchange. Long mag barrels were only made in a few different types and they are not easy to find."

As mentioned, the 500 is a bit more user friendly for lefties, but that isn't an issue for me... Lastly, if you'll possibly use it for deer hunting, I've yet to see a 500 that'll shoot slugs as accurately as an average 870...

In short, the 500 is a good pump - the 870 is the best pump EVER made, and the extra cost of the 870 isn't all that much when you consider what you get out of it... I'd be willing to bet there are PLENTY of people who owned a 500, then later switched to(and stuck with) an 870 - bet you can't find many who dumped an 870 in favor of a 500, though....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:37 AM EDT
I carry 870s at work and a 590 as my personal shotgun. They both run great. I like the tang safety on the 590 because I am left handed.

I am also an armorer for Remington, Sig, Smith and Colt. Remingtons seldom break and can always be repaired.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:38:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:08:52 AM EDT
You get what you pay for. -Justin
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:27:45 AM EDT
Ive owned 4 mossberg pumps. 2 835 models when i was a teen.
I recently bought 2 used mossberg one is camo 835 and the other is a 500.

I like them both great guns. I bought so friends could hunt Im a backwards lefty shotter so the safty up top is a plus as the remington can be almost dangerous if your left handed or if you have cross dominated eyesight.

I looked at remington 870 but Ive heard they are not the shotgun they use to be. But none are probaly what they use to be this day and age.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:35:27 AM EDT
I've owned both but I definitely prefer the 870...I just picked up a "used" (unfired, in box w/warranty papers) 870 Express home defense model w/ 18" barrel for $240.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:37:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By goodoleboy:
... the remington can be almost dangerous if your left handed or if you have cross dominated eyesight...

??

I don't understand what you mean.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 6:44:53 AM EDT by BerlinVet]

Originally Posted By Rodent:

... the remington can be almost dangerous if your left handed or if you have cross dominated eyesight...

??

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
870- and I shoot lefty.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
I say go for the 590 with the ghost ring sights. That's my next shotgun purchase. My 500 has held up pretty well over the years. The safety on the top is my favorite selling point.

Spending more money on a gun does not guarantee any fewer problems. I was at a match one day when a Wilson 870 came off the line broke.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:15:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:25:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PVFD304:
Spending more money on a gun does not guarantee any fewer problems. I was at a match one day when a Wilson 870 came off the line broke.

I'm willing to bet because of what Wilson did to it, rather than the quality of the Remington factory. The only thing I have ever seen break on an 870 was a shell latch, and that was after years and years of use and abuse. I bet if you just replaced the shell latches every ten years, the 870 would never break down.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:29:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cdhicks99:
I am looking for my next shottie. I really like the Rem.870 as do many. However the Moss.500 is much more affordable.

Is there really that much quality difference or does Rem. just like its' name better?

I know I'm probably opening a large can 'o worms but I want opinions on both.

ETA: I can't go with the obvious choice............I can't afford both

Thanks
Cory

My best advice is look for a good used Remington 870P. You'll get a tough-as-nails shotgun, likely at a better price than a new Mossberg.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:57:18 AM EDT
cdhicks: Have you thought about a Mossberg 590? I have one with 20" barrel, 8 shot tube, and ghost ring sites. Its a beefier shotgun than the 500 for sure. I like it.

Anyway I've owned an 870, a 500, and the 590. I sold the 500 because I like the feel of the 870 better. I never had a problem with the 500, it just didnt feel as "right" as my 870 does.

If I could only have one shotgun for 3 gun, self defense, or combat it would be the 870.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:03:01 AM EDT
I have 3 Mossbergs. I like the 870s but the mossbergs work for me.

Max
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:12:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BerlinVet:

??

+1

Do a web search....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:23:15 PM EDT
590A1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:28:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cdhicks99:
Also if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to help me out.

This weapon will be for defensive and 3gun shoots.

I own 4 870's and love them. I have never owned a Mossberg 500 or 590 but I believe they are good shotguns. They were good enough th win the Government military testing/contract so that says something to me.

I highly reccomend the 870 but I think you will be pleased with the Mossberg if that is what you buy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:22:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:47:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BerlinVet:

??

+1

Do a web search....

Do a reality check!

I've been shooting a Remington 870 for over ten years; before that it was an Ithaca 37 with the same style of safety. Never had a problem.

Are you referring to the possibility that a lefty may try to reach through the trigger gaurd to disengage the safety??? I'd say that's hardly an argument against someone owning one, more of an argument for people to practice a little common sense.

Oh, and I did a web search for "Remington 870 left hand safety" and "Remington 870 left hand safety dangers". Nothing came up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:02:20 AM EDT
I've got an 870, shot skeet with an 870 for years. My best friend has the long magazine 500, it's also a fine gun. But the remington is certainly tighter and smoother. I've practiced practical reloads with each and the 870 wins. This would be a big deciding factor for me if I was picking a gun for practical competitions. The other factor would be that pistol grips on the 500 suck, due to the location of the safety. Not a factor for me as I refer a traditional stock on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:29:32 AM EDT

I've been shooting a Remington 870 for over ten years; before that it was an Ithaca 37 with the same style of safety. Never had a problem.

Are you referring to the possibility that a lefty may try to reach through the trigger gaurd to disengage the safety??? I'd say that's hardly an argument against someone owning one, more of an argument for people to practice a little common sense.

Oh, and I did a web search for "Remington 870 left hand safety" and "Remington 870 left hand safety dangers". Nothing came up.

Didnt mean to piss you off. Just didnt feel like writing it all up since I read about this problem on this very board.Ill spend 10 minutes writing it so we can buddies again!

The safety on the 870 is made to be disaegngaed with the shooter right thumb. Well If your left handed the guns safety is backwards and you cannot see the Little red area on the safety showing your ready for fire.
To view the safety from a lefty propspective You have to dismount from the shooting posistion,Take one hand off the gun, hold the shotgun (butt directly towards the ground), and then rotate the gun to see if it on safe or not.

Very impractical if your hunting or getting ready to shoot a target.

Trust me its a pain. If your right hadned right eye dominant you wont have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 2:17:50 AM EDT by 53vortec]

Didnt mean to piss you off. Just didnt feel like writing it all up since I read about this problem on this very board.Ill spend 10 minutes writing it so we can buddies again!

The safety on the 870 is made to be disaegngaed with the shooter right thumb. Well If your left handed the guns safety is backwards and you cannot see the Little red area on the safety showing your ready for fire.
To view the safety from a lefty propspective You have to dismount from the shooting posistion,Take one hand off the gun, hold the shotgun (butt directly towards the ground), and then rotate the gun to see if it on safe or not.

Very impractical if your hunting or getting ready to shoot a target.

Trust me its a pain. If your right hadned right eye dominant you wont have a problem.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I've just never looked at the safety when shooting; with a small amount of practice one can easily learn which way is which for safe/off safe. As I shoulder the shotgun my left middle finger disengages the safety.

So I can see what you're saying about it being a pain to "see" the safety, but I don't see how it would slow a shooter down. If it really were an issue, however, Brownell's has lefty safeties for the 870 at a reasonable price.

Glad we got that worked out and can be friends again- but if you think we're gonna kiss in the hallway after class you got another thing comin'!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:50:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 10:20:59 PM EDT by goodoleboy]
When duck hunting I liek to keep the safety ON until after I shoulder the gun. My buddy who is right handed right eye dominate missed a shoot at a few birds cause he could not see the safety and he was holding like 95% of America does.
I notice on my AR i dont look at the safety to often cause of its posistion. On the Mossbergs my eye is always on the safety.

We read about peoples Accidental discharges on the gun boards all the time they got lucky if they could right it up on the web.There are plenty more accidental discharges we dont read about from the person handling the gun. Why? Becuase they are either dead or planning a funeral.

Truly I think the safety on mossberg it is much safer.If I have to buy a new mossberg 10 years ealier than a remington becuase the mossberg is less durable. It will be worth it to me if it prevents one accidental discharge.

I think the remingtons action is smoother but I think the mossberg is pretty smooth also. The other finish work between the two is comrpable though.

Sorry for the mis-understanding though Happy new year!
Top Top