Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/26/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT
I TRIED TO CONTACT BENELLI BUT NO WORD SO FAR.. ANYONE KNOW IF IT'S ALRIGHT TO FIRE SLUGS OUT OF MY M4 WITH THE STOCK CHOKE TUBE IN IT..?? SHOULD I HUNT FOR A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE TO GET MORE ACCURACY..?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:28:32 PM EDT
what choke is in it. i used improved cylinder and never had a problem
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:41:12 PM EDT
use an open choke for slugs, imp. cyl. or cyl.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:49:14 AM EDT
The standard choke in the M4 is an IC, which is slug, lead shot, and steel shot compatible.

I am able to get 2" to 6" groups at 75 yards using Federal Tactical (reduced recoil) rifled slugs with the IC choke, depending on my sighting method (EOTech or Ghost-ring) and how I'm feeling that day.

*Do Not* fire the shotgun without the choke installed - you'll ruin the threads in the barrel.

You can verify the choke type by removal of the choke using the supplied tool:

Notches (muzzle end of choke) or Marks (exterior wall of choke tube), increasing order of restriction:

5 = Cylinder (open)
4 = Improved cylinder
3 = Modified
2 = Improved modified
1 = Full

The first two (5,4) chokes are rifled slug compatible, the first three (5,4,3) are steel shot compatible

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:24:53 PM EDT
Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:12:49 AM EDT
I should also have added... a restrictive choke (i.e. anything other than a cylinder, or "C") has no significant beneficial effect on patterns produced by anything larger than and including #1 buck. This is especially true at defensive ranges. Chokes more restrictive than improved cylinder/IC cause lead fouling or worse, and potential accuracy problems with slugs.

The only reason to use a rifled choke is for sabot-style slugs, which are not generally useful for defensive situations.

The IC choke supplied in M4 barrels is a good compromise for defensive use - it won't create problems when used with buckshot or slugs, and it can still be used with benefit for smaller shot sizes to improve the pattern.
Top Top