Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:46 PM EDT
I have a Smith and Wesson 1000 12 gauge semi and the shotgun will not cycle a second round. Ive heard of others having this problem, does anyone know a solution? Also will firing 2 3/4 rounds have this effect if the gun is chambered for 3'' shells
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not "up" on the Model 1000, there were, as I recall two reasons for failure to operate.
One was a dirty gun and/or gas system and port.

The second was something about the gas system having some "O" rings that wore out and had to be replaced.

Gun Parts Corporation bought all the S&W Model 1000 parts, and after Mossberg sold the gun for two years and then discontinued it too, they also bought all of Mossberg's parts.

www.e-gunparts.com

The gun should work with 2 3/4" shells or 3".
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The gun is very clean but the site you gave is great. I geuss Ill be doing some "shotgun" trouble shooting and replace parts till it works
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I just went all through this with mine.
What are the symptoms? Does it load the next round?  Does it reset the hammer? (different problems/different symptoms)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The gun is very clean, and I am shooting light loads 2 3/4 shells. The hammer if I recall is reseting but the next shell is not ejecting. IS there a certain bbl needed to shoot slug rounds or will any barrel work? The gun is mostly used for skeet and trap and on occasion pheasent... so hopefully it doesnt need slug rounds to cycle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Smith and Wesson 1000 3" mag will not cycle correctly with standard 2 3/4 loads, much less light target loads. You can get away with very stout 2 2/4" mag type loads, but thats about it (read it's a 3" mag gun before the time that the mag shotguns could run both 2-3/4" and 3").  

Looks like it time to stock up on some value cased lot shells in 3" mag for the shotgun.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
No, Stucky,
any barrel should work with any load (barring choke considerations). Once you take off the fore-arm, the first thingy in the gas tube is the regulator, it should compensate for light/heavy loads.
Ok, let me get this straight-the first round shoots, the empty hull ejects, and the next (full) shell hangs up in the reciever?

If that's what you're looking at, i would examine the tube magazine spring.  I had to get a new one 'cuz the one that came with it was all bolloxed up.

I love my 1000 and did a lot of work on it make it operate correctly.
I stand by to offer any help, in any way, i can.
Sincerely,
Rogerball.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The first round shoots, resets the hammer, and leaves the first round in the chamber. Sometimes it doesnt reset the hammer? Its a great shotgun just wish it would work right. I appreciate the help Ive heard multiple people with this problem not only with the 12 but also the 20.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been cogitating on your problem.  I have been examining the mechanism and scratching my head.
It sounds like an extraction/ejection problem. I think you should start small.
Try this.
With the bolt locked to the rear drop one shell in the chamber.  Push the button to close the action. Fire.
Did the empty eject?  Did the bolt lock back? Its kind of like adjusting the gas pressure on an FAL.

try the same process with some different loadings.  Record the results.
This, I think, will give a good starting place for analysis.

RB out
(and please report back, I'm diing to know what's going on )
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
RB
I have to work this weekend hopefully Ill have a chance to get out and do some shooting with the shotgun and the other new toys. Ill keep you posted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top