Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 9:34:27 PM EDT
Im just wondering if there are any parts in the trigger group,bolt etc etc that can be polished or some how worked to allow me to smooth out the action a little more than what it is.
does anyone have any pics or any kind of walk thru perhaps?
Also Im thinking about ditching the stock trigger group and dropping in a police unit but swapping out the police sear spring with the express sear spring..this should be pretty straight forward no?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Also Im thinking about ditching the stock trigger group and dropping in a police unit but swapping out the police sear spring with the express sear spring..this should be pretty straight forward no?

There is really a police unit??
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is really a police unit??

yes midway carries them for like $89
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it!

Not trying to be a smart ass
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shoot it!

Not trying to be a smart asshr

this I know however Im trying to figure out if there is anything else I can do to "help" it along...sadly my schedule doesnt allow me to take trips to the range as often as i used to.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Visable-assassin,  Where are you at in TX.

I'm in Dallas for the next couple of weeks and if you have the right tools/in the same town, I can come by and  give the shotgun a once over this weekend (read bored and if it doesn't warm up, won't be golfing).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Polish the action arms and some lubrication, and well, just shoot the thing.  things should loosen up eventually.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly take the money you will spend on all that swapping, and go buy 200 rds of skeet ammo, go to back woods traps, and shoot it all on four rounds of skeet. The action will be smooth as butter, and youll be a better bird hunter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Visable-assassin,  Where are you at in TX.

I'm in Dallas for the next couple of weeks and if you have the right tools/in the same town, I can come by and  give the shotgun a once over this weekend (read bored and if it doesn't warm up, won't be golfing).

I'm in El Paso dude.
Well chances are I've got the right tools I just need to know which parts I can mess with without risking any kind damage to the weapon or possibly  shortening its lifespan
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have polished the internals of two 870s. It is reasonably easy to do.

The areas I concentrated on were-
- The action bars- The top, bottom and outside where they contact the receiver. The left rear action bar where it contacts the action bar release. And also the shell stop camming surfaces.
- The locking slide- The outside edges that contact the receiver and the bottom face that rides over the hammer.
- Trigger group- The hammer face and the action bar release.

I used a fine diamond stone to remove burrs and then polished the parts on a cotton buffing wheel using wax.

It worked really well. The guns are ultra smooth now.

Be careful not to take too much metal away from areas like the action bar release as the gun can become unsafe.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have polished the internals of two 870s. It is reasonably easy to do.

The areas I concentrated on were-
- The action bars- The top, bottom and outside where they contact the receiver. The left rear action bar where it contacts the action bar release. And also the shell stop camming surfaces.
- The locking slide- The outside edges that contact the receiver and the bottom face that rides over the hammer.
- Trigger group- The hammer face and the action bar release.

I used a fine diamond stone to remove burrs and then polished the parts on a cotton buffing wheel using wax.

It worked really well. The guns are ultra smooth now.

Be careful not to take too much metal away from areas like the action bar release as the gun can become unsafe.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

thank you man :)
I was looking at using jewelers files and jewelers rouge on a Dremal at slow speed where I can...and then cleaning it up fully.

I was figuring that the release would be a place of concern so Ill be double careful there
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Honestly take the money you will spend on all that swapping, and go buy 200 rds of skeet ammo, go to back woods traps, and shoot it all on four rounds of skeet. The action will be smooth as butter, and youll be a better bird hunter.

200 rounds doesnt do squat.  I have a few thousand thru mine - and while it is smoother than it was when new - it aint even close to my Mossy 500A right out of the box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top