Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2005 11:43:33 AM EDT
I purchased a NIB Benelli M1 Super90 over a year ago. It came with the full pistol grip stick and an extended mag tube. Subsequently, I heard that was not a legal configuration so I took the extension off. Lately I have been seeing a lot of pictures posted with the pistol grip and extended tube.

Anyone have the straight scoop? Can an M1 Super90 have both?

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
from what I was told, what ever is floating around is pretty much grandfathered in(thats from benelli)....I see pics of M1s with mag extensions  ALL DAY LONG even for sale in gun shops and on the comp....but ATF has recently told benelli to cease selling the mag extensions....Benelli says there working on it now and hopefully it will all be settled soon so they can sell again, but as of right now.....what ever is out there floating around is it....I was just at a recent gunshow and saw a dealer selling an 8 shot mag extension for an M1 he wanted $150 (i had seen normally selling for anywhere from $65 to $80)   prices on all mag extensions are definately starting to skyrocket becouse as of right now....what ever is out there is it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Put 'em on at your own risk, as these shotguns are imported and subject to 922(r)...
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The point is, it came NIB with one on it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
like I said what ever is out there is out there....benelli wont be selling anymore
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Put 'em on at your own risk, as these shotguns are imported and subject to 922(r)...

In wading through the posts on various boards about ATF's crackdown on Benelli, I don't recall hearing the answer to this, but how are Winchester / FN continuing to import and sell the Super X2 Practical / Self loading Police ?  These would have to fall under the same ruling that is blocking Benelli, yet I see them for sale in most every gunshop here in CA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The Benelli M1S90 doesn't have a collapsible stock and the 5 round ban went away with the assault weapons ban.  I thought you could own the new M4 without a collapsible stock but still have the high capacity tube.

The assault weapons ban prohibitted manufacturers from producing shotguns with more than one of the following features:

Folding/telescoping stock
Protruding pistol grip
Detachable magazine capacity
Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

Explain to me the limitation place on a tube fed shotgun with no collapsible stock by the 922(r).

I was under the impression an extended mag tube was fine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Benelli M1S90 doesn't have a collapsible stock and the 5 round ban went away with the assault weapons ban.  I thought you could own the new M4 without a collapsible stock but still have the high capacity tube.

The assault weapons ban prohibitted manufacturers from producing shotguns with more than one of the following features:

Folding/telescoping stock
Protruding pistol grip
Detachable magazine capacity
Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

Explain to me the limitation place on a tube fed shotgun with no collapsible stock by the 922(r).

I was under the impression an extended mag tube was fine.

That was my impression also (M1S90 has a solid stock)so the mag tube was OK.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
no becouse the M4 and M1 are made and shipped from overseas they can not be configured with collapsing stock or mag extension...becouse it didnt come into the US like that......that is why benelli has put a stop on the stocks and mag extensions.....arent the FN/winchesters made here in the US?  and I think that using US made parts has something to do with it as well....as of now I dont know anyone here in US that makes aftermarket parts for Benellis.....I dont presume to know all the answers and trust me guys I think these rules are bullshit(I cant have a collapsing stock or 8 shots on my benelli, but I can grab my folding AK and a 75 round drum....STUPID) all I know is what the benelli rep told me and thats the parts are on hold.......and from what I saw at the gun show   what ever mag extensions are out are only going up in price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no becouse the M4 and M1 are made and shipped from overseas they can not be configured with collapsing stock or mag extension...becouse it didnt come into the US like that......that is why benelli has put a stop on the stocks and mag extensions.....arent the FN/winchesters made here in the US?  and I think that using US made parts has something to do with it as well....as of now I dont know anyone here in US that makes aftermarket parts for Benellis.....I dont presume to know all the answers and trust me guys I think these rules are bullshit(I cant have a collapsing stock or 8 shots on my benelli, but I can grab my folding AK and a 75 round drum....STUPID) all I know is what the benelli rep told me and thats the parts are on hold.......and from what I saw at the gun show   what ever mag extensions are out are only going up in price.

You may have missed this point. I purchased mine New In Box, with the PISTOL GRIP AND THE MAG EXTENSION. There are plenty of people who have seen the same in other guns stores. This is the confusing part. It came like that (note: full not collapseable stock).

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.....arent the FN/winchesters made here in the US?

Direct from the 'fine print' section in the back of the Winchester 2005 catalog, "Super X2 and Select shotguns are manufactured in Belgium and assembled in Portugal."  I think the FNs are even marked made in Belgium.  

Since both the FN and X2 practical have one piece extended magazine tubes, it would seem to be pretty clear these are imported in this configuration, one which we think violates 922r and which we think is the reason Benelli was stopped.  And yet FNs and X2 Practicals continue to be openly sold while Benelli cannot sell extensions or even import their pratical model.  

It seems strange to enforce this rule only against Benelli, unless there is some other issue between Benelli and the feds we don't know about (hmmm Uncle Sam isn't trying to negotiate a new contract on M1014s are they??).  So has anyone heard of Winchester or FN shotguns coming under scrutiny as has Benelli?      
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
bump
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone else got an update on this ??

I would assume anything imported before the AWB is grandfathered BUT anything imported
post '94 that's a semi-auto shotgun can't have more than 5rds & a pistol grip stock

So wouldn't a new gun with more than five rounds & a straight stock be fine ??  

Just like the post '94 AWB shotguns OR is this some kind of new '922r interpretation related
to the "sporting purpose" clause ???

A pistol grip & 5rds is obviously fine because that's what their selling new now (M2's)

(I've been using SEARCH & not much is coming up, this & one locked thread)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Tom Knapp also has US made extensions for sale...check his online store...

tp-commerce.techpro.com/tomknapp/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=34&cat=Benelli+Parts+%26+Acc%27s

I think the extensions Tom Knapp is selling are made by SRM Products. The product photo shown on Tom Knapp's website is the same one shown for the surecycle extensions. The surecycle extensions also come in a 6-shot extension for a total of 10 rounds. The kits include everything you need to attach to your shotgun. I have a 6-shot extension on the way for my 28" SBE.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#16]
My M4 came with the so called collapsable stock as well.  So much for that theory.

BTW, the ban is on assembly, not posession.  By taking it off, you've made it so you can't put it back on.  Unless they can prove you assembled it into a banned configuration, it is legal to own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top