Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2004 3:42:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike103]
What will happen if buckshot is fired through a fully rifled shotgun barrel?? Like the remmy 870 deer gun??  
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Not good for it, but I never had a problem with it on my sluger
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: faris] [#2]
First, the barrel will lead up badly.

Second, the shot is "swirled" around as it moves down the barrel, and when it exits, it tends to spread out in a circular pattern with a large hole in the middle.

In other words, instead of having a round pattern with shot scattered throughout it, you often have a "donut" circle with no shot at all in the middle.

Rifled shotgun barrels are "purpose" built, specifically intended for shooting sabot slugs and nothing else.
If you shoot standard slugs or shot in it, it isn't going to blow up, but it isn't intended for standard shotgun projectiles, won't work very well with them, and will lead up BADLY.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I forgot to mention the lead up badly part
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
One of these days someone oughta tack something up about this subject - after all, it only comes up every couple of weeks, right???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, for my next request - how about a stack of $50s a couple of inches thick??? HAHAhahaha!!!

Good job, Mod...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
So what do I use for a gun that needs to shoot slugs and buckshot?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
A smoothbore slug barrel, shooting rifled slugs or buckshot....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
For my Rem 11-78 I use a rifle sight smooth bore with choke tubes. It will shoot a good pattern at 40 yards with turkey loads and turkey tube. Change to improved cylinder tube and puts a rifle slug in the bulls eye at 50 yards with no sight change. I have also used it for buck shot with the turkey tube.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By faris:

Rifled shotgun barrels are "purpose" built, specifically intended for shooting sabot slugs and nothing else.
If you shoot standard slugs or shot in it, it isn't going to blow up, but it isn't intended for standard shotgun projectiles, won't work very well with them, and will lead up BADLY.

I concur that shooting any buckshot or birdshot load in a rifled barrel creates horrible patterns.

However, standard forster and brenneke rifled slugs do quite well in rifled barrels, rifled tubes or standard smooth barrels.
I shoot forster slugs,both handloaded and factory,though my Mossberg 500 rifled barrel. They're not usually as accurate as the sabot slugs,but they get the job done and are reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I would never shot anything but sabot's out of my winchester rifled slug gun. I can get 3" GROUPS AT 100YARDS WITH A 2X7 Nikon scoop shoting sabots. In my smoothbore I shot rifled slugs there good for plate size groups out to alitte over 50 yards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure why the rifled barrel would "lead up". The pellets should never actually touch the rifling, thats what the pellet cup is for. Unless the cup gets torn apart by the rifling or something, which would also destroy the pattern. I never tried it, but I'm skeptical about the leading up statement, as the cup contains the pellets until it exits the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The pellet cup spins and the shot expands rapidly, you'll get awefull patterns.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
As the pellet cup contacts the rifling on it's way down the barrel, it startes to fail.  Then the lead comes in contact with the rifling leaving little pieces behind.  What's happening in the barrel is pretty violent stuff.  Your basically taking shrapnel form an explosion containing it and then redirecting it down a narrow corridore.  Woe to he who stands at the end of the corridore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok since no one is gonna say it...I will!  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT BIRDSHOT OUT OF A DEER[SLUG] BARREL?  Let me repeat that last part....Deer SLUG Barrel...not Deer birdshot but slug barrel!  

I gotta sit and ask myself... "does a person that would think about trying to shoot birdshot out of a deer slug barrel really need to be in posession of a firearm?"   Geez!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By mjacvn71:
Ok since no one is gonna say it...I will!  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT BIRDSHOT OUT OF A DEER[SLUG] BARREL?  Let me repeat that last part....Deer SLUG Barrel...not Deer birdshot but slug barrel!  

I gotta sit and ask myself... "does a person that would think about trying to shoot birdshot out of a deer slug barrel really need to be in posession of a firearm?"   Geez!

Perhaps he was not considering it as much as just wondering what if.  Then soliciting opinions here.  Have you not ever wondered what if?  Kind of like Mythbusters?  Or perhaps contingency planning.  "What if all I had was?"  If he asks and gets the answers, he is better prepared than you.

Question does not = intent.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I hate to post in a sticky...  I have patterned buckshot extensively (I am not a professional) and come to the conclusion that a rifled barrel fires comparable patterns to a same-length smoothbore with several brands of ammo (we tried Remington, Fiocci, S&B, and Federal).  Such a question might arise if you wanted only one barrel that was "all purpose".  To me, the accuracy benefit of the rifled slug barrel outwieghs the minimal patterning loss for buckshot.  Again, no science here - just a guy who loves to fire shotguns and has done so with glee for many years.  Go ahead, ask me about my 200 yard slug gun
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 10:56:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: danno-in-michigan] [#17]

Originally Posted By KCMojo:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By mjacvn71:

<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Perhaps he was not considering it as much as just wondering what if.  Then soliciting opinions here.  Have you not ever wondered what if?  Kind of like Mythbusters?  Or perhaps contingency planning.  "What if all I had was?"  If he asks and gets the answers, he is better prepared than you.

I don't consider myself an idiot and I've thought of shooting buckshot out of my rifled barrel.  My 20" 870 slug barrel has a cantilevered scope mount with a red dot sight and makes my standard 870 look like a pretty good close quarters weapon.  Never done it though.  Might have to try it now.  

Edited to add:  OK, I broke out the calculator.  Here's what I come up with (someone check my math please):
The twist of most 12 ga. slug guns is 1/34".  00 buck comes out at about 1200 fps, so the shot cup is revolving at approximately 424 revolutions/second.  
The diameter of a 12 ga barrel is .729", so the radius is .3645".  A OO pellet is .33 inches in diameter or .165" in radius.  Therefore, the center of a OO pellet that is pressed against the side of the barrel is (.3645" - .165"=.1995") from the centerline of the bore.
Therefore, the radial velocity of the outermost OO pellets is:  (424 rev/sec)*(.1995")*2pi = 531 inches per second or 44.3 feet per second.
If I shoot a target that is 50 feet away, the pellets will get there in about .0417 seconds.  In that time, the radial velocity of the outermost pellet will have caused it to travel (.0417 sec)*(44.3 ft/sec) = 1.845 feet.  
To summarize, at 50 feet, the outermost pellets in the shot cup will have spread out 1.845 feet up, down, left, and right due only to the radial velocity caused by the rotation imparted by the rifling (i.e., ignoring other factors that cause the shot pattern to spread).  That means you can expect a pattern of at least 3.7 feet in diameter at 50 feet.  I think a normal pattern at this distance would be about 18".  Maybe it's not such a good idea after all.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Ok since no one is gonna say it...I will! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT BIRDSHOT OUT OF A DEER[SLUG] BARREL? Let me repeat that last part....Deer SLUG Barrel...not Deer birdshot but slug barrel!

I gotta sit and ask myself... "does a person that would think about trying to shoot birdshot out of a deer slug barrel really need to be in posession of a firearm?" Geez!

First thing, he said BUCK shot, not bird shot. I was wanting to know the same thing.
I really dont want to spend $100 for an 18" CQ barrel for my 870 when I have a 20" rifled slug barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have a rifled barrel and a large bed sheet? Could do a "Sheet O' Truth" with O_P's permission of course.
Link Posted: 8/4/2006 10:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TwistedMonkey] [#20]
hmmmm it's your barrel and your money....have at it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 5:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: niwot] [#21]
opps
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

Originally Posted By KCMojo:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By mjacvn71:

<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

I don't consider myself an idiot and I've thought of shooting buckshot out of my rifled barrel.  My 20" 870 slug barrel has a cantilevered scope mount with a red dot sight and makes my standard 870 look like a pretty good close quarters weapon.  Never done it though.  Might have to try it now.  

Edited to add:  OK, I broke out the calculator.  Here's what I come up with (someone check my math please):
The twist of most 12 ga. slug guns is 1/34".  00 buck comes out at about 1200 fps, so the shot cup is revolving at approximately 424 revolutions/second.  
The diameter of a 12 ga barrel is .729", so the radius is .3645".  A OO pellet is .33 inches in diameter or .165" in radius.  Therefore, the center of a OO pellet that is pressed against the side of the barrel is (.3645" - .165"=.1995") from the centerline of the bore.
Therefore, the radial velocity of the outermost OO pellets is:  (424 rev/sec)*(.1995")*2pi = 531 inches per second or 44.3 feet per second.
If I shoot a target that is 50 feet away, the pellets will get there in about .0417 seconds.  In that time, the radial velocity of the outermost pellet will have caused it to travel (.0417 sec)*(44.3 ft/sec) = 1.845 feet.  
To summarize, at 50 feet, the outermost pellets in the shot cup will have spread out 1.845 feet up, down, left, and right due only to the radial velocity caused by the rotation imparted by the rifling (i.e., ignoring other factors that cause the shot pattern to spread).  That means you can expect a pattern of at least 3.7 feet in diameter at 50 feet.  I think a normal pattern at this distance would be about 18".  Maybe it's not such a good idea after all.  

i love this logic. seriously. i dont know the formulas to find this information and i have never shot buckshot out of a rifled barrel but i can easily understand why spinning a shotcup full of BBs will make them spread when they leave the confines of the barrell and shotcup. thank you for the math.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
As the pellet cup contacts the rifling on it's way down the barrel, it startes to fail.  Then the lead comes in contact with the rifling leaving little pieces behind.  

Is the lead build up worse or better than the lead build up from shooting full bore slugs?
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
As the pellet cup contacts the rifling on it's way down the barrel, it startes to fail.  Then the lead comes in contact with the rifling leaving little pieces behind.  

Is the lead build up worse or better than the lead build up from shooting full bore slugs?

I don't know but when I bought my Hastings barrel I e-mailed the company and asked if I could use buckshot in it.  Here's the response

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:14:04 -0600
To: "[danno's spam e-mail account]
Subject: Re: Can I use buckshot in a rifled barrel?

At 10:35 AM 01/14/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>
>I just purchased one of your paradox rifled barrels with cantiliver
scope
mount for my Remington 870.  Although I plan on shooting saboted slugs,
I was wondering whether I could safely shoot buckshot also.  (For
example, if I ran out of ammunition and had to borrow a few rounds from a buddy.).

>
>Thanks.  
>
> Dan:  Yes, you can safely shoot buckshot through your rifled barrel;
however, I would expect a very poor pattern since the rifling will
probably put "spin" on the wad/shot charge resulting in flyers and a blown
pattern.
If you will provide your complete mailing address, I will be happy to
send our catalog.
Thanks for the inquiry!

Buzz
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a remington 870 rifle-sighted 20" smoothbore barrel, anyone want to trade?

I try to get rid of it about every six months.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
I've got a remington 870 rifle-sighted 20" smoothbore barrel, anyone want to trade?

I sold one on the EE for 85 bucks recently. There's a market for them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll try again. I posted that I was looking for an even-up trade for a used 18" riot barrel and had zero takers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I am making my Remington 870 into a home defense weapon.  I just ordered the   Pachmayr Vindicator Pistol Grip and Forend set and I plan on using the 20" Deer Barrel w/ Rifle Sights with Improved  Cyl.
Since it's a smooth bore it should be fine to shoot slugs and/or  00 buck with no problems correct?
Joe

Link Posted: 2/11/2008 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I only own one shotgun.  It was bought as a deer gun and has a rifled slug barrel.  Now I'm considering using it in a Three Gun match where some bird shot is used.  That would be one of several reasons a troop might wonder about birdshot in slug barrels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a set of the Trijicon tritium replacements for the slug sights. It's given new life to the barrel for me. Y'all might want to try it, Brownell's had 'em pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:

I was looking for one for my 870 Express for informal 3-gun matches.  What are looking to trade or price + shipping?

Czar
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Allerian:
As much as I hate to post in a sticky...  I have patterned buckshot extensively (I am not a professional) and come to the conclusion that a rifled barrel fires comparable patterns to a same-length smoothbore with several brands of ammo (we tried Remington, Fiocci, S&B, and Federal).  Such a question might arise if you wanted only one barrel that was "all purpose".  To me, the accuracy benefit of the rifled slug barrel outwieghs the minimal patterning loss for buckshot.  Again, no science here - just a guy who loves to fire shotguns and has done so with glee for many years.  Go ahead, ask me about my 200 yard slug gun

Besides you, looks like all the experts who say don't do it for either lack of accuracy or lethal leading of the barrel are failing to state they have actually patterned a shot through there slug barrel.

Two years and no one has patterned a shot yet besides Allerian?
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Assuming one just wants to use it for home defense, which is what, maybe 25-feet max distance, I bet it would still do the job.

I just today bought a rifled barrel for my 870 and installed it.  I too had the thought about the pattern opening up as soon as it left the barrel.  Maybe I should just use slugs!

If I get a chance I will try to pattern it and report back to all.  Birdshot, slugs, and buckshot when I have a chance to.

Pav
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]
So which makes for a more accurate slug shot? A rifled slug barrel, or a smooth bore with a rifled slug?

If I have a tactical 870 with one of the smooth bore barrels on it, could I get away with hunting deer effectively (with a slug) without the need for a rifled barrel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FastSS:
Yeah, I forgot to mention the lead up badly part

How can it lead up when the shot is in the wad cup?

Link Posted: 1/11/2009 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, not to throw a wrench into something that seems to going well.   But... here is is...

WHAT IF...  I fired Federal 00 buck with the flitecontrol wad out of a 20 inch rifled slug barrel.  Do you guys think that will keep a tighter pattern?  These are the LE127 00 rounds, and I bought up about 70 of them in Tucson last time I was up there.  

One more question.  Does anyone know of a marine/nickel plated replacement barrel for an 870?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Davey556:
Ok, not to throw a wrench into something that seems to going well.   But... here is is...

WHAT IF...  I fired Federal 00 buck with the flitecontrol wad out of a 20 inch rifled slug barrel.  Do you guys think that will keep a tighter pattern?  These are the LE127 00 rounds, and I bought up about 70 of them in Tucson last time I was up there.  

One more question.  Does anyone know of a marine/nickel plated replacement barrel for an 870?

According to one poster on this thread, the rifling starts to break up the wad, which exposes it to the rifling.  Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Davey556:

No the wad will keep the  buck shot together and start its spin as soon as it is fired, as the wad and shot leaves the barrel the wad will open and be left behind and the buck shot will continue to spin and spread out  due to centrifugal force . More open patterns not tighter. At very close range  you can shoot it and at moderate ranges pattern will be way opened up.

Can't help ypou on the BBL , I'd bet you will need to call Remington on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By adrock1978:
So which makes for a more accurate slug shot? A rifled slug barrel, or a smooth bore with a rifled slug?

If I have a tactical 870 with one of the smooth bore barrels on it, could I get away with hunting deer effectively (with a slug) without the need for a rifled barrel?

i have a smooth bore 870 slug barrel, its good with cheapo remington walmart slugs past 125, and will shoot whatever shot, buck, bird i put through it. you really can t go too wrong with a smooth bore slug barrel, and if youre really lucky you can find one that likes cheap slugs. a buddy has a rifled barrrel that chokes on anything that isnt brenneke. that gets expensive. as far as 200 yards goes, i wouldnt know, never tried.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 1:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old_Painless] [#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
so it is safe to shoot buckshot/birdshot from a smoothbore slug barrel i assume?
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#43]
right, but there is no real difference between the slugged smoothbore vs. an open cylinder with no choke, right?

just a shorter barrel?

sorry for the questions!
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#45]
right, i know no choke is needed for slugs.

rather, there is no diff between unmodified regular non-slug barrel and a smoothbore slug barrel?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
We have 870's with 14" barrels with rifled chokes and red dots. They will cloverleaf sabot slugs at 25 yards, and pattern buckshot Horribly at 15 yards. I don't know if that has more to do with the 14" barrel or the rifle choke.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#47]
What if you shot slugs of a shotgun with the MD choke in it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Muerte:

Modified?

With foster style (Rifled) slugs, you will be fine.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Hendricks5150:

Originally Posted By Muerte:

Modified?

With foster style (Rifled) slugs, you will be fine.

I was told that you couldnt and also told that you could?
I dont know who to believe, This is my first shothgun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top