Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2003 2:24:41 PM EDT
i plan on converting my 1187 to a 3gun config, but i hear some people have problems with them. i was wondering what problems there can be and what is the best way to avoid them.

im just gonna do a few things, like put on a extended mag tube and a new loading gate (that by a gunsmith)
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:26:11 PM EDT
The basic action jobs of an 1187 are to first pull the barrel and polish the mag tube outer surface. The plating on the mag tube is rough, and once fouled, can cause the action/seal rings to bind.

Next is to polish the inside of the mag tube, and throw away the plastic follower. The plastic follower cup base can flare and get caught on even the smallest of burs/dirt/fouling, and cause feeding problems.

On the barrel hood bolt catch, and the locking section of the bolt, clean the contact edges. Any burs at these locations can cause the bolt to stick on lockup and release.

The last trick is to tailor the gas system to the shell that you are firing. The stock expanding gas ring system works great for light loads, but on full loads, the outer ring tends to seal up the port hood/mag tube too tight, and can cause jamming, or crack the hood (see this a few times). The simple solution is to change out the chrome-plated unit to the old style blued 1100 seal rings. These allow more pressure to blow by, yet still cycle the action. If the shotgun feels like it kicking too much, then chances are the bolt is moving back too fast/soon, and the old style rings will solve the problem.

You have already planned on changing out the safety button and feed lips so I will not cover the conversion. But on a new rifle, pull the FCG apart and clean up the parts. They have burs that can cause you problems as the FCG fouls out.

Now the last thing, if you plan on reloading, do not use Green dot or Red dot. The flakes do not burn and end up clustering the action of the rifle. You will find that Clays powder burn a lot cleaner, and leaves nothing solid in the action of the shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:29:05 PM EDT
I found that the gas ports in my 11/87 Police were not large enough to cycle light loads. The skeet barrel has much larger ports and a 2 3/4" chamber. I don't think the 11/87 can be made to function with heavy 3" loads and light 2 3/4" loads with the same barrel. Your best bet is two barrels.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2003 8:46:15 PM EDT by Bob_Mundon]
im just gonna be using 2 3/4" loads for the most part, dont forsee any use of 3 inchers for the time being.

but by putting on a extended magtube and a enlarged loading gate (that is installed properly) i shouldnt have any problems right. also plan on a 3gungear side saddle but i doubt thats gonna effect anything much
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:36:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
I found that the gas ports in my 11/87 Police were not large enough to cycle light loads. The skeet barrel has much larger ports and a 2 3/4" chamber. I don't think the 11/87 can be made to function with heavy 3" loads and light 2 3/4" loads with the same barrel. Your best bet is two barrels.

Yes it can, use large ports (increase the port size) and use the standard 1100 gas seal rings for heavy loads, the swap out the gas seal rings to the 1187 chromed rings for the light loads.

Unlike other shotguns that use spacers/springs to set the action for different loads, the options for the 1187 is to swap between the two different types of gas seal rings that will work in the rifle.

FYI: The 1187 chrome seal rings has the outer ring that snaps over the inner ring. On the 1100 seal rings, the upper ring stacks on top of the lower ring.
Instead of the port pressure pushing down and expanding the outer ring on the 1187 design, the 1100 top ring pushes down on the lower ring, and the lower ring is expanded, and allows more gas to blow by the rings, and less binding on the barrel gas collar.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:45:40 AM EDT
I don't remember seeing the chrome rings you talk about on my 11/87 Police built in October 1994. The rings as I remember, looked just like those out of my 1100.

Did they make a change at some point?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:54:13 PM EDT
One of the upgrades from the 1100 to the 1187 model was to plate the mag tube to prevent rust, and changed the designs on the gas rings to seal better.

Do you remember is the mag tube was plated?

Also, I just did a search on gas rings and just noticed that they now offer a third type of ring. Bob, you may want to get your hands on all three type of rings. This will allow you to change out the rings to fire just about any type of load threw the shotgun.

My guess is that the old two stack rings will allow the most blow by, then the single ring listed below, then the two overlapping rings for really light loads.

"Universal Load" Gas Seal Rings For Remington 1100 / 11-87 Auto Shotguns
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:49:15 PM EDT
The mag tube was not plated. It was parkerized like the rest of the shotgun. The plating must have come about later. I know when the gun was made bacause I called Remington hoping it was a pre-ban so I could keep the extended mag and add a Speedfeed pistol grip stock. It was built in October of 94, missing the ban by a couple of weeks.
Top Top