Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 6:47:52 AM EDT
I have an 870 with a barrel marked 2-3/4". Can I buy a barrel rated for 2-3/4" and 3" and put it on this receiver, or do I have to get a another shotgun for 3"?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You can put a 3" barrel on a 2-3/4" receiver, but you can only shoot 2-3/4" shells.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There is one exception to this. Remington sells a "Steel Shot" barrel that when used on a 2 3/4" receiver allows you to shoot 3" steel shot only, no lead. Go to their web site, it's on the barrel page. MIKE.

Edited: I just gave bad information, the Steel Shot barrel is for the 1100 only not the 870. Sorry, MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you put a 3" chambered barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver, you can fire 3" shells, but the gun won't eject them.

A 2 3/4" receiver can be converted by simply replacing the ejector assembly with a 3" Magnum ejector.

This is a gunsmith-only job, since it requires special tooling to re-rivet the new ejector.

Most better gunsmiths can do this for a reasonable fee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top