Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 6:59:25 PM EDT
Anyone know about how much it might cost to convert a cheap Mossberg 500 to a decent home defense gun?  Also can the factory 5 shot mag be replaced without getting a new gun?  I just don't turkey hunt much anymore and I hate to see it go to waste.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I wondered the same thing...I believe the best you can do is get a folding stock or pistol grip which will make it more manuverable in your home and possible a sidesaddle to carry spare ammo.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The Mossy is a good choice.

Figure about $80 for a stock. I have a choate pistol grip, but I would suggest a traditional Speed feed. A pistol grip with a tang mounted safety is not intuitive.

A side saddle should set you back about $40.

I would strongly suggest a Surefire fore end light. This one is spendy tho. I will cost you as much as the shotgun. About $250.

I gave up the side saddle for the cantilever scope mopunt.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the ideas.  What barrel length and maker would you recommend?  Also can the mag tube be replaced with a larger capacity or is the standard five a good amount?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally speaking, if you can't solve the home defense situation with 5 rnds of buckshot or slugs you're probably SOL anyways....either you've pissed off the local gangbangers, are a bad shot or dealing with mutants & or zombies.  

Seriously, the only way to increase the capacity of the standard Mossberg 500 is to buy the 20" 8 shot barrel & mag tube since the Mossberg 500 barrel takedown screw threads directly into the end of the mag tube.  Occasionally the 20" barrel/long mag tube combo shows up on the various auction sites.  I'd just get a nylon buttstock shellholder or sidesaddle (or both).  5 in the mag & 6 on the sidesaddle + 5 on a buttstock cuff should hold you.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a Mossberg armorer and have a 590 and 500.  The 590 is a duty gun.  For CQB I like the Speedfeed IV which is pistol grip but shorter lengh of pull.  I would also add a side saddle.  For home defense I suggest and use birdshot.  It will do the job and not over penetrate through the walls.  A SF forend and a sidesaddle are nice too.  E-mail me with any questions or for pics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
#1 buck for home defense.  Not birdshot.

www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends what you put in it.  I used the older, cheaper Surefire forearm but you can just attach a good light to it as well.  I also used tritium ghost ring sights but those were a little spendy and required some gunsmithing.  Start with the cheap pistol grip and some kind of light and go from there.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I too followed my good friend's (FedGunner) advice in buying a Mossberg 500A.  My model came with 8 shot capacity (7 in tube + 1 in chamber), pistol grip (no butt stock), heat shield, parkerized finish.  $230.00 after taxes.

I've added:
Side-saddle shell holder $25.00 (on sale)
Butler Creek Side-Folder Stock $75.00 (IIRC, on sale)
Top-mounted rail $12.00

The 500A that I have had a Drilled/Tapped receiver to allow a rail mount.  Some Mossy 500s do not have this, and will require the cantilever scope mount (if you wanted a mount for a red-dot or other scope).

GRAND TOTAL: $342.00 AFTER TAXES

I still have to add:
Tactical Sling
Red Dot Scope

I have 4 ammo carry options for it:
One 25 rd belt of 00 Buckshot (Remington)
One 25 rd belt of Magnum Slugs (Remington)
One 25 rd belt of Federal Multi-purpose (#7 1/2 shot IIRC)
One nice pouch with ALICE clips that holds 24 rds of Federal Tactical/LE Slugs
(only have 15 rds left though)

SHOTGUN CANDY!  YEAH!!!  

One of my favorite firearm investments!

Someday you're still going to have to show me that tactical reload, FedGunner!

I also like how this baby holds 13 + 1 shotgun slugs of those Aguila Mini Shotgun Shells.  Those little buggers are FUN!

Thanks for the advice, FedGunner!  I gotta get you something for Christmas this year too!  Thanks for everything, Buddy!

[>Q]  I miss my shotgun!!!   [>(]  My brother is currently borrowing it (and two of my ammo belts), and driving around in his squad car with it...  He likes it better than their cruiser shotguns and remingtons that are department owned.  (More ammo capacity, smaller package, longer 20" barrel adds decent accuracy)

I plan to get it back from him this winter break...  He's soon going to be buying one for himself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top