Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2003 2:52:57 PM EDT
I have Mossberg 500 persuader and it has problems ejecting some Winchester Super X 6 shot. I've had it happen a couple of times now but after a few cycles of the action I could bring the shell out. However today it wouldn't budge and I ended up using a cleaning rod to pop it out. It came out easily thankfully. Has anyone had similar problems? Guess I will stick to the Remington and Federal loads for now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure your extractor is in good shape. If it is, you had "a failure to extract" Federal tests for this continually. It is normally caused by high pressure, or out of spec cups.

I hate to help the competition, but send them the shell, a letter explaining what happened and the lot number. You will likely get free ammo out of the deal.

Then return it to Wally world and get Federal!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran into the same thing a couple of years ago. I had just tricked out a Ithaca 37 for a friend of mine and went to test fire it. The fired shell would stick in the chamber and if I pulled hard on the forend, the bolt would come to the rear and leave the shell in the chamber.

Here is the normal procedure for when shells stick in the chamber -
1 - Inspect the chamber. Look fot pitts or buildup (rust) that will cause the shell to stick.
2 - Polish the chamber
3 - Check the extractor. Check for engagement and tension.

All the above were fine. Still sticking.

I recut the extractor and replaced the extractor spring with a stronger one. I ran a chambering reamer in the chamber and recut the rim recess.

Still sticking.

I could remove the barrel and remove the fired shell with my fingers.

Here's what was happening - The POS Winchester shells, I think they were Super X - Wal Mart El Cheapo with Silver colored bases rather than Brass, were the problem. When fired, the base was expanding into the extractor cut in the barrel. This was pushing the extractor up and out of engagement so that it wouldn't extract the hull.

This taught me a valuable lesson. If a firearm is giving problems feeding or extracting, try different ammo. That would have saved me 2 days of work and frustration.

It also taught me to stay away from that that cheap Wal-Mart Winchester crap.

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
hahaha yep, same ammo!! will never buy cheap ammo for shotgun again. glad to know it's a 99% chance of it not being be gun now. thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an 870 that I bought in 78, has only jammed once in 25 years.  I shot tons of trap with it first 10 years I had it and I used it in the field almost exclusively for 15 years.

Only jam I ever had was 8 years ago, using that over stuffed POS Winchester ammo, did exactly what you described.  I was out of ammo so I hit a walmart on my way to meet some friends, I guess I bought crap that day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
We have had this discussion before. Walmart sells three kinds of cheap shotshells. Winchester, Federal and Remington. The Winchester sucks, the Ferderal is the best ( I can see Fedgunner's head getting bigger), and the Remington high-vel are good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
so what's a good target ammo for the mossberg 500 20" barrel? I have some Federal Classic 4 buck tatical load for home defense, but what is a good shell to take to the range? Thanks...
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
As stated before both the Federal and Remington from Walmart is good or any other premium shotshells will work fine in a pump. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Likewise not to make my buddy's head bigger, but he was right with the same advice...

I only shoot 3 different types of ammo in my Mossy 500 (as per FedGunners Avice), and have NEVER gone wrong:

Federal Tactical Load Slugs & 00 BUCK (Shotgun Candy )
Federal Multipurpose Walmart 100 Packs (Good, Cheap Practice Ammo)
Remington 3" Magnum Slugs & 00 Buck

I buy the remington when I cannot afford the Federal Tactical Loads.  As FedGunner told me once, "Remington is okay, but not as consistent as Federal" (or something like that).  Sure enough, when I compared the two different brand slugs' accuracy at 50 yards on my family's "range", I found the remington to group almost twice as large as the Federal (shooting prone with sandbags, and bead front sight only).

I suck with a shotgun, as FedGunner can attest, but the Federal Ammo made me look like I've been practicing for a year, and I like that.  When I finally get a red-dot on there, I'm sighting that baby in with Federal Tactical slug loads.

Winchester SUCKS ASS!  I bought a valu-pack of that same crap, and had that same thing happen to me.  I gave it to my cousin for his side-by-side DBBL gun after this happened to me twice.  (and he said he had trouble in his gun with it too)  Federal multipurpose I shoot has the same looking short-aluminum looking shell base, but it works fine!

But I'll stick with shooting the above 3 mentioned types of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a cycling problem with a shotgun once.  It was because the SideSaddle was screwed on too tight and was causing the bolt to bind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I  posted my similar problems with Winchester Super X many moons back, after buying a case of the crap from Sports Authority.  I actually broke off one of the extractor pins on my first time ever fired Mossberg 500 trying to eject the damn shell, and we set my friend's M. 500 aside when his also jammed, useing my cheap ammo.  It will be the last time I buy that french stuff.  The shells in the case I have were aluminum, with a zinc coating.  To salvage 8 boxes, I took a wire brush, sandpaper and an oily rag to ONE SHELL at a time during Yankee games.  I wrote Winchester and they wanted me to send the spent shell and the disabled gun to them.  I said, yeah right and posted my complaint about their inferior product here, and on every gun related website I could find.  Its happened to a few people.  Let me guess- did it happen after 30 0r 40 clays?  Seems to only happen when the gun is warm.  From now on its Remington for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top