http://www.argonautarmament.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
here is the link tell me what you think:

www.argonautarmament.com

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd say lose the AR15 sights and the "bling-bling" gold trigger they'd have a decent looking shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure it's safe to say that that thing weighs even more than the standard 870.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#4]
What is interesting, when you peel off all the extras, the price is good and you can still use a plain barrel with the adapter by itself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
See this thread for a ton of information on this 870 stock adapter:  www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=168809&page=1
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
www.cavalryarms.com/SST-870.html

Check them out.  I saw some at Alan Samuel Arms and they are nice.  I would rather me one of those, since it is damn near identical to an AR-15's egonomics.  The cheekweld makes it awsome for a red dot and turkey hunting at 50 yards with some 3 inch Nitro Mags easy.

Since them goofy looking adapters of argonauts are cast, I don't know how they will hold up long term, especially without hardcoat anodizing (we all know cast AR receivers don't last).

I am a little skeptical about the hand fitting idea he mentions here www.argonautarmament.com/frame_news.html, I want an adapter that will fit on my gun, without attacking things and removing material.

Did I mention its Canadian? Send your beer and bacon, keep the rest.  I'll buy American

(Hell you can keep your beer)
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ich is right... I plan on getting an 870 for my first shottie, then gradually upgrading it to the SST-870, then the picatinny and the red dot... I'll have to do it over time though, stuff's expensive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.cavalryarms.com/SST-870.html

Check them out.  I saw some at Alan Samuel Arms and they are nice.  I would rather me one of those, since it is damn near identical to an AR-15's egonomics.  The cheekweld makes it awsome for a red dot and turkey hunting at 50 yards with some 3 inch Nitro Mags easy.

Since them goofy looking adapters of argonauts are cast, I don't know how they will hold up long term, especially without hardcoat anodizing (we all know cast AR receivers don't last).

I am a little skeptical about the hand fitting idea he mentions here www.argonautarmament.com/frame_news.html, I want an adapter that will fit on my gun, without attacking things and removing material.

Did I mention its Canadian? Send your beer and bacon, keep the rest.  I'll buy American

(Hell you can keep your beer)

Sorry to burst your bubble Ich, but the Argonaut adapter it awesome!  Mine just came yesterday and I will be doing a full review with pics very shortly.

BTW, the fit and finish is AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't see these as the same at all.  The Argonaut allows you to use AR stocks and still use a plain barrel.  The SST is designed to use AR stocks in unison with optics.  Great for 3 gun shoots if you use optics.  But it seems you should plan on dedicating that gun to using optics if you use the SST adapter.

I have a slug barrel which is scope only, otherwise I always use a rib or a bead. So for me the SST is overkill until I decide I want to build a gun that is optics only.

I am guessing the argonaut will put your head higher than a standard 870 stock, so it would give good alignment for a scope.  For perfect alignment the SST may be the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see these as the same at all.  The Argonaut allows you to use AR stocks and still use a plain barrel.  The SST is designed to use AR stocks in unison with optics.  Great for 3 gun shoots if you use optics.  But it seems you should plan on dedicating that gun to using optics if you use the SST adapter.

You are correct.  The SST-870 was designed specifically to use optics effectively on a shotgun, with propper cheek weld and mirroring identically the dimensions on an AR15 for easier cross training.  Also keep in mind the SST-870 can use any AR15 stock  and any AR15 grip, and allows telestocks to be properly secured with their lock plates.

I have found it is much easier to transition when I am shooting 3 Gun matches bewtween rifle and shotgun when the cheek weld and sight picture on both are exactly the same.

I have a slug barrel which is scope only, otherwise I always use a rib or a bead. So for me the SST is overkill until I decide I want to build a gun that is optics only.

I am guessing the argonaut will put your head higher than a standard 870 stock, so it would give good alignment for a scope.  For perfect alignment the SST may be the way to go.

We have a front sight in the works for the 870 that can be installed with no gunsmithing and will work with any AR15 rear sight.

The only reason I am doing it is to make the product more appealing to LE departments that are not authorized to use red dot sights.

BTW I sent a sample unit to SEAL Team 7 for trials a few weeks ago and they were very pleased with it.  I expect them to purchase several more in the future.

Get a pic sometime of a SEAL with a shotgun.  Good post for those that think a shotgun has no real use in CQB.  Glad to hear you addded a bead sight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
just got my adapter yesterday. too bad i don't have an 870 YET. but, i am going to buy one VERY soon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
How are you legally importing these into the US?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Hello All!

Part of the import/export magic is a result of there being multiple foundries rigged up to make the Argonaut adapter...one of them is here in Canada and another is down in the US.

Take care,

BrobeeBiter
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a pic sometime of a SEAL with a shotgun.  Good post for those that think a shotgun has no real use in CQB.  Glad to hear you addded a bead sight.

Believe me I am working on it....but they are understandably sensitive about such things.

I was kind of suprised when they contacted me, I wasn't aware they were even using shotguns anymore.  Apparently at least one guy has it as his primary weapon...I would assume he is the guy that opens the doors that need a little extra push

Is there any plans for a Mossy 590 model in the future?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
OK just read the FAQ section on the site...When is the ETA for the 590 model?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Why would anyone be worried about ordering one from Canada? It's not like your ordering a reciever or anything. For all anyone knows its just a hunk of alloy.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have an ETA on the AR style front sight for the 870?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top