Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2003 5:37:50 PM EDT
I've been considering swapping my decked out 870 police for a tactical auto-loader. I'm sure the whole pump versus auto thing has been fought here several times, but lets hear it. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:57:22 PM EDT
I'd keep the Police AND get the tact autoloader.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:25:00 PM EDT
I agree with CC, keep it! Buy the auto and see oif you like it. My iron sighted 870 IS my goto gun %90 of the time.
CH
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:32:45 PM EDT
Keep it. More versatility in ammo, and with rare exceptions, more reliable under adverse conditions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:31:13 PM EDT
Everyone is right, you NEED both. The 870 is the gun when it is necessary to go bang every time. Auto loaders are for fun. Last time I am going to say this, you NEED several shotguns! They are like golf clubs, you need several. Or ay least that is the story I am sticking to with my wife. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:37:04 AM EDT
A couple of things to consider:

-You can load almost any pump gun one handed while keeping it on the threat; that's pretty much impossible with almost all self loaders
-True you can fire a self loader one handed until it's dry while you can only fire a pump gun once...every try and fire any shotgun one handed? This much praised so called advantage of the self loader isn't much of an advantage once you try it a few times.
-less to go wrong on a pump gun; less to remember on a pump gun when your are using it to correct someone else's wrong behavior

just stick with the pump.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:50:47 AM EDT
Remington autos are load picky. My 11/87 police wouldn't cycle anything but the high brass stuff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:14:22 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice. I wish I had the funds to get both, or maybe an M3. I'd like to hear more from some auto-loader owners who've had reliability problems. Also, MHPDblue mentioned that it's harder to load an auto-loader while holding on the target. Why is that? I thought the loading procedure was the same as with a pump. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
I never had any reliability problems with my Benellis as long as they were fed full power high base loads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:18:26 PM EDT
I don't like shotguns for defensive use. Yes, they have a purpose in LEO/military circles for things like breaching and non-lethal stuff but carbines are the answer! That being said I've had several 1100s and an 11/87 police that I used for three gun stuff. Remington autos are reliable with loads matched to the gun. The 1100 has a better gas system than the 11/87. KISS! The Benelli crowd will say that the Remingtons are too slow but I had splits in the low .20s with my 1100 at several matches.
Top Top