Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2003 9:57:46 PM EDT
I'd appreciate any and all possibilities/recommendations for such a (first) shotgun as described in subject of this post.
So come on folks, don't be shy with the specific recommendations!

Limitations are listed below:

I'd need to stay within average-Joe barrel lengths, no tactical beauties unfortunately, as I live in a very high gun-crime city that won't allow you to have a pellet gun without buying it from a FFL. (And this isn't even California!)

I'm willing to spend money, but not all-out top of the line$.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Guy over at www.shotgunworld.com has a LN Benelli Nova tactical pump. chrome lined 18.5" barrel, ghost ring sights for 'bout $250 plus shipping...If I hadn't just bought an 870 Wingmaster converted shotgun it would be mine...still thinking of it so buy it so I can stop thinking 'bout gettin it! :)
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I reccomend the Remington 870 security model.

Comes from the factory with Hi-visibility follower, 2 shot magazine extension, and synthetic stocks.  Barrel length is 18.5".  MSRP is $350.00...most dealers sell them for $300.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The catalog number for the Remington 870 security with the two shot extention is #5077. They can be had on gunsamerica.com for $250-$300. There are more after market goodies for the 870 than any other shotgun. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchester 1300!!! 7+1 capacity and speed-pump!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Can't go wrong with what everyone else recommended either.  All are good shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget about the Mossbergs.  For all intents and purposes, there isn't much funtional / reliability difference between the Mossberg and Remington pumps.  However, the Mossbergs do have the minor advantage of being available from the factory with excellent ghost ring sights.  They also have a 20" barreled model which has a higher magazine capacity (8 in the tube) than the same length on a Remington.

Here's Mossberg's page:

www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

Scroll down the page and check out #50663
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi!

My vote also goes to the 870 HD. If you're into tinkering, you might also want to think about chasing down an old 870 wingmaster and rigging her up for the HD role. While there is nothing wrong with the 870s of today, my opinion is that the old wingmasters are an even better gun.

Take care,

BrobeeBiter
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi Raulin,
Basically, in my mind, for the first time shotgun buyer it boils down to one of two pump action shotguns; either the Remington 870, or the Mossberg 500/590.  The Remington has been around a little longer and is used extensively by police and military, but the same can be said about the Mossberg.  Both are excellent guns.  I prefer the Mossberg and own a 590 w/eight round magazine, Galco buttcuff and TacStar side saddle.  This weapon will hold and carry 20 rounds of 12 gauge ammo, more than enough for any problem you're ever gonna face in or around the house (and have any realistic chance of surviving).  The reason I chose the Mossberg over the Remington is because both of the Mossberg's controls (safety and slide release) can be operated by the strong hand without moving it from the trigger position.
If you decide on the Mossberg I suggest the 590 with the "regular" trigger, NOT the "double action" trigger which duplicates the trigger pull of a revolver.
Coolio
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#10]

just kidding....

EDITED TO FIX LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top