Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2003 2:27:16 PM EDT
I've had the itch for an O/U shotgun for a while now, & now have the opportunity to buy a used Browning Citori for $600. While the gun isn't EXACTLY what I'm looking for, the deal looks too good to pass up.

The gun is a probably 20 years old & is an easy 95%. It is a skeet gun, with 26" barrels and FIXED chokes (skeet/skeet, I believe), a raised rib, and a wide forend. The underside of the receiver simply says "Browning Citori", and the barrel reads "special steel 12ga". There's just a little engraving along the sides of the receiver - nothing fancy. Serial # is 01681PT1XX.

The gun would be used for skeet & sporting clays, & possibly some trap shooting. I'm not a serious shotgun shooter - 'just something I like to do once in a while.

'Any opinions? $600 total, no tax or instacheck fees, seems like a pretty good price on this gun. The ideal gun would have maybe 28" barrels & screw-in chokes, but this gun might still do nicely.

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a fair price for a Citori in that condition.  You might want to check the chamber length; they may be 2 3/4", thus limiting your ammo selection if you decide to do anything other than casual clays or short range hunting.

Skeet chokes at a regulation trap field may be too open, depending on how quick you are.  If you are talking recreational "farm trap" with a hand thrower, you will be fine.  The effective distance with a skeet choke shooting target loads is limited to 30 - 35 yards or so, depending on how much "face" is showing on the target.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
2-3/4 inch chambers are fine for all clays sports - you are not allowed to use 3 inch shells.

The skeet / skeet will be fine for skeet and casual sporting but I feel its too open a choke for trap.

I use a newer model Browning O/U with screw chokes - most of the time I use IC but if I shoot trap I use mod or full.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top