Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 1:12:48 PM EDT
Just starting to accesorize my shotgun (win 1300 defender), and am not sure if a pistol grip would be worth it.  Just need to get some opinions on the matter so I don't waste any money.

Been looking at a regular pistol grip, pistol grip w/ standard stock,and a pistol grip w/ top-folding stock.

Will be used for blasting, home defense, and possible tactical matches.  

Most of the options can be seen here at cdnn:

www.cdnninvestments.com/winchester2.html

pics on shotgun here too:

www.allenslaw.com/at.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I"m old fashioned and shoulder shotguns the way they were intended to be used. When shouldered a normal stocks works fine for me so I see no advantage in a tricked out stock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes on my Remmy 1187.
No on my Mossy 590.
Each gun is different. One feels and works right one does not.
Sorry  I could not be of help on a win1300. Gotta try it and see how it feels.
Most people who really shoot alot though seem to prefer regular stocks. (from various conversations over the years).
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried a buddy's Rem 870 with a pistol grip, standard stock and it does seem slightly more comfortable to manuever than the factory stock.  Didn't get chance to shoot it though.

Whisper,
What kind of stock do you have on your 11/87?
I've been considering upgrading the factory stock on my 11/87P to a Speedfeed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Remmy has a speedfeedIII pistol  grip w/stock.
Feels good, handles well, properly positioned and proportioned. Love it.
Same brand on Mossberg was positioned too far back for my stubby fat fingers. Oh well, lose some win some.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses.  Looks like pistol grip w/ stock is the way to go.  

Now, which brand?  Are the speedfeeds the best, or is there something better?  If speedfeed, should I get the III or IV model?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  Looks like pistol grip w/ stock is the way to go.  

Now, which brand?  Are the speedfeeds the best, or is there something better?  If speedfeed, should I get the III or IV model?

I have a Choate and I'm very comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the choate adjustable stock on one of my 870's.  I keep it at it's shortest length.  Speedfeed makes a shorter stock too.  I am 5'10" and my arms are average length etc...  When you have a shotgun, with extended mag tube, 7 to 8 rounds, side saddle with 6 more rounds and a light, you have a gun that is heavy even if the barrel is only 20" long.  If you get your forearm elbow extended too far out, it becomes very hard to support that gun.  I like to make a shorter triangle with my elbow at that the downward point.

I also have noticed in recent years possibly some damage in my wrist, shoulder and elbows from recoil and other injuries.  Just wear and tear, I turn 40 next week!  So my elbow does not like beig extended out as far.

For me in a normal situation, like hunting, I prefer a standard stock, I can shoot either type quickly, but in some ways a standard stock handles better.  But for home defense, I find a shorter LOP combined with a pistol grip helps to control the gun better.  Again, tucking those elbows in "under" my gun.  A shorter LOP moves your trigger hand elbow back too.  It also makes 1 handed reloads easier while you keep the gun shouldered.  Field guns are carried a lot and shot a little, so they are light weight.  Tactical shotguns are heavy, different feel.

Finally, I find with heavy loads, I can keep the gun mounted even tighter on my shoulder when I use a pistol grip.  I prefer not to use magnum loads, and I shoot the same way regardless of loads being used, but I have conditioned myself when I pick up a shotgun with a pistol grip, I shoulder it just a little harder and firmer.  This always improves accuracy and it helps to reduce fatigue when practicing with it.  25 to 50 rounds of buck and slugs can wear you out!

PS I also believe that the wrist angle involved with a pistol grip is better for holding heavier weight up.  It brings your thumb back closer to your wrist, more like holding a 1911 in your hand, lets you lock your wrist.  It also rotates your arm more under the stock instead of running along side of it.  Remember these opinions are free!  But a stock won't cost you that much to experiment with it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, maybe time for a new poll for speedfeed or choate.  Anyone know if a good place to purchase the speedfeed or the choate online?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoulder the shotgun when I shoot it as well. But I find the pistol grip to be very nice with the general handing of the gun, especially when bringing it up to the shoulder to fire. But that is just me.

So I vote pistol grip w/standard stock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Mossberg 500 with an ATI pistol grip buttstock and I like it except that it is difficult to manipulate the action bar with it attached due to where the action bar is located. I am not sure if say a Winchester or Remington would be easier in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm quite happy with my PG Butler Creek Folder.  Mossy 500A baby!

FedGunner slowly got me to like shotguns (I used to hate them A LOT)!  Now I've learned to love my shotgun like it were my best friend...  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
1300 defender with speedfeed and surefire tac light.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweet weapons CT602!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I would have to go with the stock and sidewinder conversion by knoxx industries. A ten round detachable drum or 6 round box magazine is hard to beat. Their web site is http://www.knoxx.com/
Have fun drooling!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Just put on a standard stock with a pistol grip. You'll have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top